Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Travel purse that folds up

I can third the Longchamps. My wife has had her Le Pliage for years now and it is always an easy to pack, go to out and about purse. Folds small, carries a lot, pretty light, still quite fashionable. Probably the only gripe is that it lacks any real organization inside (just one small pocket), so if you carry a lot of little things, you spend a lot of time digging around.

Thanks! I know someone who is a big fan of the Longchamps, and I see a lot of people carrying them. I may take another look!

I'll *fourth* the Longchamps Le Pliage. My wife just got one a few weeks ago at Nordstrom and loves it! Don't know which size, but it's quite small folded up.

A lot of Longchamps fans! I went in another direction, with a Maruca crossbody bag. Pros: Made in the U.S., and a beautiful fabric. Con: Doesn't actually fit in the Synapse lower pocket, but it is almost flat and should go nicely into the Western Flyer alongside a packing cube.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I'm visiting Jordan, Israel, and will have a day-long stopover in Zurich. In Zurich, particularly, I want a shoulder bag rather than a backpack, so that I can take it into museums without checking it. I intend to carry a Synapse as well for the flight, but that will be stowed in an airport locker while I explore the city.
    Out of curiousity, what time of year are you going? It's my wife and my 5 year anniversary this fall, and I think she's settled on going to Jordan and/or Israel (over my choice of India and Nepal) for a couple of weeks. I need to plan out our bag situation now too... Which means: Shopping time!
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

I am going in the first half of November. The flights were slightly cheaper then, compared to October, and I am hoping it won't be as hot. (I can't stand heat.) There is a slightly higher chance of rain. However, I have been told that spring is one of the loveliest times of year to visit, so you may want to consider that, depending on your timing. Either way, it's advised to look up all the Jewish and Muslim holidays, so you can avoid peak periods when flights are more expensive and hotels harder to book.

If it helps your planning, it's possible to fly into Tel Aviv on Swiss and out of Amman on Lufthansa. This way I only have to do the land-crossing once. The two airlines are owned by the same company, so it was not more expensive to do it this way.

Well, have fun!! I have been thinking about this trip for years. Maybe you and your wife can do India on your 10th anniversary!
    Last edited by bchaplin; 07-09-2013 at 05:23 AM.

I usually take the lightweight Kipling Alvar crossbody with me. I can fold it (mostly empty) and put it in the bottom of my Synapse 19. However, the bag is quite slim, so might be happier tucked flat inside the main compartment of the backpack or in your WF.

I hook a Clear Organizer wallet to the Alvar key strap, so my ID and cash are attached to my bag. I like the cloth strap - it's wide and doesn't slip. The fabric sheds water, and the bag zips closed. This bag is a great size for carrying a small water bottle, guidebook, camera. Can't speak to the Kindle fit- don't have one to try, sorry. The Kipling worked well for trips like Kauai, Boston, Africa. It's heading to my MFA residency in August. (which may include a side trip to the Bihn factory!)

Just saw that you are going to Israel. This bag was really good for the dust in Uganda (took brown on that trip, rather than black or teal). I loved Israel!
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 07-09-2013 at 09:34 AM.

I'm a fan of the tapestry bags made by Maple Leather. They come in a variety of sizes, pack absolutely flat, and the strap can be adjusted simply by tying a knot on the inside of the bag. The fabrics range from wild to mild designs and if you were looking for dressy, their plain black with embossed design would be perfect. The black and gold waves is another subtle pattern that would fit the bill, too. Handmade in the USA, too, if that matters to you.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

If it's not too late.....I'll weigh in with the Baggalinis. They are super light weight, come in many configurations and colors. There are organizer pockets galore, they're washable. I have dumped ALL my fine leather bags in deference to carrying these. My daily bag is big enough for my I pad mini, my android, wallet, and other bits and pieces. And even a small camera if not carrying the mini ipad.. It fits in my carryon. Let me know if you're interested and I'll let you know which ones I have and love and why.
    Monkeylady

I will send you a PM!

LeSportsac are good quality

Thanks for the Maruca brand mention, I never heard of it before. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pacsafe, my go-to brand for travel. The security features put Pacsafe at the top of my list for EDC both at home and on trips. Eagle Creek has some nice designs right now, and a good sale at REI. You won't blend in with the locals with a Longchamps bag, I avoid expensive brands for overseas travel. My old standby is a LeSportsac medium tote in black, it packs flat and is unobtrusive. Let us know what you decide!
    Moose likes this.

[QUOTE=FunNut;51266]Thanks for the Maruca brand mention, I never heard of it before. I'm surprised no one has mentioned Pacsafe, my go-to brand for travel. The security features put Pacsafe at the top of my list for EDC both at home and on trips.

I like Pacsafe too and have two or three. I can tell you TSA security folks do NOT like them. I've had my purse go through the scanner three times. They didn't like the built in wire mesh. Made them a bit nuts. Got some really odd looks while my bag went back and back and back yet again.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

[QUOTE=Moose;51283]
    Quote Originally Posted by FunNut View Post
    ... I like Pacsafe too and have two or three. I can tell you TSA security folks do NOT like them. ...
    Moose
    Funny! That's reason enough to take one. Actually, I have a Pacsafe bag that bought for Europe but I never ended up using. It is heavy for what it is, and doesn't quite hold all my things. Well, the places I'm going are not supposed to have high crime rates. I'm actually most worried about the TSA pilfering my things. I always do an inventory immediately after I get my bag, before leaving the belt area.

I use a nylon purse from Derek Alexander. It's a more horizontal bag. Black with a while logo in a strip across the front. TONS of organizational pockets. Long adjustable straps. I paid $35. I think you can even toss it in the washing machine. I also have a Sherpani Milli, but I found it too small for my needs. But it's pretty. The DA is not pretty. Just functional.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0