Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Metal water bottles and airport security

I would highly recommend a Vapur water bottle. It folds flat and rolls up very small when empty. Fits in just about any small zipper pocket.

And....They are made in USA!

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteStar View Post
    And if you're at all worried, why not get one of the fabulous Lifefactory bottles that Tom Bihn sells. I was skeptical about the whole "glass bottle" thing but I adore mine.
    I second White Star, I adore my 2!
    The bottle is see-through which make it easier to inspect in order to make sure it is empty.

I carried mine in the luggage cart handy to drink from then placed it in the back strap of my BB and I think left it there until I got to my seat. I removed it and put it in the seat pocket for takeoff.

I used it to pour the soda given on the flight.

Due to the testimonies about seat pocket grossness, I will add another plastic bag as a dedicated bottle protector. Unless...

Tom comes up with a Dyneema/clear urethane Quiver/Yarn Stuff Sack a la Clear Quarter Packing Cube.

Mostly Clear Urethane with Dyneema for support at the top for the zipper pull and in vertical bands 3 or 4 on the side to connect the bottom and top.

This way, it could be inspected without being removed, same principle as the 3D Clear Organizer Cube.
    Last edited by backpack; 04-14-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Mostly Clear Urethane with Dyneema for support at the top for the zipper pull* and in vertical bands 3 or 4 on the side to connect the bottom and top.

This way, it could be inspected without being removed, same principle as the 3D Clear Organizer Cube.

Hem... I meant * The drawstring pull.

I usually travel with a metal bottle. I went through yesterday with my empty TB metal bottle inside my pack. No problems. If I carry my insulated Kleen Kanteen, I just take it out of the bag and remove the cap so screeners can see it's empty. My only worry with water bottles ever was the rumor I heard that screeners at some of the international airports in Italy would confiscate especially nice bottles (even if they were empty.) Didn't happen to me and I suspect it rarely happens.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

dmauder, can you tell me the difference between the Vapur bottle you mentioned and a Platypus? I'm always on the look out for a new and improved version.
    Thanks bunches,
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    dmauder, can you tell me the difference between the Vapur bottle you mentioned and a Platypus? I'm always on the look out for a new and improved version.
    Thanks bunches,
    Moose
    Hi Moose: Pretty much the same concept between the Vapur and Platypus soft water bottles. But I think the Vapur is more well thought out with the new Element model that has the SuperCap with integrated carabiner. When you roll the bottle up for stowing, you can flip the caribiner over it to keep it from unrolling. And when full, the bottle can be attached to any bag, purse or backpack. The SuperCap is also leak proof.

Both are made in the USA, so that's good. But I just think Vapur is overall a better design.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
    My only worry with water bottles ever was the rumor I heard that screeners at some of the international airports in Italy would confiscate especially nice bottles (even if they were empty.) Didn't happen to me and I suspect it rarely happens.
    I'm sure airport security screening is a thankless job, but oh my goodness, I do not want to trust these people. If any of you are TSA agents, I apologize in advance. But I just hear so many stories.

At least though, since most of us here tend to avoid checking in our bags, we don't have to worry about baggage handlers going through our belongings and stealing our valuables. Eek.

Backpack -- your using the glass bottle to fill with in-flight soda is intriguing. Do you ever feel like the bottle is a little too heavy, though? That's one of the reasons I haven't bought one.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Last year I attended a work conference in Phoenix, AZ, for a couple of days. All meetings were scheduled in hotel conference rooms with a choice of iced tea or water served throughout the day including meals. Since I don’t drink iced tea, I always drink water at these type of events. I found the taste of the municipal water in Phoenix totally undrinkable. It was truly disgusting. Since then, I searched the internet for a solution. I wanted a metal container (limiting BPAs) to take on trips that would go though airport security, and the container needed to include a filter to reduce the taste of nasty tasting municipal water I might encounter in future travels.

My current solution is a stainless steel CamelBak water bottle with a built in filter connected to the straw. I ordered this one from Amazon at Amazon.com: Limited Edition Water.org CamelBak Groove Water Bottle (Stainless Steel): Sports & Outdoors which is a little more expensive, but the company does make a donation to the water.org campaign. Replacement filters can be purchased at Target and other local retail stores.

Since purchasing, I have traveled with this water bottle only a couple of times through airport security, and so far, I haven’t had any problems. It will fit in either the Synapse or Co-Pilot dedicated water pocket. I have left the water bottle in the pocket while going through security and have not encountered any problems. TSA has yet to ask me to remove the water bottle from my bag, or hand inspect my bags.
    Last edited by historygal; 04-21-2012 at 04:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post

Backpack -- your using the glass bottle to fill with in-flight soda is intriguing. Do you ever feel like the bottle is a little too heavy, though? That's one of the reasons I haven't bought one.

Sorry for the late response Lani. I have the 16 oz, I bought my first one at the store while visiting.
    I like the colors better than the 22 oz and it is a dream to transport. Great capacity, easy to hold and very lightweight.
    Perfect for the Brain Bag and the Synapse.
    So much so that I got another one, which I use at home to sip Italian sodas and lightly flavored naturally bubbly spring water.

A 22 oz will most probably make its way to me for storing homemade smoothies or even milk as I buy it in cartons and it sometimes gets an aftertaste which I dislike.

Hope it's OK to ressurect this slightly old thread, but it seemed perfect for my question...Does anyone know if the gorgeous Tom Bihn metal Matterhorn Bottle fits in the bottle pocket of the Co-Pilot? It doesn't look like it will, but thought I'd ask...

If it doesn't, maybe we could suggest that they make one that fits! I, for one, would buy it!
    On an Epic Quest for the Perfect Bag...

One Bag to rule them all, One Bag to find them,
    One Bag to carry them all and in the aircraft bind them...

Quote Originally Posted by Sacharissa View Post
    Hope it's OK to ressurect this slightly old thread, but it seemed perfect for my question...Does anyone know if the gorgeous Tom Bihn metal Matterhorn Bottle fits in the bottle pocket of the Co-Pilot? It doesn't look like it will, but thought I'd ask...

If it doesn't, maybe we could suggest that they make one that fits! I, for one, would buy it!
    Just ask the nice Tom Bihn customer service. They've got both items in their warehouse

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0