Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Grandcache
  • 2 Post By nsh

Thread: A Getaway Bag in the Rare Event of a Plane Crash

A Getaway Bag in the Rare Event of a Plane Crash

Sorry to bring up a troubling topic, but ever since the disaster in San Francisco, I've been thinking about what I would have the presence of mind to take with me if I was rushing out of a burning plane. On one level, this seems like a silly question. I'd be ok with losing my clothes and kindle, and I really hope I wouldn't be one of those people dragging my carry-on down the slide. This is almost a criminal thing to do when the lives of people behind you depend on getting out quickly. But I would really want some cash, a credit card and a phone to communicate with friends and family. If I was in a foreign country, not having my passport could be a real problem.

Frank really summed it up well here.

He suggested keeping these valuable things in a small bag, a money belt, or pockets. After some reflection, I'm seriously thinking now of taking something very small (too small for the flight attendants to tell me to put it under the seat in front of me during takeoff or landing), that would hold just the basics. A dyneema Side Effect might work.

What do others do? Will this accident change the way you travel?

I think it's a topic well worth considering. I carry a small purse (probably Side Effect size) cross body during my trip, after having removed it from my larger carryon. In it are extra glasses, my credit cards, cash, passport, and phone. Don't need much else.
    Monkeylady

I almost always wear a travel jacket during the flight, with interior pockets for a passport, boarding passes, a Tom Bihn wallet with my emergency cash (3 or 4 100 dollar bills), my phone, and in the outside pockets, a few little sundries of a non-emergency type for plane use (a chapstick, some tissues, a packet with the meds I need, a pen, etc.) I'm happier knowing that if I fell asleep, my absolute essentials are on my person and can't be easily stolen; and then again, there's that "leave all carry-ons behind" business, too.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I've been thinking about this too ... I had to put my ipad ristretto in the overhead for landing on a flight a while back .. business class, there was no seat in front to put it under and no other safe spot for it in my otherwise luxurious "pod". Next time a side effect will be with me to be my keep-with-me-at-all-times(if possible) bag.
    List under construction ....

I wear a ScotteVest to keep all my critical items on my person when I travel. Women's Travel Vests, Travel Clothing, Wrinkle-Free, Lightweight:SCOTTEVEST, INC./SeV

That being said, I have also worn a Side Effect cross body on many flights without being challenged by the airline staff. It seems like the TB Passport Pouch could also be used for certain items.
    nsh likes this.
    Lots of assorted purples, some blues, and a bit of black: 2S19, 5SE, 2WF, MCB, SCB, Imago, 2S, LS, TT, K, 2QC, 5 3D, 4WFSBPC, 2WFBPPC, FJNB, 4Wallets, 4LSB, 2SSB, DLBP, Pilot, Assorted sacks, packing cubes, organizer pouches, key straps :-)

nsh
    I always carry my TB passport pouch with id, iphone, cash, a small space pen, tissues, and chapstick around my neck. When I doze I hang my eyeglasses off the pouch for easy access. I also wear my RoadID bracelet around my wrist on trips because it contains my vital information (name, address, phone, allergies) and ICE contact.

Quote Originally Posted by daisy View Post
    I've been thinking about this too ... I had to put my ipad ristretto in the overhead for landing on a flight a while back .. business class, there was no seat in front to put it under and no other safe spot for it in my otherwise luxurious "pod". Next time a side effect will be with me to be my keep-with-me-at-all-times(if possible) bag.
    Daisy -- I had the same experience when I got to fly business class once, sitting next to my boss. I was a little horrified when they grabbed my bag from me and placed it in the overhead, but I tried to be low-key about it. On the way back I was more prepared, and pulled some of my things out to keep with me.

Anyway, I did order a dyneema Side Effect with a waist pack. This will go with me when I travel, and will hold my passport, iPhone and other vitals.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0