Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How much weight do you typically carry on 1-2 week trips?

cucciasv, that is an awesome post!! I LOVE reading about how other people solve their travel problems. I really appreciate that you provided links.

The iPad mini certainly has its enthusiasts. I will have to look into it sometime, but for now, I agree with thisisme, there are practical limits on how much I can carry, and probably will just abandon the iPad entirely and rely on the iPhone and Kindle. It's not just a matter of getting there, but what I carry with me on a daily basis. I may look into one of those eye-fi cards for the camera, because then at least I could upload the photos to the 'cloud' for safe-keeping as I go.

14 pounds for my main bag seems about right. I will just have to keep paring it down. On previous travels, I've gotten to a point where I am just exhausted from carrying too much stuff, and that's no fun.

And, cucciasv, I like the travel power strip, but it would be great if it had a few more USB slots. Is it very compact?

I have two international adaptors that have built in surge protectors, which I find very useful when I go to places with frequent power surges. Very much like this. I end up taking two in case one shorts out, or more likely, someone wants to borrow one.

the only gadget i travel with is my cellphone which does so much stuff like taking hd pics and vids. one phone and its charger. small and light. toiletries? buy at destination. ebooks? on the phone. but really. who really reads while you are traveling or at the airport? there is so much to do and to watch/observe.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

nsh
    I travel to the Middle East quite often for work and vacation. One way you can certainly cut down on your bag weight is with careful clothing selections. I tend to pack 1 long black skirt, 1 pair of black cotton pants that breathe but can be worn to nicer dinner spots, and a few (3-4) versatile cotton tunic tops. Men could opt for 1 pair of khaki pants, 1 pair of black pants, and a few breathable button up shirts. I take one pair of shoes (Dansko/Keen) that I can walk around all day in and 1 pair of "nice" (black) flip flops. You might actually consider waiting to buy some tops until you arrive there because you can find many options that fit the local look for an affordable price at the markets. They sell beautiful scarves that you can tie in different ways to switch up your look too. Also, sending your laundry out for a wash is incredibly affordable (even at nice hotels) compared to most other spots in the world if you are worried about being sweaty and needing to change clothes more frequently.
    I hope you have fun travels!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I recommend the iPod touch as an excellent world traveling tools. One person who took me up on this is a serial world traveler. He uses it instead of an iPad, laptop, camera and smart phone. Often he sends me emails from far flung places (including North Korea recently) on his iPod or posts on FaceBook. Whilst it isn't as advanced as an iPad or laptop, it's a tiny fraction of the size and weight of either and is far more practical as a camera. It also fits in your pocket so you are less likely to suffer the same fate as "The Quest for Awesome" did this week as you are less likely to leave it in your room as you might your laptop and camera. This type of thinking is what you need to consider if you want to be a truly light weight traveler.
    Lara likes this.

nsh, thanks -- that's very helpful. Do you happen to know if, in a place like Jordan, it is ok for a woman to wear a backpack? I'm debating between that and a shoulder bag. When/if I go, I plan to be in a mix of places that will be urban and rural. I really haven't decided which would be easier to carry but I did recently get a Smart Alec in Nordic dyneema, with the thought of possibly using it on this trip.
    nsh likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    I recommend the iPod touch as an excellent world traveling tools. One person who took me up on this is a serial world traveler. He uses it instead of an iPad, laptop, camera and smart phone. Often he sends me emails from far flung places (including North Korea recently) on his iPod or posts on FaceBook. Whilst it isn't as advanced as an iPad or laptop, it's a tiny fraction of the size and weight of either and is far more practical as a camera. It also fits in your pocket so you are less likely to suffer the same fate as "The Quest for Awesome" did this week as you are less likely to leave it in your room as you might your laptop and camera. This type of thinking is what you need to consider if you want to be a truly light weight traveler.
    Definitely. Whatever else I take, my iPhone 5 will go with me. It's unlocked, so I'll either stick a SIM card in it and use it as a phone, or at the very least turn off the cellular and have it for the functions you describe above. It can use wifi where available. However I can't read on it very comfortably, so it shares space in my bag with the kindle. When I went to South Africa last year I took my iPhone as my sole camera, but I was disappointed in the results. Sad, because I'll probably never visit there again. So in the future my 'real' camera comes too.

The tablet may have to stay at home though.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 05-10-2013 at 12:49 PM.

nsh
    Back packs and shoulder bags are both fine. Neither would look strange. I tend to prefer the shoulder bag to reduce back sweat from wearing my backpack on hot days. I use my MCB and think it works great.

nsh
    @ bchaplin--I found this woman's packing list on travel in the Middle East and thought you might find it useful: Female Travel Packing List for the Middle East - Her Packing List
    I hope it helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0