Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Lightweight luggage scale, accurate and widely available

Why not you search on ebay because there are many luggage scales there. Most of these scales are digital and you can easily get accurate result with that for your luggage weighting.
    Last edited by Edwin; 04-26-2014 at 03:01 AM.

Digital counting scales are better than spring scales ChrisG. I personally use a Bench Scale with Stainless Steel Platter. It is quit good and working well for me over the 6 months. It has PS-IN108 indicator with serial output which enable me control well over my all weighings.
    Last edited by PeterB; 07-08-2014 at 02:57 AM.
    Know well first then go to do it all with ease..!

The digital was bought for weighing objects upto 1000 lbs.15' load cell cable. Its structural steel channel frame is very effective. Its package are configured and calibrated with 10000 divisions which enables me to have more accurate measurements.

I followed autolycus previous post suggestion.

I went to a sporting good and bought a fishing scale with a wide hook, able to hold my TB bags handle and the top handle of 2 other bags.

We had a strict weight limit and it worked perfectly, it was lightweight enough to be carried on the trip.

In addition, it has helped me to transition to ultra light packing with confidence.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-12-2014 at 11:51 PM.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Spring scales aren't worth squat any more. Period.

For $10-20 you can get a digital strain-gauge scale that is going to be much more repeatable over time, and much more accurate. You're not going to get a calibrated-to-1% spring at anywhere near that price, which is what you'll need to hit 25 kg within 0.25 kg or 50 pounds within 0.5 pounds.

If you want a tiny bit of peace of mind with your scale, water weighs 1 kg per liter. A 1-gallon plastic jug of water has ~3.8 kg of water in it, so a couple of them on your scale should weigh around 7.7 kg (plastic milk-style bottles weigh ~60 g). You can use milk as well, though it is a tiny bit heavier (3-4% or about 8.0 kg total).
    Last edited by jeff; 07-13-2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Add references

I think jeff is right you can't get accurate results with spring scale and other cheap scales after few months. Because you don't calibrate them so you must find a digital one to get accurate measurement.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    For $10-20 you can get a digital strain-gauge scale that is going to be much more repeatable over time, and much more accurate.
    Thanks, @Jeff. Can you link to one of these scales?
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I've got a first-generation Balanzza which isn't really "travel size" except for our trips that involve scuba diving. In that case we're taking not only clothing, but wetsuits and equipment, so getting the weight distributed among three bags each is key. It looks like this one, but I'm not sure if its the same model. The Amazon reviews suggest that the current Balanzza scales are good as well. There is a link earlier in the thread to Balanzza "Where to buy."

The actual weighing mechanism on the scales ("load cell") is relatively common and inexpensive from semi-custom fabricators in Asia these days, so it comes down to something that has decent quality control (or a good return policy from the retailer, since you'll never be able to find the "manufacturer" for most of these makes) and then how it feels in your hand, and how easy it is to use.

I'd just search "luggage scale" on Amazon and pick one to try that you think you'd like the way you hold it, how the luggage attaches, and how you'd read it. There are several there in the $10-20 range with a big enough number of reviews to get a good idea of how people like them and what the failure rate might be.

When you start looking at several of them, you start to see that what is probably the same scale "guts" gets sold under several different brand names. There is one I'm looking at for $5.99 that looks just like the ones that generally sell for $11.50. What's the difference? Your guess is as good as mine. Mine is that when you sell through Amazon fulfillment you end up paying a bit more commission to Amazon and you have a higher return rate than selling direct.

They're all going to have a small number of people that find them unreliable or inaccurate. Some of that is just manufacturing and quality control. Some is that if you don't hold the scale reasonably level, you won't get an accurate reading. (For example, twisting your hand so that one end of a 4" scale was a half-inch higher than the other.)

Some complain about lithium "coin" cells being hard to find or expensive. Yeah, if you buy them at your local drug mart, they're going to kill you on price. Thing is that they are available through Amazon for a buck or two and should last several years.

Trust your gut on a decision, especially if the retailer has a good return policy.

Edit -- Follow-up on rough checking accuracy

The right way to check/calibrate a scale

Name:  calibrate.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  112.3 KB

One Target distilled water jug weighs ~3.9 kg on my scale, so two would be ~7.8 kg. Again, this isn't to calibrate your scale, just to provide a sanity check.

Name:  water.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  80.6 KB
    Last edited by jeff; 07-19-2014 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks!
    That is the type of scale I have. I will use the water method to check if it is accurate.
    I can see the point of the simpler kind they sell in travel stores (the spring-loaded ones, I guess?). But I am more interested in weighing individual items as part of the planning process, and I don't take the scale with me while I am actually traveling.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I'm pretty happy with the CJ-4000 and use it daily for coffee brewing. A big driving factor on that is that the CJ-4000 can be set to disable the auto-off feature, which is important for a 4-5 minute coffee brewing process. The CJ-600 and CJ-4000 (it is claimed) use a slightly better load cell than in the $10 variety. Keep it out of the sun as the display window may warp (permanently) if it gets too hot.

Checking my old orders, that calibration weight runs $9 these days. A 1 kg weight is $17 (but apparently has some problems with that specific model, reading the reviews). I don't recall what calibration mass you need to calibrate a CJ-6000. A "Class M" calibration weight is plenty good for our purposes - 0.08 g on a 500 g weight for M2, 0.25 g for M3. "Traceable calibration" doesn't make it any better, unless you have some legal requirement to meet.
    Last edited by jeff; 07-19-2014 at 11:19 AM.

Feedback Sports Expedition

Just picked up an Expedition Backpack Scale from Amazon. After searching around, this was one had great endorsements. Should be here next week so I'll be able to test it's accuracy with a gym weight.
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post

The right way to check/calibrate a scale

Name:  calibrate.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  112.3 KB

One Target distilled water jug weighs ~3.9 kg on my scale, so two would be ~7.8 kg. Again, this isn't to calibrate your scale, just to provide a sanity check.

Name:  water.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  80.6 KB

The apparatus in the picture, is obviously, -not- a travel size scale.

I needed to bring the scale with me, so it had to be lightweight

I wanted to shop locally, so I first asked forum members for advice, did an online search and found the small scale.

I tested it by weighting my TB bags, first empty (I trust the TB Crew to have the best and most accurate weight apparatus) then loaded.

At the time, the reviews about the brands you mention where negative. I checked many sites including travel, consumer review sites and others.

I know that some sites, especially shopping ones, have reviewers for hire to "boost" ratings.

I do not want my fellow TB travellers to be disappointed by a digital scale that refuses to work, just hours before leaving for the airport, in a middle of the night.
    Or, on the return trip, after a really nice shopping spree, in a country where the person doesn't speak the local language.

In many countries, kilos are used, and it is easier to see both kilos and pounds on a manual scale.
    Last edited by backpack; 07-19-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0