Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Samoa Airlines to begin charging BY YOUR WEIGHT!

Samoa Airlines to begin charging BY YOUR WEIGHT!

Check out this article: Samoa airline introduces pay-by-weight pricing - CBS News

No, this is not an April Fool's joke. Apparently Samoa Airlines is going to start charging 93 cents per kilogram. When you purchase your ticket online, they ask you how much you weigh and how much luggage you're taking. Then when you get to the airport, you step on a scale with your luggage, and I guess you pay the difference if you lied about your weight.

Everybody's up in arms about this (remember when Southwest Air said they'd charge a large passenger two tickets?), but I think these news stories are missing an obvious angle: TAKE LESS LUGGAGE!

If there was ever a reason to travel light and one-bag it, this is it. If I travel with just 14 pounds worth in my one carryon, imagine how much I could save compared to the person bringing heavy rolling uprights and check-in bags that total more than 60 pounds?
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Volunteer Moderator
    i like this concept!

now, do you get a refund if you show up at the airport and weigh less than you did when you booked the flight? that would only be right.

interestingly, it will cost less to travel in warmer months than in the coldest months.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    i
    interestingly, it will cost less to travel in warmer months than in the coldest months.
    Colder months? In Samoa?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Colder months? In Samoa?

well, not in samoa. but if the concept was applied on a larger scale.
    backpack and Lani like this.
    -m

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Not wild about this... see my avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    a larger scale.
    Hahaha two puns in one. Very clever, maverick!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Hahaha two puns in one. Very clever, maverick!
    oh, it wasn't intentional...
    -m

I too am a fan of this, not just the for the implications for myself, but for those traveling with children. I have often thought it unfair to charge an adult fare for a child.

I wish there was some way to make medical exceptions. For those with certain medical conditions that would precipitate that their weight exceeds a "norm". Though that is rare, and not what is being targeted, there are those few. I also think that medical equipment and service animals should be exempt from contributing to the weight that a person would be charged for.

Overall how I see it is that those who chose to travel simply are not penalized and those who travel with more have to pay a heftier proportion of the costs to fly.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

Seems perfectly fair as long as each customer gets a space proportional with what they're paying. Why should a huge person pay double fare and still get squeezed into a tiny seat?

edit:
    ha, ha. Actually, according to NBC, Samoa Airlines has 9-seater and 3-seater planes, so this doesn't seem like such a big deal. Small planes like that have to balance the weight of passengers anyway. They say that larger people will be given the 'entire row' if needed for comfort.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 04-03-2013 at 03:30 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Seems perfectly fair as long as each customer gets a space proportional with what they're paying. Why should a huge person pay double fare and still get squeezed into a tiny seat?
    indeed, the whole airplane seat concept needs to be rethought!

heh - i'm envisioning an arm rest that slides from side to side. you pay for the seat width that you want. same with the leg room - the seat row can be on tracks, so that they can adjust the placement of the row.

people wanting a certain amount of leg room will be seated in the same row (until that row fills up).

the number of rows / seats will depend on who buys what space first. so a given flight can at one time accommodate x passengers, and another time x + y, depending on how the seats on that flight are sold.

the a given set of seats together will be a bench, with an inflatable layer that expands according to the placement of the arm rest (according to the width you have purchased).

rows will be able to collapse at the back of the cabin, so that if more rows are required on the return leg of that aircraft's run, those rows will be available. a flight that doesn't sell out and has empty rows results in equal expansion of everyone's leg room and seat width (may as well make everyone more comfortable if there is empty space in the cabin).

to minimize on the weight of the plane, these new seats will be made out of carbon fiber. light weight but durable padding material will be selected (how would poron foam do as seat padding?).

thinking of submarines, why not make a row of seats able to move not only back and forth on a track, but also vertically on another track? then some number of rows (2?) can stack and go flat when it's time to sleep. there would be some number of ladders down each aisle that you can press a button and summon if you need to get down from the top bunk.

sounds crazy, but it may just work! the next generation of airplane seating!
    -m

Volunteer Moderator
    Samoans are big! But I always thought that Ryan Air would be the first to charge according to the combined weight of passenger and luggage. Didn't they say they were considering this a few years ago? Or was that a joke?

moriond

Delta Airlines said the lavatories in their new 737-900's will be smaller than normal to allow an extra row of seats. How can the lavs get any smaller?
    FunNut likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    Delta Airlines said the lavatories in their new 737-900's will be smaller than normal to allow an extra row of seats. How can the lavs get any smaller?
    Interestingly enough, Delta claims that by using interior space of the lav more efficiently, the useable space actually gets bigger. They claim that there is lots of unused space between the lav and the outer shell of the lav.

I'll believe it when I see it.
    FunNut likes this.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

It could be worse. We could be tourists visiting the planet Bethselamin of HHGTTG infamy.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

ceb
    Quote Originally Posted by lotuseater View Post
    It could be worse. We could be tourists visiting the planet Bethselamin of HHGTTG infamy.
    I loved the book and the game - I hated the movie.
    When in trouble, obfuscate.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0