Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By J4c3
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 1 Post By flitcraft

Thread: Emmirates help pls!

Emmirates help pls!

Hi
    I have just Booked 14 Nights in Mauritius from the UK flying out of Birmingham Airport but Just checked Emmirates carry on allowance

I was hoping to take our new his & hers Aeronauts but im not sure this is possible now,Has anyone carried an Aeronaut with Emmirates as carry on while Not taking other baggage along.

sending out the Bihn Bat signal in hope of rescue.
    Thanks for reading and responses.
    kind Regards
    Jace
    Last edited by J4c3; 06-17-2013 at 08:26 AM.

What is the carry on allowance?

15lb (7kg) Sadly

Can you find out from web searches (I know this is what you are doing here, but you might tap a larger audience), whether or not they routinely weigh the bags on this airline. Some airlines have strict rules but don't enforce them.

My strategy would be to pack lightly so the Aeronauts do not look over-stuffed, but keep my essential items in a cube or some type of bag that fits inside. This way, if they do insist you check the bags, you can quickly pull out your essentials; maybe a few changes of clothes, toiletries, medications, and what you need for the flight, and let them check the Aeronaut. Might also be good to have an ID tag on each bag, again just in case. Hopefully it will be a gate-check only, and you can retrieve them immediately upon landing.

I often find that I don't get challenged if I act as if the bag is not heavy. Not wearing them as backpacks at the gate helps, for instance. I tend to even tuck the shoulder strap inside, and simply hold the hand grip while I'm boarding the airline.

But it's good to be prepared for the worst case scenario.

Lots of info of actual users most of them frequent flyers
    Emirates Skywards - FlyerTalk Forums

Airline Review forum
    Emirates Airline Customer Reviews | SKYTRAX

New to me review site
    Emirates Reviews | Airline Reviews | Review Centre

I flew to Europe, in very early Spring (we had snow, cold and sun) with a Dyneema Aeronaute and Tristar both 7kg.

It can be done with Dyneema Travel Bag but with Ballistic ones, I am not sure.

If you can, buy Dyneema Travel Bags, they will be very useful on most airlines, even the U.S domestic airlines, eventually.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-17-2013 at 11:46 AM.

I'm in the same dilemma myself but with Singapore Airlines.

I've packed my Aeronaut and it comes in at 5.5kg but I also want to carry onboard my Medium Cafe Bag too. From what it looks like Singapore Airlines has a 7kg allowance but they also allow an additional item like a laptop or a ladies hand bag. No proviso for a Man Bag though! Oh well I figure I'll still be alright with the Googling I've done but I'll soon find out on Saturday. The last thing I want to do is check my Aeronaut on a Perth-Singapore-Frankfurt-New York flight. That's just too many stops for something to go wrong like a lost bag or damage occurring.

Well, I hope you both report back.
    I am flying Swiss this fall. They have restrictions, too, though with slightly higher limits. When I flew them two years ago I didn't see any enforcement or weighing of bags.

Thanks very much guys ,I think I shall have to use the aeronauts on another occasion sadly.

Just became the owner of a dyneema smart alec which i will use instead,many thanks for your help/advice

J

Quote Originally Posted by dgarbutt View Post
    I'm in the same dilemma myself but with Singapore Airlines.

I've packed my Aeronaut and it comes in at 5.5kg but I also want to carry onboard my Medium Cafe Bag too. From what it looks like Singapore Airlines has a 7kg allowance but they also allow an additional item like a laptop or a ladies hand bag. No proviso for a Man Bag though! Oh well I figure I'll still be alright with the Googling I've done but I'll soon find out on Saturday. The last thing I want to do is check my Aeronaut on a Perth-Singapore-Frankfurt-New York flight. That's just too many stops for something to go wrong like a lost bag or damage occurring.

A link that talks about this.

SQ luggage allowance in Y: 20kg + 7 kg only? - FlyerTalk Forums

You could place your laptop or tablet in a slim protective case, inside the MCB, that would make it a laptop bag.
    I usually carried a netbook in a Cache inside a Large Cafe Bag, but it was on domestic U.S flights.

I also took an iPad Mini in a protective keyboard case, in a Synapse 19 in 400D Dyneema on an European flight with weight requirement but the weight allowance was higher.
    Last edited by backpack; 06-21-2013 at 05:56 AM.

Most airlines (not including extreme low cost carriers like Ryan Air) that have restrictive weight policies only weigh the 'main' carry-on, not the 'personal item.' When I flew Air New Zealand recently, they weighed all the duffles/backpacks/rollaboards, and most flunked. But since my Western Flyer only had clothing in it, it passed--all my heavy stuff (computers, phone, papers, etc) were in my un-weighed Imago!
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I've flown with my aeronaut on emirates multiple times. They are not very strict on enforcing the weight limit and don't always want to weigh it. I have also flown with an electric guitar in a hard case as cabin baggage which exceeds their size restrictions, so its definitely not like the European airlines which have been very strict in my experience.

Just be courteous to the check in agent and make sure your bag doesn't look overstuffed and attract attention.

Thanks guys,two days to go and in the end I think im going to take a main case and use my Smart Alec for carry on with my Macbook and pico projector,action cam its a tad over but all these items are on a TB slip ,so i can remove them all easily at a checkpoint.
    last holiday was in 2001 im sure ready

You can ask someone else to take the extra bag while you're checking in.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0