Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

NYC Good Bad Ugly especially hotels and

neighborhood and also subway tips. How to get a matinee would be got but not essential.

Hi backpack. As far as where you'd like to stay, it depends on what kind of things you like to do, how much you're willing to spend, and whether or not you can handle noise! How many days are you thinking of spending in NY? Are you driving in or flying to one of the area airports? (JFK/LGA/EWR) And what time of year would this trip be happening?

The subway system is fantastic, and actually fairly easy to get around on (although there are still some post-Sandy issues). Check out this site. The MTA also has a pretty good website that will tell you what lines might have issues. Aslo, most people in NY are more than willing to help out if you have a question - don't be afraid to ask!

As far as scoring matinee (or any other time) theater tickets, check out TKTS in Times Square; I've always had good luck.

If you have an iPhone, there are many apps which can be VERY helpful - let me know if you want a list.

Probably the most important question I have is what TB bags are you bringing?? :-)

also helpful would be whether you are traveling alone or with other(s). a reasonable option if you don't need tons of space are pod hotels (there are a few that are very reasonably priced; I stayed at pod 39 last fall while traveling solo and liked it a lot... it's very close to several subway stops and only a couple blocks to grand central).
    Last edited by capncat; 01-17-2013 at 09:47 AM.

It will be in the Spring.

I am wondering if I should stay around the airports (the hotels I checked around JFK have horrible reviews and I don't know anything about the neighborhoods around LGA) or go further in or toward The City?

I can't do very expensive ones and I also don't want to end up paying a lot for horrible no-service like the ones around JFK.

A must is free Wifi in the room and breakfast included would ideal.

My favorite area is around Grand Central, Central Park.

I think I'll pass on the shows this time.

Thank you for the great subway website Nukediver! Very helpful!

I don't like bus tours at all but cruises or even public transport ferries would be on the list to use as transport. Of course it is all weather dependant and we might just taxi it out, if it rains a lot.

Speaking of which what is the weather in early Spring in NYC?*

TB carry BB, TS, Synapse, SCB all in Travel Dyneema Nordic, except husband's TS.

Sorry for the jumbled info taken together but it is prep time big time and besides the TB, I need much more stuff to be resolved, gotten, printed so that I can concentrate on ultra light packing for 3 locations, semi casual dress but with mystery weather.*

*I have to plan for very light, reasonably nice looking layers, for all kind of weather, the "forecast" for one location, let alone 3, looks a lot like a joke and it's on me so I am kind of panicking, right now.
    Last edited by backpack; 01-16-2013 at 09:34 PM.

As a born and bred NY'er, let me give some suggestions:

1) Do not stay near the airports. It is a royal pain to get into the City and you will waste a lot of time, traveling to and fro. If you find Manhattan hotels to be too expensive, there are a few new hotels in Brooklyn that are near subway lines and only a few minutes into Manhattan.

2) Subway--my only advice is try not to take it at rush hour. And don't stand too close to the edge while waiting for a train. BTW--running joke in NY--when it rains, expect to take the subway as you'll never get a cab.

3) Early spring can be fickle when it comes to weather. Don't panic about packing. Wait until you get closer and see the forecast. And then expect it to be different once you arrive.

4) There are two good websites for planning a trip to NYC and they may help you save money:

The Official New York City Guide to NYC Attractions, Dining, Hotels and Things to Do / nycgo.com

NYC.gov - Visitors

If you have any more specific question, let us know.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

We did NYC in mid-April. Forecast was for mid to high 60's at the time. Mid to high 60's in NYC was much different than in Georgia. I swear there is no sunshine in NYC. Just check the weather the week before pack so you can wear layers. Make sure you have comfy walking shoes. The subway is not at all scary or difficult. My country bumpkin self figured it out in no time. Check out the website before. Grab a map as soon as you get there. I would study the map before I left the hotel and made sure I knew what train I was getting on so I didn't have to stand around in the station reading the map. Everything is easily labeled/identified so it isn't really confusing at all. You'll have to post a packing list as we get closer!

I don't know if this would be your cup of tea, but I found The Jane's website intriguing. (I haven't actually stayed there...yet.) Here are the reviews on Trip Advisor, which give you an idea of the atmosphere and approach.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieScratch View Post
    I don't know if this would be your cup of tea, but I found The Jane's website intriguing. (I haven't actually stayed there...yet.) Here are the reviews on Trip Advisor, which give you an idea of the atmosphere and approach.
    Thank you so much for the tip! Actually I prefer newer hotels with free wifi and breakfast.

I also saw Anthony Bourdain The Layover: New York, (he recommended that hotel) but even his choice of food is not to my taste, he is far too much of a carnivore with very little sweet tooth.

I am the opposite and would gladly make a meal of authentic mac and cheese and the best dessert in the place.

If you know of any place like that in NYC, please share.

You do realize that NYC is the most amazing city when it comes to food. After all, how many cities have a restaurant devoted to mac n cheese:

S'MAC - Sarita's Macaroni & Cheese

I've never been but I've heard good things. They have three locations.

And when you're done, head uptown to Serendipity 3 and get a Frozen Hot Chocolate. It's their signature dessert and I first had one about 35 years ago--I think. I know I first went to Serendipity about then.

Serendipity 3

Gray's Papaya for hot dogs, Katz's Deli for Jewish deli, and Sushi Zen on W. 44th st for sushi. (I think it's the best sushi restaurant I've been to in the U.S. It can get expensive.)
    Last edited by Frank II; 01-17-2013 at 03:41 PM.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Well, if we're going to talk about food in NYC, let me suggest that you CANNOT leave town without eating pizza! On your short list should be Lombardi's (32 Spring Street), Joe's Pizza (7 Carmine Street), and Sal & Carmine's (2671 Broadway). And what trip to NY would be complete without bagels? You MUST go to Ess-a-Bagel (359 First Ave), not only for the bagel, but for the whole NY deli experience. And if it's mac and cheese you want, go to this list.

If you like museums, you must make time for at least one of these:

Metropolitan Museum of Art ("The Met")

The Museum of Modern Art (MoMa)

The American Museum of Natural History

All of these are iconic NY places, and well worth the time.

Frank's got some great advice; he's totally right about the weather - wear light layers and be prepared for just about anything. And do not skimp on the comfy shoes! Walking through the concrete canyons with wear you out if your footwear isn't up to snuff!

Thank you both! I also need the places to do take out or even better, delivery.

I also want to use the Staten Island Ferry but I am very confused on where to take them.

Take Out? Delivery? There are hundreds, if not thousands, of places. Your best bet is to ask at your hotel what is good in the area. There may even be menus in your room

When I lived in Manhattan, I rarely cooked because take out was so easy. There are hundreds of small markets that have hot and cold food bars and sell prepared food by the pound. (You can also eat at many of these places as well.) You want delivery? Not a problem but most restaurants only deliver in a small radius from where they are located.

As for the Staten Island Ferry, you don't have a big choice. It goes from Manhattan to Staten Island and back. That's it. You get it at the South Ferry Terminal in Manhattan. There are only two reasons to take the Staten Island Ferry--you want to go to Staten Island or your want a water view of lower Manhattan.

Last time I went (2010), the other half and I stayed at The Skyline in Hells Kitchen.

Was a great hotel to base from. Can't remember exactly, but was about 5-10 mins walk from Times Sq and 15-20 to Central Park. Prices may have changed, but it was very very reasonable for a hotel around that proximity to Times Sq. Our room had 2 double beds (I'd only booked a double room) and both it and the bathroom were a very good size.

First time I went I stayed in the Radisson on Lexington. Nice enough hotel but fairly expensive considering the room was a bit of a shoebox. That was probably a further walk out from Times Sq, I always remember it feeling like a trek when walking back at the end of the day.

We went to NYC a year and a half ago and we stayed at the Hampton Inn on 35th, and it was FANTASTIC.

It was surprisingly roomy for its location, it was within walking distance of most places (including Times Square), and the price was reasonable for the location.

Unless you're going to go with a really cheap hostel route, I'd definitely recommend this place (especially if you have Hilton Honors points, since it's part of the system).
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I travel to NYC a couple of time a year for work. I usually book a Hampton or Garden Inn property because they are clean, efficient, well located and reasonable (at least byNYC standards).

I don't need much in a hotel--clean bed, clean bath, and feeling safe. These properties check all those boxes. I usually stay in the 20-35th area. Subways are always only a few blocks away and go places most people want to go.

One thing I learned about NYC--everyone is from somewhere else, so asking questions is not weird, and most people are actually pretty friendly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0