Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Protecting my investment

I found the item I linked to on Amazon. Some people say it didn't last very long (got shredded by the luggage equipment), and it doesn't fold down very well.

I have to say that those covers look either like glorified and expensive laundry bags or over sized shower caps.

I would consider them if they had an hidden zipper but the drawstring of the "laundry bag" would make me nervous as something that could be easily caught on the conveyor belt, defeating its purpose of protecting the bag.

The airline was KLM and the flight was from Budapest to Amsterdam.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

What about a neoprene wrap for an Aeronaut (etc) like this?

Luggage Wraps

It leaves the end handles exposed for easier pick-up but covers a majority of the bag from grease on the belt and whatnot.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

RhoFro, that looks nice for a rollerbag! Do you think it would fit (and stay) on the Aeronaut?

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Annie, was this the one you bought for the Aeronaut:

Osprey Airporter LZ Backpack Travel Cover - Small at REI.com
    Yes! That's exactly the one. It does appear to be pretty well made, but, I have not yet tested it. I am sure it will with stand a bunch of nasty old luggage "professionals".

As with most things, if you watch the way you unfold the Airporter, it will fold back together pretty well. Of course one can never get a thing packed as small as they do out of the package. How do they do that?

Back in our backpacking days, the trick we used to checking in our big hiking packs was to use a rain cover, but put on the pack the opposite direction to cover all of the straps. This served the obvious purpose of keeping bag straps from getting caught in whatever conveyor belts and sorting machines the bags would traverse on their long crazy journey to the airplane's cargo hold, but were also extremely light (85-130g each), fairly cheap, and easily repairable (duct or packing tape on the inside sealed any abrasions or rips) or replaceable if necessary. And since they were actual rain covers, we didn't feel like we were carrying dead weight that would only be used for that off chance of needing to check in our bags.

We used some MEC (like REI) Silicone/Polyurethane covers which had a draw string, a wrap around strap with a speed buckle, and a fixed length of nylon rope across the bottom, so there was still a solid place to grab the bag as well as attach a baggage routing tag. I believe this was the product: MEC Sil/Pu Alpine Rain Cover - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available, though there are cheaper/newer options.

Now, using only a single rain cover slung on in reverse did leave a portion of the front of the backpacks exposed still, so if you wanted to cover that up, you could always sling on another on in the regular orientation, much like wearing two hospital gowns. The overall solution weighs a lot less than many of the backpack duffel-style totes I had seen, and at least has some alternate usefulness.

Just another option. I had looked at the Osprey Airporter years back for my Osprey Aether hiking pack, but never bit on it's single tasking functionality.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0