Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Recommendation for case for discreetly carrying iPhone 5

Recommendation for case for discreetly carrying iPhone 5

If only Tom Bihn made iPhone cases...but in the meantime, what do you all use? And more specifically, has anyone found a great, simple case that provides a decent amount of protection for the iPhone 5 without adding a lot of weight?

I'm asking because my normal iPhone case is a really cool combination phone case + wallet. I absolutely love it, but when we're traveling we often find ourselves in train stations and other areas in cities with pick-pocketing problems, so I have travel pants, travel boxers, travel belts, etc., that all have great spots to secure my cell phone - but my phone won't fit in most of those secured pockets while it's in this wallet case!

So, I'm thinking some sort of slim, basic case that protects the phone would be best, and then I'll use my Eagle Creek travel wallet as well, separately from my phone. So I'm looking for a recommendation for a lightweight, thin iPhone 5 case that would be good for travel. I have a screen protector on my phone, so screen protection isn't really needed.

Any of you have cases that fit this description that you love? There's just so many cases out there, I don't know where to even start looking, so a recommendation from someone based on actual use would be really helpful. Thanks!
    Super Ego, Ristretto, Western Flyer, Brain Cell, Travel Tray, Lots of Packing Cubes, Organizer Pouches & Straps, Snake Charmer and much, much more...

I highly recommend the OtterBox Commuter case for iPhones. It offers lightweight, but solid protection.

I especially like the rubber edges. They don't hinder my getting the phone in or out of my pocket, but they do offer some grip when I am holding the phone in my hand.

I have had the incipio dual pro since I got my phone in November and have been very impressed. Relatively slim profile, easy to grip, and my phone has survived multiple spills on tile, asphalt and concrete (I'm clumsy :s) completely unscathed. They're running about $10-15 on amazon depending on your color preference

I recently reviewed the Finn Wallet by Waterfield Designs. Very Nice. Made in USA.

Gear Review: Waterfield Designs Finn Wallet | One Bag, One World
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Take a look at the new Lifeproof nuud case. It doesn't use any screen protector, but is waterproof up to 6.5'! It's adds a little bulk but not too much in exchange for a lot of protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    enjih likes this.

I have been using a beautiful green leather flip case from Senn. It does not add a lot of bulk and offers the screen more "thud" protection (unless you're into the shattered screen look like the tech crowd around here). I don't use any other screen protection. Those stickons drive me crazy. I'm stickon-challenged. What can I say? Check out Senn.

I adore my Portenzo case! Mine is the iPad version, but I have my eye on the iPhone version, too. Portenzo.com.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I had the Sena Ultra Slim for my iPhone 4 and loved it - great protection with absolutely minimum bulk. I liked it so much that, when I got my iPhone 5, I ordered one in tan, but I also ordered an Otterbox Defender for when I'm quad biking. It turns out that I like the Otterbox so much that I use it all the time. It is very bulky and a little heavy, but I like its Tonka toy chunkiness and never worry about dropping or scratching it. I only use the Sena when I'm dressing up smart.

I did a You tube review of the Ultra Slim for iPhone 4 a while ago.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5MVBz5F3Oto

What are the differences between the Otterbox Commuter and Defender?

One can checkout Juice Pack Air External Battery Case for iPhone 5. Mophie Juice Pack Air External Battery Case for iPhone 5 has external battery and it gives me Up to 100% extra battery with the flip of a switch.

This case is stylish and protective as well.I Love this case as it is very handy .One Can Look at this stunning red case along with many amazing designer iphone5 cases here at iphone 5 cases,iphone 4/4s cases , iphone 5 casesName:  iphone17.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  11.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    What are the differences between the Otterbox Commuter and Defender?
    The Defender series is 3-layers of protection vs. the 2-layers of the Commuter. This is predominantly giving you more protection on the front of your device. The Commuter is a thin screen protector, a silicone bumper-style case, and a hard polycarbonate outer layer. The Defender is a beefier screen protector that covers around the front and front sides of the device, a polycarbonate back shell, and a silicone outer case for the whole thing.

Obviously, one will be a lot bulkier than the other.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    The Defender series is 3-layers of protection vs. the 2-layers of the Commuter. This is predominantly giving you more protection on the front of your device. The Commuter is a thin screen protector, a silicone bumper-style case, and a hard polycarbonate outer layer. The Defender is a beefier screen protector that covers around the front and front sides of the device, a polycarbonate back shell, and a silicone outer case for the whole thing.

Obviously, one will be a lot bulkier than the other.

Thank You So Much!

I got the Defender in purple and it is the ultra perfect match for my Nordic/UV Small Cafe Bag!

I am so happy, I think it was a sunshiny day even if it was cloudy!

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I recently reviewed the Finn Wallet by Waterfield Designs. Very Nice. Made in USA.

Gear Review: Waterfield Designs Finn Wallet | One Bag, One World
    Are you using this yourself Frank? I am very interested in how bulky they get with an iPhone inside.
    --------------------------------

I find Otterboxes to be bulky. I just use a simple silicone cover. They're available pretty much everywhere. Not sure what country you're in, but if in the USA you can get a good quality inexpensive one at Marshall's, or TJMaxx. I got a Disney one at Marshall's. Just good quality silicone with Mickey Mouse on the back. $8. But theres always a ton to choose from. Lots of name brands. I also like the ones made by JCrew.

I've used a Sena Ultra Slim case ever since I've had my iPhone 4. It's definitely minimal (just a layer of leather) but I like that. I usually carry my phone in my shirt pocket (in uniform and off-duty) or in my front pants pocket if I'm wearing a shirt without a pocket. I found out long ago that having any electronics on my belt is a bad idea for me. The Ultra Slim is very snug at first and takes a bit of practice on getting the phone out of it, but the leather loosens up nicely after a week or two without every getting too loose. I've had mine for about 2 years now and it still looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I had the Sena Ultra Slim for my iPhone 4 and loved it - great protection with absolutely minimum bulk. I liked it so much that, when I got my iPhone 5, I ordered one in tan, but I also ordered an Otterbox Defender for when I'm quad biking. It turns out that I like the Otterbox so much that I use it all the time. It is very bulky and a little heavy, but I like its Tonka toy chunkiness and never worry about dropping or scratching it. I only use the Sena when I'm dressing up smart.

I did a You tube review of the Ultra Slim for iPhone 4 a while ago.

SENA Ultra Slim for iPhone 4 - YouTube

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0