Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Protecting my investment

I will let you know what I find at REI at the end of next week. And I may just look at some laundry bags at target and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Anniegill View Post
    I was wondering if anyone every thought about a cover for checking the Aeronaut, if the bag weighs to much coming back from a trip with souvenirs? I would not want to have it ruined by the nice baggage handlers! And where would I get one?
    Sort of like this.... ?

Protection for my SCB while travelling in my grubby 4wd (often in the back seat with the canine) .. or sadly today on the cabin floor of a tip tray car transporter while my 4wd rode forlornly on the back... (no doubt wishing for its own very large dyneema shroud)
    List under construction ....

Protection for my SCB while travelling in my grubby 4wd (often in the back seat with the canine) .. or sadly today on the cabin floor of a tip tray car transporter while my 4wd rode forlornly on the back... (no doubt wishing for its own very large dyneema shroud)[/QUOTE]

Nice pics Daisy! Yeah, exactly like that! Won't that be WONDERFUL!!! Tom do you hear all of us?? Please!!

I looked at the Osprey Airporter when I was in ABQ last week at REI. The medium swallows the Aeronaut. They did not have the small, so I may order this, not sure yet. Looks like it would do a pretty good job to "protect my investment" or anyone else's if they has to check the Aeronaut.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    You know Anniegill, I am getting nervous about my own carry-on issue. I know that my better half want to take his heavy laptop bag with him and this is allowed but it might be too heavy and he might have to check his TriStar in Dyneema.
    As we sometimes travel with overly heavy Aeronauts or Tri-Stars, Heather and I gave this issue some thought. As hand baggage only travellers no longer have to check-in anymore, you can go straight to the gate. None of the airports I use have weighing facilities at the gate so as long as you don't look like you're struggling you'll be fine.

On the other hand, as a wheelchair user, I do have to check in to get my chair tagged. We always used to go to the desk together, but having seen a lot of people asked to weigh their carry on bags, now I go on my own whilst Heather waits with the bags. Sneaky I know, but it avoids unnecessary questions and issues!

Sounds like an easy and mildly brilliant move to me Slim Crip . Thanks! Anniegill

I did purchase the small on Osprey Airporter. I will report back when the UPS MAN visits my home next week! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    As we sometimes travel with overly heavy Aeronauts or Tri-Stars, Heather and I gave this issue some thought. As hand baggage only travellers no longer have to check-in anymore, you can go straight to the gate. None of the airports I use have weighing facilities at the gate so as long as you don't look like you're struggling you'll be fine.

On the other hand, as a wheelchair user, I do have to check in to get my chair tagged. We always used to go to the desk together, but having seen a lot of people asked to weigh their carry on bags, now I go on my own whilst Heather waits with the bags. Sneaky I know, but it avoids unnecessary questions and issues!

I was planning to do carry on only but, at the last minute, the husband unit wanted to take 3 pairs of shoes and tried to shove them in the mininimalist Tristar.

I found a travel bag for the shoes so he had to check them.

Upon return, he realized the silliness of lugging around an extra bag for items that were not used or used once.

Intend on making lemonade out of lemon, the bag held the last of our dirty laundry on the way back.

We did check all three bags on the last leg, the plane was very full and I was very tired.

I find that duty free areas should be set in the highest floor of every airport, next to fancy dining but away from the main areas of security, customs, checkpoint and gate checking.

This way people could avoid treking the useless row of fancy stuff and get to the necessary steps illustrated above without being forced to run a marathon.

An update on the Osprey Airporter, size small. It does fit a loaded Aeronaut. I threw a bunch of things into my cardinal/steel dyneema bag along with a queen size quilt to fill it up. The Aeronaut does fit nicely into the Osprey Airporter! Now the decision to use it or not along with my Aeronaut and possibly my Co-Pilot on my trip to Italy!
    Last edited by Anniegill; 04-11-2013 at 05:41 AM.

Update: I will be carrying my indigo/solar synapse on the planes to Italy. And taking a checked small piece of luggage. As I have a bunch of extra stuff to take along because of my recent case of pneumonia. I also have saved tuns of space using my Tom Bihn: Aeronaut packing cubes, travel tray, #3 stuff sack, padded pouches, 3D cube and dyneema multi sized pouches. I am sssooooo excited about my first trip to Europe and Italy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Some airports actually do this, after security. It protects against theft as well as damage. I've never seen it offered in the U.S. though.
    ha. i was being serious. i saw this saran wrapping in either hong kong or canada.
    aeronaut[black/solar]tristar[black/red iberian]western flyer[black/steel]synapse[black/steel]side effect[black/wasabi]medium cafe bag[black/wasabi]large cafe bag[black/wasabi]shopping bag[steel].

And it's a great idea!!

Annie, was this the one you bought for the Aeronaut:

Osprey Airporter LZ Backpack Travel Cover - Small at REI.com

I would love to know as well, given my unexpected forced check of my Tri-Star. The ballistic certainly withstood the luggage mill but it's not worth a gash on an expensive bag when something like this is an option. If my Aero or Tri-Star were dyneema this kind of protection would be a certainty.

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    Annie, was this the one you bought for the Aeronaut:

Osprey Airporter LZ Backpack Travel Cover - Small at REI.com
    Tri-Star (steel/uv), Aeronaut (black dyneemal/wasabi), Synapse 19 (steel/uv dyneema), Ego (wasabi & reflective), MCB (linen), Side Effect (steel/wasabi dyneema), Snake Charmer (sapphire & wasabi), Travel Tray (uv dyneema), large & small Shop Sack (nordic), 3D Clear Cube (uv), small Tri-Star packing cube (steel), Yarn Stuff Sack (uv), Tri-Star Packing Cube Backpack (steel), Wallet (cardinal), Cordura OP (sm steel, med indigo, 2 lrg storm), Dyneema OP (sm iberian, med wasabi, lrg ultraviolet)

Quote Originally Posted by RhoFro View Post
    I would love to know as well, given my unexpected forced check of my Tri-Star. The ballistic certainly withstood the luggage mill but it's not worth a gash on an expensive bag when something like this is an option. If my Aero or Tri-Star were dyneema this kind of protection would be a certainty.
    Would you mind sharing which airline it was?
    Last edited by backpack; 06-14-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0