Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Your 2013 Travel Plans

Your 2013 Travel Plans

I asked Eric in another thread where he's planning to travel this upcoming year, and I thought it would be even more fun to ask all of you. Where are you planning to go? What are you planning to do? And, which bags are you going to take?

Here's my list so far:
    1. Lexington, KY (January)
    This is just a quick long weekend trip with Mrs B., one of our grad school friends, and Titus and Hector. We're going to visit another grad school friend who teaches there. Big plans for the trip include catching up, drinking various things, and exploring the city. Biggest plan? Having coffee with Janine, and fulfilling my life-long dream of presenting her with Suddenly SALAD, a box of Hy-Vee Crispy Hexagons and some Italian kleenex.
    Bags: Western Flyer, Synapse.

2. Las Vegas, NV; Los Angeles (March)
    I think the entire academic world decided to have all of its major conventions in Vegas this year, so I'll be going to play video poker. I mean present a paper. Mrs B. and I will re-live our 2011-12 trip to Italy by marveling at the fake Grand Canal in the Venetian Hotel. Spring break falls right after the conference, so we'll be off to LA to visit my sister, brother-in-law, and the newest Badger, Nephew Badger.
    Bags: Well. Plans are in the works for this one.

3. South Dakota Badlands and Jackson, WY (May)
    Kiddo and I managed not to kill each other on our recent Chicago trip, so we've decided to take a quick road trip west. We'll, um, see how that goes.
    Bags: See above. Synapse most likely the DC.

4. Corvallis, Oregon (August)
    It's been a while since we've been back to my home town, so we'll take a trip there this summer. Plans include trips to the coast, drinking as many coffees and microbrews as I can handle, long country walks with my parents' dog, and cleaning the last of the crap out of my childhood bedroom (wish me luck). Maybe, if I behave, we'll be able to squeeze in a visit to Seattle and the TB factory.
    Bags: Western Flyer and Synapse.

5. Chicago (October)
    This is for a conference that I'm not wild about attending, but at least a lot of friends will be there. At least I'll get to make an overdetermined packing list, per usual.
    Bags: Maybe just the Smart Alec, since it's only for like two days.

6. Los Angeles (November)
    This is tentative, but the addition of Nephew Badger to the family has made me think that it may possibly be worth braving the worst travel weekend of the year to see him gumming a turkey leg.
    Bags: Whatever will let me one-bag it, since I have laundry access.

7. Chicago (December)
    Annual Chicago trip with Kiddo. Ah, tradition.
    Bags: I'm almost positive this trip will be short, so probably Smart Alec.

8. Honolulu, maybe?? (December)
    It all depends on whether or not I can convince my parents that we should all be together, and that Mrs B. and I deserve a radical change in temperature at this time of the year.
    Bags: Aeronaut and Synapse.

Man. I'm exhausted already.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    That's some list! It makes my modest plans seem very pedestrian. As I said elsewhere, Spain probably 8-10 ties, the South of England a couple of times and, hopefully a wee trip to British Columbia.

That is some advanced planning!!!

Quote Originally Posted by darbs View Post
    That is some advanced planning!!!
    Yeah, I know. I'm pretty type-A, but I also learn where my conferences will be a year in advance. Depending on how awful the conferences are, the more I want to take consolatory holidays, haha.

I love hearing about upcoming travel plans! Some of my plans are still tentative for 2013, but a basic plan is starting to develop.

Charlotte, North Carolina (January)
    My annual visit to my home state. The kids and I will visit a host of family and childhood friends, including my sister and precious niece.

Orlando, Florida (May)
    Business trip for hubby, play for the rest of us. It might be time for us to see how Disney World measures up to Disneyland. I haven't been to WDW since I was a kid.

St. Louis, MO + Door County, WI (July)
    Family wedding and sightseeing in St. Louis. Then, time with my In Laws at their log cabin in the Wisconsin woods.

Barcelona, Spain (October)
    Business trip for hubby, adding on vacation time for the whole family to see the sights.

Las Vegas, Nevada (November)
    Business trip for hubby, play for the rest of us. We love Red Rocks, the children's museum, people watching, and visiting Hoover Dam.

Bags: I am currently in limbo. I usually carry my Brain Bag with camera and computer gear, and check a bag that I share with the kids. However, the kids are getting their first one bag travel luggage this holiday season. I have an eBags weekender for now, but I hope to acquire an Aeronaut before too long. :-)
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Yeah, I know. I'm pretty type-A, but I also learn where my conferences will be a year in advance. Depending on how awful the conferences are, the more I want to take consolatory holidays, haha.
    Much of our travel revolves around conferences as well. I like having those dates planned well in advance. Hubby is currently pretty exhausted from too many conference presentations, and is dreaming of taking a break.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

Sebring,Florida in February for an RV Rally.
    The 15th Annual Scamp Camp!

FL Scamp Camp #15 Sebring FL Feb 11-15, 2013 - Fiberglass RV

Now this is a good time!
    Last year I was cornered by an Armadillo in the shower! Of course I don't think he even knew I was in there but still.....
    There were almost 70 tiny trailers last year and it gets a little bigger each year. I show movies outside in the park at least once during the event and we had 100 people last year watching the SuperBowl on the 10" screen I set up.
    My Tri-Star and Synapse can not wait!

Ed
    kmcg and tymar1976 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    Much of our travel revolves around conferences as well. I like having those dates planned well in advance. Hubby is currently pretty exhausted from too many conference presentations, and is dreaming of taking a break.
    Ugh, me too. I forgot that I have yet another (very brief) trip to Chicago coming up in April for a meeting of people in my discipline at Big 10 (now 12, I guess) universities. I've already vowed that 2013-2014 will be The Academic Year of Only Two Conferences. One year I went to like six. That was a nightmare from which I could not awaken for months.

I'm planning 2 weeks in Europe in June. My husband wants to go to Scotland and I want to go to France, so looks like it will be a week in each. Other than that, just our annual family visit to Ontario in August. I'll definitely bring my small cafe bag with me on both trips. I'm considering a Co-Pilot as well - hoping my husband might have bought it for me for Christmas or for my upcoming birthday.

Adelaide, Noosa, Bali...all in the next 6 weeks!

And all with my Aeronaut!

Merry Christmas to one and all :-)

Italia!

I will be visiting my native Italy in May for two weeks to see family in Aosta, Bologna and Palermo.

The last time I went a couple of years ago, I carried huge roller bags that needed to be checked in. Ridiculous! This time, I'll see how it goes with just my Aeronaut and either my Synapse or my Co-Pilot.

Starting to do lots of research on one-bagging it and packing. One big development for my travels now, though, is that I now take an iPad instead of a 15" MacBook Pro. This is a big reduction in weight, bulk, and hassle. And... on the iPad, I can do everything I need to.

Someone please help me!
    I have BAS (Bihn Acquisition Syndrome)!!

Our family of 4 will be traveling to Singapore and Philippines early in 2013. This will be the first time we're traveling with our two kids (5yo & 16mths). Our 5yo is pretty excited as he's been on a plane previously but first time for the younger child.

Bags to pack: Aeronaut (2), possibly Brain Bag, one Synapse as a nappy bag, another Synapse as my husband's EDC, Co-Pilot as my EDC. Plus an assortment of OP, packing cubes, and travel organizers for the bags. I will post packing photos later.

We haven't quite made it to the One Bagging scenario yet, perhaps for our next big trip to USA when the kids are a bit older. Our trips to Singapore always consisted of bringing stuff back for family members there and vice versa, so traveling light is a pipe dream.

JLE
    Our TB collection will get lots of use in 2013. Here's what's on the cards so far:

January - 2 weeks with the family at the beach in Portsea, Victoria. 3 Aeronauts, 2 Synapses, 2 LCBs and whatever huge bag my husband insists on taking...
    February - possibly, a girls' long weekend in Hong Kong or maybe Tokyo (decisions, decisions... ). Will be taking carry-on luggage only despite weight restrictions. I will use the Aeronaut but only if a niggling shoulder injury has recovered by then; otherwise a Bric's soft sided cabin spinner which comes in at about 2.3 kg empty (not too bad for a good quality wheeled bag)
    Also in February - a surprise weekend trip to Tasmania with my husband for our wedding anniversary [shhh!]. The WF plus a LCB or Imago should be perfect for this one.
    March - my long-awaited, much-anticipated trip to Bangkok and Bhutan! Imago and Aeronaut - again subject to shoulder recovering, otherwise the Bric's again instead of the Aeronaut.
    June/July - four weeks in France and the UK. Much debate already underway about which bags to take! My sons will definitely be taking their Synapses, though.
    September - possibly Fiji (TBC). Length of trip will determine bag selection.

In between, lots of short work-related trips to Sydney etc. My WF is my go-to bag for these.

nsh
    I love hearing about all the travels! I will, of course, travel with a Synapse as my trusty one bag. I am thinking of adding a Cafe Bag (maybe medium sized) to make a dynamic duo of travel bags.
    2013 will be filled with lots of travel:
    January: Arizona for a week and Honduras for 17 days
    February: DC for a long weekend to visit my Mom recovering from surgery
    March: Honduras for a week of fun
    April: Chicago for work, Champaign, IL for fun
    May: Nancy Drew Conference (finally a fun conference!) in Boston for a whole week!
    July: Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia for a family fourth of July celebration
    August: surprise trip (TBD) for our first wedding anniversary
    That is all I know, so far!
    Happy holidays

Cool Travel in 2013

Alaska Cruise

Next May a 7 day cruise roundtrip from Vancover with Holland America. Wife and I will stay a couple of days before the cruise to see the sights in Vancover.
    Over the last year, my wife has researched an Alaska trip which included cruise and Denali land tour. We found that the budget for this would be around $8,000 inclusive, air travel, extra time in Vancover, meals on land tour. We did attended a presentation for Discover Alaska. We liked their package since it included food on the land tour and a train from the cruise port to Denali.
    Alas, we didn't want to spend the money on one trip where we could do two or three trips with the money saved by only doing the cruise part.

Santa Fe New Mexico
    During a hot air ballon festival in Albuquerque.
    (we have our passports )

San Antonio Texas
    Stay near the River walk.
    jeffmac likes this.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0