Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: European airlines experiences, please share.

kmcg - Have you tried the Merrell's barefoot line? I have the Pure Gloves and they are amazing. You could easily wear the solid black ones dressed up or down. I wear mine with long pants, skirts, and capris. They are super light weight and beyond comfortable. I have walked for hours in mine and even wear them to the gym for a spin on the treadmill and have worn them to work as well. They flatten down to nothing. I definitely recommend trying them on before buying because they fit close to your feet and you might need a smaller size than you think. They've got a few different options if you prefer a different look. They are seriously my new favorite shoes.

Mrs B and I also wear barefoot shoes. She has a pair of whatever the women's version of the Trail Glove is called. One thing to keep in mind with minimalist footwear is that their comfort level depends on your fitness level and the terrain. First, you have to adjust to the new level of ground feel and may have to re-learn how to walk lightly, watch out for glass, and so forth. And then you have to predict how well the footwear will work for the terrain you will encounter. For instance, I can wear my Vivobarefoot Neos for hours on trails or pavement. I had a much harder time with them on Italian cobblestones (I kept tripping for some reason, too). Mrs B was wearing the Merrells and was just fine though--I chalk it up to the superiority of the Vibram sole.

Yeah, I took a week of just wearing mine walking the block to work and back and then around the office. Since I spend 99% of my time either barefoot, in flip flips, or in thin ballet flats, it didn't take long to get used to them. As long as I am moving, they are great...not as much for just standing for long hours (3+). I love that the Merrells have the Vibram soles. And they are easy to slip in and out of which is a plus for flying. I've had mine for a month now and think they are perfect for travel and every day wear.

I'm thinking that we may need a Not About Bags post on women's barefoot shoes.

Sorry to have sidetracked the post from European airlines to shoes for packing light! But I'll just quickly respond before we return to our original thread topic.

I've been eyeing the Merrell glove shoes, as I'm a die-hard wearer of Merrells. But I've read that the level of cushioning in them is pretty minimal, and I think that's what I really need for running around Europe. I'll try them on next time I go to REI, though. They are definitely svelt and light weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Backpack, I would NOT advise sending your clothes through the mail. Even with UPS, delays can happen and you don't need the added stress of wondering where your stuff might be.
    I'm with Badger on this one, Backpack. The only time shipping stuff is preferred is when you've bought souvenirs you don't want to carry with you.

Although... if you are staying with people you know, or you are staying at a hotel with solid customer service, you might consider shipping a few extra pieces of clothing via air mail WELL in advance of your trip, and arrange it with the hotel that they will contact you when the package arrives. Whatever you ship, though, you have to be willing to have it not show up in time for your trip, in case it gets lost in the mail.

I'd say layer (with more tops than bottoms, as already mentioned), with access to laundry facilities (or laundry service). Even if your hotel doesn't have either, they may be able to tell you of a nearby launderette. Some people can manage to just rinse their garments in their own hotel room, although if it's not a quick-dry item, it'll be a bit of a pain (I typically roll them a la maki sushi style into a bath towel and then wring the towel before I hang the items on a line I bring with me).
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    I'm thinking that we may need a Not About Bags post on women's barefoot shoes.
    I think the topic is germane since backpack was concerned about carry-on weight. Going with more minimalist gear is a sure way to reduce that weight.

To follow up on my earlier question to backpack: if you are just going from the US to, say, LHR or CDG, it's worth checking your bag if you are concerned about weight. I don't doubt an Aeronaut, even if it's overweight, would survive a trans-Atlantic flight in the hold with no problems. It can be a huge pain in the ass to wait for your luggage when you arrive, but then you don't need to stress out that your bag will be subject to being weighed. (you can also then carry a teeny personal item and attract incredulous stares.) If you are taking multiple flights within Europe, then I wouldn't recommend it.

The last thing is that if you don't overpack, no one will give the Aeronaut a second look. When I was sitting in JFK with a fairly loaded Aeronaut, I looked around and noted how everyone's bags looked bigger than mine. Even teenagers' North Face book bags looked bigger. I slung one of the backpack straps over my shoulder casually as I walked towards the jetbridge and was waved through with no hassles.
    Lani likes this.

I would do only carry on, I was only thinking of shipping instead because of weight limit.

I was impressed to see Jmcrist pictures as well as finding out that his Brain Bag weighed 35.6 lbs and he was allowed to carry it on Lufthansa.

http://www.tombihn.com/forums/custom...brain-bag.html

The laundry would not be a problem, but I usually carry as much as 30 pounds on domestic flights as carry on.

Does BA always land at Heathrow?

I love everybody's suggestions, including light shoes and the new (to me) clothes line.

My husband can make an entire trip with minimal stuff, and as I said he has that lovely European build, so I can even buy stuff at that destination, if needed, even without him.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-14-2012 at 02:52 PM.

No, BA lands at Gatwick sometimes, too.

I'm with Badger on this one (actually, I think I almost always agree with whatever Badger says).

Rolling uprights are so ubiquitous in airports these days that someone bringing a shoulder-worn bag barely gets a glance from airline personnel.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I worry about weight mostly on flights within Europe. My next trans-Atlantic trip is on Lufthansa though, so I may change my tune after that. I'm planning to try to carry on my TriStar, which should be close to the carryon weight limit. On most major carriers, don't they just make you gate-check your bag if it doesn't pass muster at the gate? That's not such an awful result, IMO. Better than trusting overseas shipping, isn't it?

Hey KCMG

I will be on Alitalia next week from Frankfurt to Rome with a Tristar and I will let you know how the carry on attempt goes!

I wasn't trying to imply that minimalist shoes were off-topic and therefore verboten. Instead, I was excited to devote a whole post to them!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    Hey KCMG

I will be on Alitalia next week from Frankfurt to Rome with a Tristar and I will let you know how the carry on attempt goes!
    Jeff, the Tri-Star will be just fine. There were people on Alitalia with MULTIPLE bags and so one tidily-packed Tri-Star will be comparatively austere.

Have so much fun in Italy!

Thanks for the well wishes badger...I have taken several of your suggestions and put them to good use!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0