Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Carry on luggage weight limit?

Carry on luggage weight limit?

Hi, I'm a new forum member and I'll be making a trip in December to China. Just curious, has anyone flown on Air China, not to be confused with China Airlines? If so, do they strictly enforce their 11kg weight limit for carry on luggage? I flew on China Eastern airlines last December and it seemed like there was no weight restrictions at all. Any answers would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!!
    whisper likes this.

I've flown them twice, both leaving from Vancouver B.C. My Tristar was not weighed either time.
    Of course, another airport may be quite different.

Bags were, however, being weighed on Air China leaving from Beijing, and excess bag fees were being paid, though not by me, luckily.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I've flown them twice, both leaving from Vancouver B.C. My Tristar was not weighed either time.
    Of course, another airport may be quite different.

Bags were, however, being weighed on Air China leaving from Beijing, and excess bag fees were being paid, though not by me, luckily.
    Hi Flitcraft,

Thanks for the response, it's very helpful. Makes sense that it depends on the airport, just wish the weight limit was more reasonable. I guess I need to pack light or pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by ykang2375 View Post
    Thanks for the response, it's very helpful. Makes sense that it depends on the airport, just wish the weight limit was more reasonable. I guess I need to pack light or pay up.
    An 11kg carry-on weight limit actually is quite reasonable compared to the global industry at large. Increasingly, many European and budget airlines are in the 6-7kg range. Most major international airlines seem to have settled on 10kg. It's really only the major US carriers who have larger allowances than that (and who knows how long that will last given airline consolidation and the industry trend towards lighter and fewer bags).

That being said, depending on what bag you're carrying, you really wouldn't want to hand carry more much more than that. Unless you are using a rolling bag, general rule of thumb is 10% of your body weight. Much easier to move around when you aren't encumbered by big, heavy luggage. Try to pack lighter and/or plan to wash/re-wear some clothes.
    Own: Aeronaut (Navy/Iberian), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Travel Tray (Iberian), organizer wallet (Wasabi), passport pouch (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps
    Want: Synapse or Smart Alec

That is actually 24 lb for carryon. Pretty much every other airline is 22 lb or less.

Thanks for the responses, I checked again it's actually 5kg weight limit. A little over 11 pounds. Hopefully they don't weigh my bag or I can keep it limited to 11 pounds.

I went abroad in winter with my ballistic Aeronaut and it weighed in at 12 pounds. I'm sure that with a Dyneema travel bag (or even a ballistic nylon bag if you pack a little more lightly) and some careful planning you can hit 11 pounds easily. Keep in mind, too, that TB bags have excellent capacity but appear to have the dimensions of large-ish book bags. I seriously saw children with school backpacks that looked much bigger than my Aeronaut.

JLE
    Thanks for the responses, I checked again it's actually 5kg weight limit. A little over 11 pounds. Hopefully they don't weigh my bag or I can keep it limited to 11 pounds.
    5kg is a pretty tight restriction even on Asian airlines, IME. Do you have a TB travel bag? The Western Flyer is perfect for that sort of weight limit. There wouldn't be much point using rolling luggage, as the weight of the empty bag alone would chew up a large chunk of your weight allowance.

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    5kg is a pretty tight restriction even on Asian airlines, IME. Do you have a TB travel bag? The Western Flyer is perfect for that sort of weight limit. There wouldn't be much point using rolling luggage, as the weight of the empty bag alone would chew up a large chunk of your weight allowance.
    Hi JLE,

I actually don't have a Tom Bihn bag yet, I'm still trying to decide between the Aeronaut and the Tri-Star. I did see the post about that same issue as well. I'm leaning more towards the Tri-Star after seeing the packing video of the Tri-Star, looks perfect for my needs. Before I heard about Tom Bihn I was actually considering getting one of the those rolling cases from Tumi, now that idea seems stupid, the case weighs 5 to 6 pounds empty. The Western Flyer looks pretty interesting too but maybe a bit too small for an international trip but thanks for the suggestion. I plan on packing extremely light anyway.

Actually, the Western Flyer works surprisingly well in comparison to the Tristar if you aren't toting along a laptop. For me, the middle compartment of the Tristar is where I stash my laptop and charger, my liquids and gels baggie, and a small amount of items for onboard usage (that I remove once I'm on the plane as I get into my seat.)

Clothing wise, I feel like I can carry just about the same amount in both the WF or the TS (even though the TS is somewhat bigger, it doesn't seem to make that much difference.) Of course, it really depends on where you're going, when you're going, and what you're doing. My trips are mainly business casual (with some sightseeing thrown in), so I wear my adaptable neutral jacket on the plane to save space (and bring silk long undies tops to wear under my clothing for additional warmth for fall and spring travel). If you need more business attire (like suits) or hiking shoes or the like, then the extra space in the TS will make a difference.

I probably take the TS about half of my international trips and the WF on the others. I'd do the WF more, I suspect, except that mine has the old sling-strap, so I can't use it in backpack mode, and have to carry it with the Absolute should strap (which I highly, highly recommend whichever bag you get--it is the most comfortable shoulder strap you will ever own!)
    JLE likes this.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    Actually, the Western Flyer works surprisingly well in comparison to the Tristar if you aren't toting along a laptop. For me, the middle compartment of the Tristar is where I stash my laptop and charger, my liquids and gels baggie, and a small amount of items for onboard usage (that I remove once I'm on the plane as I get into my seat.)

Clothing wise, I feel like I can carry just about the same amount in both the WF or the TS (even though the TS is somewhat bigger, it doesn't seem to make that much difference.) Of course, it really depends on where you're going, when you're going, and what you're doing. My trips are mainly business casual (with some sightseeing thrown in), so I wear my adaptable neutral jacket on the plane to save space (and bring silk long undies tops to wear under my clothing for additional warmth for fall and spring travel). If you need more business attire (like suits) or hiking shoes or the like, then the extra space in the TS will make a difference.

I probably take the TS about half of my international trips and the WF on the others. I'd do the WF more, I suspect, except that mine has the old sling-strap, so I can't use it in backpack mode, and have to carry it with the Absolute should strap (which I highly, highly recommend whichever bag you get--it is the most comfortable shoulder strap you will ever own!)
    Thanks for the advice flitcraft, though this makes my decision even harder. I do appreciate your input though.

I actually don't have a Tom Bihn bag yet, I'm still trying to decide between the Aeronaut and the Tri-Star. I did see the post about that same issue as well. I'm leaning more towards the Tri-Star after seeing the packing video of the Tri-Star, looks perfect for my needs. Before I heard about Tom Bihn I was actually considering getting one of the those rolling cases from Tumi, now that idea seems stupid, the case weighs 5 to 6 pounds empty. The Western Flyer looks pretty interesting too but maybe a bit too small for an international trip but thanks for the suggestion. I plan on packing extremely light anyway.
    as much i like the aeronaut (it's my favorite of the TB 'travel' bags), i don't think it's the best choice for your Air China flight.

assuming you are flying from north america, Air China economy passengers are allowed two checked bags, each bag has a max weight of 50lbs. additionally, Air China doesn't seem to allow passengers to take a personal bag such as a briefcase/knapsack/tote in addition to the carryon aboard the plane.

assuming that with such a generous baggage allowance, you won't be putting much in the way of clothes or shoes into the carryon, then the carryon bag will hold primarily laptop/tablet/electronics, snacks, 3-1-1 kit, travel/in-flight necessities/accessories (reading material, pillow, eye-mask, etc). the organizational layout of the TS or WF are much better [than the aeronaut] in this regard.

are you planning on doing more trips in the future and how often do you fly with airlines like Air China that have similar carryon restrictions?

JLE
    Hi JLE,

The Tri Star was my first Tom Bihn purchase and I have used it for (almost) one bag travel throughout Asia (on airlines with a 7kg weight limit). It's a great bag for this sort of travel. The main reason I prefer the WF over the TS now is that the WF doesn't bulge as much even when it's heavily packed and as a result I find it a bit easier to carry. But that's a personal perspective. With a 5kg weight limit, I'd say the TS would be all you'd need. But it depends what other travel you'll be doing in future as well, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Filmbuff View Post
    as much i like the aeronaut (it's my favorite of the TB 'travel' bags), i don't think it's the best choice for your Air China flight.

assuming you are flying from north america, Air China economy passengers are allowed two checked bags, each bag has a max weight of 50lbs. additionally, Air China doesn't seem to allow passengers to take a personal bag such as a briefcase/knapsack/tote in addition to the carryon aboard the plane.

assuming that with such a generous baggage allowance, you won't be putting much in the way of clothes or shoes into the carryon, then the carryon bag will hold primarily laptop/tablet/electronics, snacks, 3-1-1 kit, travel/in-flight necessities/accessories (reading material, pillow, eye-mask, etc). the organizational layout of the TS or WF are much better [than the aeronaut] in this regard.

are you planning on doing more trips in the future and how often do you fly with airlines like Air China that have similar carryon restrictions?
    Hi Filmbuff, I don't do a ton of traveling but when I do I tend to take carry on baggage and pack lightly. I'm leaning towards the Tristar, I like how the front pockets are arranged and its three compartments. I know it tends to get wide when it gets over packed but I don't plan on taking too many clothes with me. Thanks for the advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    The Tri Star was my first Tom Bihn purchase and I have used it for (almost) one bag travel throughout Asia (on airlines with a 7kg weight limit). It's a great bag for this sort of travel. The main reason I prefer the WF over the TS now is that the WF doesn't bulge as much even when it's heavily packed and as a result I find it a bit easier to carry. But that's a personal perspective. With a 5kg weight limit, I'd say the TS would be all you'd need. But it depends what other travel you'll be doing in future as well, of course.
    Hi JLE, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I think I'm going with the Tristar, the Aeronaut looks like a great bag too but it seems to look awkward when it's half full. I don't think I need to worry too much about the Tristar bulge, I'll pack light and smart. Thanks for the post, I really appreciate it!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast