Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Your 2013 Travel Plans

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    That's some list! It makes my modest plans seem very pedestrian. As I said elsewhere, Spain probably 8-10 ties, the South of England a couple of times and, hopefully a wee trip to British Columbia.
    That's funny, Eric. To me, 8-10 annual trips to Spain seems very exotic—I've never been there. I'd like to walk part of the pilgrimage route of Sant'Iago at some point. (And, you really have not seen "pedestrian" until you've spent hours in a conference room in Skokie, IL.)

Quote Originally Posted by cucciasv View Post
    The last time I went a couple of years ago, I carried huge roller bags that needed to be checked in. Ridiculous! This time, I'll see how it goes with just my Aeronaut and either my Synapse or my Co-Pilot.

Starting to do lots of research on one-bagging it and packing. One big development for my travels now, though, is that I now take an iPad instead of a 15" MacBook Pro. This is a big reduction in weight, bulk, and hassle. And... on the iPad, I can do everything I need to.
    Sandro, Mrs B. and I traveled for three weeks in Italy last year and I used my Aeronaut. The packing list is somewhere here on the forum. If we were going in late spring/summer, it would be even easier since we wouldn't need coats or layers. The only problem with not checking a bag is that you can't carry on liquids. That meant we couldn't bring back wine or oil from the various regions we visited. Next time, I may just bring a shipper and check that on the way back, or else save up a ton of money and pay to have the wineries ship to me.

Bologna is one of my most favorite cities ever. Jealous.

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    Alaska Cruise

Over the last year, my wife has researched an Alaska trip which included cruise and Denali land tour. We found that the budget for this would be around $8,000 inclusive, air travel, extra time in Vancover, meals on land tour. We did attended a presentation for Discover Alaska. We liked their package since it included food on the land tour and a train from the cruise port to Denali.
    Alas, we didn't want to spend the money on one trip where we could do two or three trips with the money saved by only doing the cruise part.
    I know all too well how expensive the travel outfits can be in Alaska. I honeymooned with Alaska Wildland Adventures and it was quite a hefty chunk of change for an 8 day adventure. The trip was *amazing*, but as cash strapped newlyweds, it was pretty scary to commit that money. I'm so glad we did, though.

I hope your cruise is fantastic! It has been more than 15 years since my Alaska trip, and I am so anxious to go back!
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

So, I have been watching this thread with an extreme amount of jealousy, because for the first time in memory I had NO travel planned for the upcoming year. My better half starts school in two weeks, and will go for 9 months with only a short break over July 4th. We're also opting out of the annual summer Scuba trip with our friends :-(

This is emotionally devastating for a Sagittarius. But I'm ok now, because I just bought plane tickets to Ft. Lauderdale for the end of this month for a family birthday celebration. There's also talk of heading back down over Thanksgiving. There's even a possibility that we'll be away for Christmas, either in Washington, DC or Orlando, FL (thank you DVC). But the best news? The BEST news?? Just this morning, my better half said "if we're not going diving, maybe we can visit my friends over the 4th of July? You know, the ones in ...... SEATTLE." Well. After I regained my composure, I offhandedly mentioned that I might want to visit a certain little store. After a moment, she realized I meant TB, and rolled her eyes. But seriously. I. Am. So. Excited.

• Las Vegas - February
    • New Orleans - March
    • Minneapolis - March
    • Phoenix - May
    • Carolinas or Georgia Coast? - July
    • Fort Worth - August
    • Portland - November

Most of these trips are work related, but I usually try and take extra time to see the area and visit any family and/or friends that happen to live nearby.
    Steel/Ultraviolet Aeronaut, Steel/Solar TriStar, Black/Steel Checkpoint Flyer, Steel Packing Cube Backpack, Steel Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Solar Travel Tray, Snake Charmer, Pouches, 3D Clear Organizer Cube, etc.

Most likely heading to Disney World in Orlando, FL in May for a travel agent conference (wife owns a travel agency specializing in Disney destinations) and then down again in late August for a 7-night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Disney Fantasy!
    JonP likes this.

Cuba in January (done!)
    Arizona in April
    Paris and Cardiff Wales in August/September
    Ottawa for Christmas
    and a few other minor ones Victoria/Vancouver, possibly Portland, Oregon
    Never enough!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by jannilee View Post
    Cuba in January (done!)
    Arizona in April
    Paris and Cardiff Wales in August/September
    Ottawa for Christmas
    and a few other minor ones Victoria/Vancouver, possibly Portland, Oregon
    Never enough!
    Can we swap lists, please? I know Cardiff well as I used to live there, but haven't been there for 25 years, and I've only ever been to Paris once, but loved it. The rest would be all new - it's a shame I've missed Cuba, I'd have liked that!

If you can go to bc why cant you go to Cuba? It would probably be a shorter flight,especially if you flew from Spain. The people there are lovely and so was the resort where we stayed - out in the countryside between varadero and havana. There is a lovely little reef in waist deep water with a good selection of fish and lots of reefs further out too. I have discovered that i LOVE snorkeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Toblerhaus View Post
    I know all too well how expensive the travel outfits can be in Alaska. I honeymooned with Alaska Wildland Adventures and it was quite a hefty chunk of change for an 8 day adventure. The trip was *amazing*, but as cash strapped newlyweds, it was pretty scary to commit that money. I'm so glad we did, though.

I hope your cruise is fantastic! It has been more than 15 years since my Alaska trip, and I am so anxious to go back!

I looked at Alaska cruises and all I could see were long ones stopping at all the little tourist trap towns but spending 5 minutes in Denali!

Give me a fast cruise from Seattle or Vancouver to Denali train station ( a great stop by Glaciers Bay and Kodiak would be most appreciated) drop me and the people who love wildlife off, anchor in... Anchorage and take the shoppers to the tourist town "excursions" then pick me and the wildlife lovers at the Denali train station then back to Vancouver or Seattle.

While the wildlife and wild landscape lovers eat up Glaciers Bay and the other National Parks, the shoppers and party goers can eat/drink and by merry the nights away.

The boat is good because there is free food and drink at all hours of the day at the buffets and a room to keep the Travel Bag (most likely Aeronaut and Tristar) in without the need to shlep anything but a Synapse or a Smarter Alec with new customized add-ons in Nordic Dyneema or the (future larger Synapse).

I would love it if the cruise was casual, no formal dinner = no need for frou-frou clothes, if I want to meet the captain, I'll ask for a tour of the bridge.

Another pet peeve, (very important for baby boomers) why can't I bring my pet?*

And why do they use those tiny dingy to take people on excursions locations?
    I don't like to go from a city/boat to a something barely able to support my weight, get some real flat boats to get to the Parks destinations already!

If I wanted "adventure" which included falling in freezing cold water to the very detriment to my health, I would do white water rafting!

I only want the ship and train to Denali, I can arrange transportation to and from the departing port. It would be nice to depart from Seattle and come back in Vancouver or vice versa.

I look forward to a cruise like that organized by a preferably northern European operator.

*In cruise ships that allow people to bring their pets, the pets are left in the kennels and not allowed in the cabins!
    Last edited by backpack; 01-27-2013 at 10:26 PM.

I'm still building my list but so far..

Cancun, Mexico (February)
    It's technically a business trip. One of my companies is paying me to attend the conference there. I'm going to fly in early to spend a few days in Tulum and then I'll head to Cancun for the conference before flying home.

Vail, CO (March)
    My childhood friend got married last year and has decided to settle down here and requested a visit. I love Colorado and I'm hoping to bring my board and get some powder runs in.

Peru, Brazil, New Zealand (later in 2013)
    Still working this out and figuring out when the best time to go is. I plan on seeing ruins in Peru and spending some time taking in the culture and spending time with some Shamans. Then it's off to Brazil to eat açaí bowls and go surfing every day. After that it's off to New Zealand because I've always wanted to visit that beautiful country.
    "It's dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to."

My list is a bit crazy already!

January-
    Las Vegas- CES- 3 day quick trip that was all Tri-Star. (Done)

Anaheim- NAMM show- Just got back from 7 days. Tri-Star and Co-Pilot. (Done)

San Francisco- MacWorld- 4 days with Mrs Mac, sort of work/play combo. Tri-Star and a brand new Dyneema Synapse I bought in a moment of weakness.

Feb- All driving trips and recovery!

March-

Spring Break- London 5 days/Paris 2 days. This is a family trip and I am taking my 3 Brito-phile daughters and my long suffering wife on a long delayed major holiday! I am waffling on possibly getting a Dyneema Aeronaut and letting one of my daughters or lovely wife use it or my Tristar. The Synapse really got purchased as a day pack for this trip.

I have a bunch of stuff mapped out in London but 2 days in Paris has me a bit overwhelmed, so I am open to any ideas and suggestion on this!

April-

Musik Messe- Frankfurt 5 days/Edinburgh 3 days/Cambridge 2 days-

This is the other reason I am thinking about the Aeronaut. I can JUST do 8 days in the Tri-star but it is packed to the max. 10 days seems like a stretch..

June

Infocomm- Orlando- 5 day tradeshow- Likely my Tri-Star and my Co-Pilot

Looking back on this it is truly sad how much of my travel is cued on trade shows

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post

Santa Fe New Mexico
    During a hot air ballon festival in Albuquerque.
    (we have our passports )
    I wish this were a joke

I haven't had a go-out-and-explore-a-new-place type of vacation in years. I've decided that this is the year to change that! Here are some definite and tentative travel plans on the horizon:

February
    Chapel Hill/Carrboro, North Carolina to perform at the North Carolina Comedy Arts Festival (definite!)

May
    Chicago and Madison, Wisconsin to see my sister graduate from her master's program, and perhaps attend WisCon, a feminist sci fi convention? (not set in stone yet, but probably I'll go)

Possible short trips later in the year
    Very short trip to the Adirondacks, Boston, Washington DC

Places I Wanna Go Explore Someday Soon, I Hope
    Montreal, New Mexico, New Orleans

I've Never Been, I Have Family and Friends Working There, But I'm Concerned About Government Stability
    Democratic Republic of the Congo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0