Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: hotel rooms cleanliness.

You know before the Internet, and purell, and anti bac wipes, we all stayed in hotel rooms and lived to see another day. Are we all grosser, or dirtier, or buggier than before? I've never gotten sick, or brought home bed bugs. I don't get it. We all have immune systems. That's what they're used for. The only precaution I do is wear flip flops, and I don't use ice from the ice machine unless its just to cool down bottled water.

Hehe I'm with TOBaggirl. I check hotels for a living and living in southeast asia. Most properties wherein the owners are really hands on tend to have the nicest ambiance and acceptable if not overly cleanliness practices. I hotel room-hop small amount of germs never killed anybody haha.

If you're oc about this then...
    1. Use flip flops on hotel showers. It'll make you feel better.
    2. Invest on a lightweight travel towel
    3. Wipe with alcohol that toilet seat after a fresh flush before your first use.
    4. Bring a lightweight sleepsheet. I made my own from old sarong sheets
    5. Choose online booking sites that only post legit reviews from actual customers regardless if + or -. Anybody can post a review in tripadvisor.

Some people have compromised immune systems, some have allergies/sensitivities, for those people bedbugs and/or mosquitoes bites can ruin the day or the entire vacation.

In hot and humid climates, it is even easier to catch something, because bacteria and other nasty things thrive in that environment.

In cold rooms with inadequate heating systems, a cold is easily caught and for some, can become pneumonia in a hurry. No laughing matter.

Why should I have to bring extra things to make my hotel room habitable?

I pay to have a clean room (fresh linen, enough towels, working bathroom fixtures, working tv, ); appointed with extras (fridge and microwave); which I expect to be clean and work.

Additionally, I expect the staff to be easy to contact and able to resolve any maintenance problem that could occur or be moved into another room/given a discount.
    It would be nice if they were trained in emergency procedures, especially in areas prone to disasters.

If we don't demand great service, we will receive Fawlty Tower style rubbish.
    Last edited by backpack; 09-13-2013 at 03:29 PM.

I always take a pair of dirt-cheap plastic flip-flops when I travel, to use as slippers (and not just for hotels). I even wear them in the shower (something I started to do long ago back when I wound up with my face on the floor (mat) a lot). I'm still working-out the best way to carry them in my new Western Flyer, but with my Aeronaut, they are the first thing I pack in one of the end pockets.
    Better than socks, because I can even wear them down to breakfast if I want.

After reading all of this thread, I've decided to start wearing this to lounge around my hotel room and use as pajamas:

Name:  biohazard-suit1.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  8.8 KB
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Yes, but how well does it fit in your wf? Hahahaha. Oh, yeah- and how much does it weigh - snicker
    Ilkyway likes this.

Luckily I travel with an Aeronaut. However, I usually wear it on the plane. I have ever since reading this thread:

Under seat bag storage
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Like the checking list Frank made, but I will always take a pair of flip-flop when planning to live in a hotel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0