Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Protecting my investment

Protecting my investment

I was wondering if anyone every thought about a cover for checking the Aeronaut, if the bag weighs to much coming back from a trip with souvenirs? I would not want to have it ruined by the nice baggage handlers! And where would I get one?

I think bags used to carry laundry or a trash bag would work but... ballistic nylon is much stronger than anything.

Keep the backpack straps in, make sure every zipper is closed securely and you are good to go.

Another alternative is to ship souvenirs instead of carrying them.

I would like this too. A thin nylon bag to protect it from grease and dirt that commonly find their way onto conveyer belts. Some good-quality camera bags come with a thin cover like this, that crumples up very small into a pocket until you need to use it. It would also double as a laundry bag. I would really like it if TB offered something like this, cheap enough so that it could easily be replaced if it was used and got ripped.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniegill View Post
    I was wondering if anyone every thought about a cover for checking the Aeronaut, if the bag weighs to much coming back from a trip with souvenirs? I would not want to have it ruined by the nice baggage handlers! And where would I get one?

Thanks Backpack and Bchaplin. I just don't want to have my Cardinal Aeronaut messed up with all that lovely black grease that seems to be so abundant when you check! Sometimes places don't ship for you. I am getting better at not buying souvenirs, but it's this "problem" I have, I like to get things for family and friends....and me too!!

TB doesn't do anything cheaply made, if Tom decides to make a cover/laundry bag it will be made either with Travel Dyneema or some awesome natural or man made fabric or a blend of both that will most probably derives from NASA technology.

The solution I gave above might last the length of one trip or not.

Ballistic is very very very strong and resistant to dirt, rain, mud...

Other bags use those cheaply made covers because they are too cheap to use a truly water resistant fabric and experiment with water repelling designs. (see Cafe Bag and downpour thread)

The Camera I/O which is the most beautiful and high end camera bag I have ever seen, has no cover and looks sharp and gorgeous doing its job.

It reminds me of its designer!

Thanks backpack! I just checked an REI duffel bag that clips onto your key chain and that is too small to cover my new GORGEOUS CARDINAL AERONAUT, so maybe REI has something to fit the bill. (My secret is out, I have been an REI "junkie" for 22 years!). Now I am collecting Tom Bihn things! What's a girl to do?! 😃

The point of a cover would be to absorb the dirt and keep the bag clean. If it was expensive enough to not be easily replaced that would defeat the purpose, and if it didn't scrunch down very small (which dyneema doesn't; this is an issue with my shop bag I have from Tom Bihn), it would take up too much space.

The camera bags I'm talking about have covers that you take out in case of heavy rain. The nylon is great because they are very small, to the point where they take up very little space and you hardly notice it until you need it.

The camera bags I'm talking about have covers that you take out in case of heavy rain. The nylon is great because they are very small, to the point where they take up very little space and you hardly notice it until you need it.[/QUOTE]

REI does have a duffel bag meant to use for backpacks for checking at airport. It weight a lot at 19.6 onces. That's a lot of weight if you are planning to carry on, and only have the duffel "in case of too many goodies" on the return trip. Any leads for me on just purchasing a camera bag rain cover to fit my new Aeronaut? Thanks backpack and bchaplin

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    The point of a cover would be to absorb the dirt and keep the bag clean. If it was expensive enough to not be easily replaced that would defeat the purpose, and if it didn't scrunch down very small (which dyneema doesn't; this is an issue with my shop bag I have from Tom Bihn), it would take up too much space.

The camera bags I'm talking about have covers that you take out in case of heavy rain. The nylon is great because they are very small, to the point where they take up very little space and you hardly notice it until you need it.

My Shop bag in UV folds perfectly into its own pocket, so does my Steel Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaut which folds into its lower pocket to become the size of a neck towel and I can also fold the Steel Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in its small front pocket.

I tried that to compare the packability of Everyday/Lightweight/Packing Cube Dyneema items with my packable nylon rain shell.

The scrunchability of Everyday Dyneema is compatible with nylon, the only restriction to the size of the scrunched item are the reinforced seams of the Shop Bags and the length of the Packing Cubes zippers which I'd rather not ruin by bending.
    I have the same reluctance about the zipper of my nylon shell.

All my Yarn Stuff Sacks have a Clear Bottom despite of that, one of the Steel ones, was just fine used as a Travel Tray.
    Not problem with scrunching here.

I just got a set of UV Travel Stuff Sacks they can be made into something really tiny, l need to experiment scrunching Steel Travel Stuff Sacks into the smallest one which is really small, very handy to fill up nooks and crannies or take in the Travel EDC Bag.

I am certain than a Giant Travel Stuff Sack would be perfect to protect Tom Bihn Travel Bags and be used as heavy duty Laundry Bags.

Maybe we could suggest that Tom makes a prototype in Steel Dyneema. The problem is, should it be made from really flexible Everyday Dynnema or Tough Travel Dyneema?

Note that all scrunching experiments, except the Large Shop Bag, have been done with Steel Everyday Dyneema TB goodies because Steel, is the standard Dyneema color and I can always get duplicate TB items in that color.

saran wrap your bags.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    My Shop bag in UV folds perfectly into its own pocket, so does my Steel Packing Cube Backpack for Aeronaut which folds into its lower pocket to become the size of a neck towel and I can also fold the Steel Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in its small front pocket.

I tried that to compare the packability of Everyday/Lightweight/Packing Cube Dyneema items with my packable nylon rain shell.

The scrunchability of Everyday Dyneema is compatible with nylon, the only restriction to the size of the scrunched item are the reinforced seams of the Shop Bags and the length of the Packing Cubes zippers which I'd rather not ruin by bending.
    I have the same reluctance about the zipper of my nylon shell.

All my Yarn Stuff Sacks have a Clear Bottom despite of that, one of the Steel ones, was just fine used as a Travel Tray.
    Not problem with scrunching here.

I just got a set of UV Travel Stuff Sacks they can be made into something really tiny, l need to experiment scrunching Steel Travel Stuff Sacks into the smallest one which is really small, very handy to fill up nooks and crannies or take in the Travel EDC Bag.

I am certain than a Giant Travel Stuff Sack would be perfect to protect Tom Bihn Travel Bags and be used as heavy duty Laundry Bags.

Maybe we could suggest that Tom makes a prototype in Steel Dyneema. The problem is, should it be made from really flexible Everyday Dynnema or Tough Travel Dyneema?

Note that all scrunching experiments, except the Large Shop Bag, have been done with Steel Everyday Dyneema TB goodies because Steel, is the standard Dyneema color and I can always get duplicate TB items in that color.
    Great thought backpack! I like the idea of a Dyneema giant sack for all of the travel bags and backpacks too! I now know what I can to with my Backpack packing cube for storage if I do not use it for packing on my trip to Italy! There's some smart thinking! Hopefully Darcy "hears" us!?

I may try that on return trip blackfungi, thanks. It's cheaper by far then buying a cover for $30-40!

Quote Originally Posted by blackfungi View Post
    saran wrap your bags.
    Some airports actually do this, after security. It protects against theft as well as damage. I've never seen it offered in the U.S. though.

I did find the Osprey Airporter in comes in 3 sizes. I am hoping the small will fit the Aeornaut! It's 12 oz vs. 19 oz for the REI duffel. I will find out late next week when I make my first trip with the Aeronaut to Abq. And go to REI there. I would also like to take my Aeronaut to Italy. We will be on a tour and being able to cover my new "TB"
    Toy will make me worry free!

You know Anniegill, I am getting nervous about my own carry-on issue. I know that my better half want to take his heavy laptop bag with him and this is allowed but it might be too heavy and he might have to check his TriStar in Dyneema.

The laptop bag addition is a new one and he got another lighter one has a freebe, which I thought he would take, but no, he wants to take the heavier one.

Saran wrap or whatever cheap cover sounds good right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0