Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By backpack
  • 3 Post By JLE
  • 5 Post By dorayme
  • 2 Post By Fat Crip
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Fun Shoes in Europe vs conservative black

Fun Shoes in Europe vs conservative black

I just bought a pair of very comfy shoes and would love to take them wth me on travel.

The problem is they are silver, the other shoes had some brown in them, they had no black shoes, they are Clarks.

I am very hard to fit and the only other shoe is black, same style, other brand but also very bulky.

Should I take the bulky shoe and take a leap of faith and wear my bright and comfy silver leather ones?

I kind of dread being sneared at by European but then they might do it anyway, and I should just go by the "people who matter don't mind and people who mind don't matter" adage.

What do you think?

JLE
    I would go with the silver. In fact, I am just about to take a pair of silver Ecco walking shoes with me to Bhutan! I think silver can look great with jeans, and casual skirts. It works with black or navy as a base colour, ties in with other bright colours really easily, and it is also very "in" right now (if that matters!), so if you get sneered at (you won't be) you can just tell yourself that the people sneering clearly have no fashion sense!

Plus, if they are really comfortable, what more could you ask for?

I wished there had been a "love" button when I read your post!

I have always been a trendsetter, I was one of the first person to wear a backpack and khakis in my small home town and the university town in the same province.

I think that silver is a trend for this season and I usually catch trend in colors when the ones I love come in fashion.

Unlike the Tom Bihn Crew taste and choice of colors, not all the designer choices are suitable every season.

I just realized that I can wear those foldable Dr School flats as slippers and dress up shoes, if the need arises and it doesn't snow.

The forecast was supposed to be Spring but it looks like winter wants to stay a little more.

Do what makes your heart sing! I don't know what shoes of which you speak, but I say if you love them, go for it! Silvery shoes when executed well can be a great signature item and will coordinate with lots of different items. Silver is a neutral. I recently got some platinum metallic shoes and I always feel so happy when I wear them.

Also, comfort is key in travel, and you said more than once that these fit you well and are comfortable. That should account for a lot when choosing travel shoes! Wear the silver shoes and then bring some black ballet flats that will occupy virtually no space or weight just in case you need to slip into something less flashy.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, SE, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP-A, SC, BB, SCB, FJN, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, PCSB K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP-T/WF, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, SE, S, C-P, P, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, PCBP-T/WF, SE2, MCB, RiPad, SB, LSB

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    We don't hate all Americans over here... at least not all of the time! There are a few jokes about American style, but usually in Scotland they are aimed at the inappropriate wearing of Tartan trews! I doubt anyone will be bothered by your silver shoes!
    Lani and mifcnm like this.

Eric, I am French born, I am European!

The towns are in France!
    Darcy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    Eric, I am French born, I am European!

The towns are in France!
    Ah, the Auld Alliance! Mind you, that was stretched a bit by Fredie Michalak's thuggery in the 6 Nations rugby yesterday!

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Ah, the Auld Alliance! Mind you, that was stretched a bit by Fredie Michalak's thuggery in the 6 Nations rugby yesterday!
    I only got a little glimpse at rugby, a summary of what had happened, they were already done by the time I got to Europe.

When did Italy came on board?

I gave a double take when you said 6 nations.

I just found out that there will be a rugby world cup in England in 2015 and that qualifying matches are played now worldwide.

I just saw that Scotland and Samoa are in the same pool!

It's my way to tie loose ends of fun thread, full of caring and useful tips from my fellow Tom Bihn forum members!

Italy joined England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France in 2000 - seems like only yesterday! Of course for years they were nowhere, but this year they beat France and didn't win the wooden spoon for a change. Freddie punched one of the Scottish players in the back of the head, which was not exactly the highlight of the game or competition, but It probably didn't change the championship overall.

Europe is rather closer these days than it once was, even the English don't really hate the French too much these days, though there remains a high deal of mistrust between all of the EU members. Often there is a suspicion that Germany, having failed to conquer Europe twice, is trying to conquer you economically instead, and then maybe some mileage in that suggestion! The UK has always been a little sceptical about the European project, and this has come back to the fore following the death of the lady this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Italy joined England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland and France in 2000 - seems like only yesterday!
    I'd already been in the US four years at that point, and Five Nations had already become a chore to follow thanks to Setanta's awful broadcast reliability (I didnae shed a tear when they went belly-up), and the time zone difference (7 hours) combined with the hour-long drive to (or, rather, back from) the nearest pub broadcasting the games. Guinness might be good for you, but not so much at 7am.

Weren't Italy invited to join when England got too big for their britches and threatened to abandon the Five Nations tournament? And people wonder why the crowds cheer for "Anyone but England"...

After all this time, "Six" Nations still seems jarring to me. Italy finally came into their own this year, so this should be more of a tournament going forwards. But what's it going to take for Scotland to get back into the game? It's been a long time since their winning ways under Gavin Hastings. The sport changed beyond all recognition when it changed from amateur to professional, but surely there are some good players north of the border.
    Enlightened traveller since 2009

I vote for silver - comfy and fun!

And can I say I'm confident that 'Europeans', as a group, will not snear at your shoes!! I'm Australian and travel frequently to meetings in Europe. Some colleagues from northern Europe have no qualms about wearing socks with sandals (like Tevas), others wear sneakers or hiking boots, and some have even worn cute heels with little frilly ankle socks. The footwear is more diverse than home!

Edited to add: The meetings I go to are fairly informal and most delegates travel a LOT. Comfort is a big deal for us!!
    Last edited by notmensa; 04-12-2013 at 07:23 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0