Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Food and Travel

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    So I am in Paris for a few days and I thought I would put Frank II's theory to the test. I am sad to report that the anticipated weightloss is yet to eventuate and in fact things may be moving in the opposite direction!
    When I'm in Paris, I like to go to the Dalloyau tea room at the corner of the Luxembourg Gardens, 2 Place Edmond Rostand. You can sit in the restaurant portion on the second floor that overlooks the gardens. They have great teas, salads, and cheese plates. Others like the coffee and deserts. Here's the link to an old food blog with some pictures.

moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Meant to attach a picture in my last post recommending Dalloyau (from Google Maps Street View on my iPad, still at iOS 5.1.1). You'll pass it if you just walk down the Boulevard St. Michel in the direction of the Quartier Latin. And not to shock you, but there's a McDonalds about two blocks away.
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348426371.473844.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  89.7 KB
    Last edited by moriond; 09-24-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Corrected iOS version and added link to their web page

Quote Originally Posted by JLE View Post
    So I am in Paris for a few days and I thought I would put Frank II's theory to the test. I am sad to report that the anticipated weightloss is yet to eventuate and in fact things may be moving in the opposite direction!
    I think your solution is to stay longer until it reverses course!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I like to eat local food too but I prefer to find a well furnished apartment which have the facility of kitchen and I think it is better than a restaurant or cafe. It is also a cheap way during travel.

I've finally let go of the notion of truly being able to use food as a way to explore a new place. We have severe food allergies (gluten, tree nuts, peanuts, egg, and dairy) in our family, and it is a lot of work to make sure the we are able to eat safely in restaurants. I miss being able to walk into a place and order something without fuss or worry.

We always try to rent an apartment so we can cook most of our meals when we travel. I do try to find one or two places to safely eat out, so we are able to enjoy dining out a little. Unfortunately, it sometimes does mean relying on American based chains. I know they're reviled, but I am thankful that they are available for us to use when needed. I'm also thankful for the Internet and Google, which helps me identify places we *can* visit to eat.

Still, I'm thankful that I can read about the local food adventures of others. Especially those of you who take pictures and do lovely write ups of the food I cannot eat myself.
    --Amanda

Packing and gadget geek, collecting bags to disperse to my family.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    FYI! Jodi's book -- The Food Traveler's Handbook -- is out and available for order on Amazon and others.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Toblerhaus, I have begun facing similar, although not quite so severe, limitations as well. In the last 5 years I've developed some major food intolerances (thankfully not full-blown allergies) that have limited my eating out. I've found the hardest meal for me is breakfast! I can't do dairy, soy, eggs, or a lot of gluten which really rules out most breakfast foods. I tend to pack some vegan bars and try to find a little market where I can get some fresh, local fruit. In bigger cities I have noticed that you can find a lot more options that cater to allergies, but sadly that isn't always the case in more rural areas. When I go to visit my parents, I end up packing a big bag of groceries and taking a cooler full of food for a weekend road trip. I know your situation is much worse than mine, but I definitely feel some of what you are going through. Don't be afraid to call a restaurant and see how accommodating they can be to your food issues. I've found that by asking the right questions, you might be surprised at where you CAN eat. Good luck though!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0