Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Under seat bag storage

Under seat bag storage

Ok, this might be goofy, but does anyone think sliding their bag under an airline seat is just, well, gross?
    I travel with my Synapse and stash it under the seat in front of me but I hate it. Heaven only knows what's been under that seat. If I then put it on my back all that gaack is now on my clothes. I could stash it on its front but that never seems to work and the gaack is still there.
    Now, I'm not normally a germ-a-phobe or anything but it just seems really nasty. Anybody else ever wonder about this?
    Thanks,
    Moose
    Janine likes this.
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

If you're that worried, bring some disposable towels to put on the carpeting and then put your Synapse on top. Take the towel with you when you leave and throw it out in the terminal.

Now, the seatback pocket....talk about gross. Never put anything in it. They are rarely cleaned. And the tray tables. Not cleaned between trips. I take a disposable disinfecting towel to wipe the tray down. As well as any other device for games, entertainment, etc.
    Lani likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I don't travel much, and hadn't given it a second thought, but now that you mention it I'm squicked out by it! I'm going to have to figure out a version of Frank's disposable towel idea. I'm thinking a washable towel that I can fold into its own pouch to allow safe transport inside my bag without cross contaminating everything. Eeeeewwwww just thinking about it has me wanting to gag.
    Si non aptus in Peram, ego opus ad buy magis quisque.
    my bags: S, LS, KP, mg'11, S, LS, COW, MCB, LS, COW, LSB, SE, LSB, TT, SB, TSS4, PCSB, PCBP, SC, BB, BB, FoJ, RS, F.O.T., LSB, S25, K, LS, I w/AS, A, PP FJN, SE, 3-DC, MCB, PCBP, PCSB, CQPC, S19, LSB, SB, TT, WF, UT, LSB, CQPC, SE2, MCB, RiPad

I read a horrible story about a person flying Spirit whose personal item was, umm, violated when the kid in front of her got airsick. (I have flown Spirit once; never again; and neither plane had airsickness bags, so obviously, this could happen again.) I will probably never put my item under the seat in front of me again. I'll tuck my Kindle and iPhone into my Side Effect and keep everything else in the overhead bin.

Don't mean to gross anyone else out, but flying Spirit was such an awful experience, and then to read that.... I had to rethink everything!
    dorayme likes this.
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

I would not feel too comfortable about the overhead bins either. You don't know where they have been or what has been up there! Best solution - no luggage at all. Buy everything where you get there !>))
    Jenne likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    If you're that worried, bring some disposable towels to put on the carpeting and then put your Synapse on top. Take the towel with you when you leave and throw it out in the terminal.

Now, the seatback pocket....talk about gross. Never put anything in it. They are rarely cleaned. And the tray tables. Not cleaned between trips. I take a disposable disinfecting towel to wipe the tray down. As well as any other device for games, entertainment, etc.

Eeeeeeewwww!

Enough, enough enough! I'm never flying againnnnn.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Commercial airlines' planes are public transport just as trains, metros, trams and buses are.

This is why one wears long pants/skirts and long sleeves tops, even in hot weather, when one has to board one or more public transports vehicles.

The only alternative is to drive a private car, fly a private plane and pay the gas companies for the privilege.

I wonder why I am not surprise Spirit has no sick bags and is unpleasant to fly with, the CEO went on Undercover Boss and proved to be, like most of the CEOs featured on the series, incapable of accomplishing the most basic tasks required to run his company.
    Most of the guest CEO's had a paternalistic attitude and glaring ignorance of workplace safety.

Cleaning is the most important job in every public place or mode of transportation. I still don't understand why city halls are gleaming with gorgeous marble while bus, trains and tram are seldom deep cleaned. Many people without homes, ride the public transports non stop during service hours, as it provides warmth and security. People who are not given sick days, ride sick.
    In an ideal world, each bus and train/tram car should be steam cleaned everyday, it doesn't happen in most countries.

I throw all my crap* in a plastic bag and use the bag as an in-seat pocket or under-seat area prophylactic. Then when I get off the plane I put all my stuff into my other bag and toss the plastic bag. I do tie it shut as well because I am totally afraid of someone throwing up on it. If I'm flying domestically and I know I have laundry facilities, I use my reusable shopping bag.

Also, I disinfect the tray by wiping hand sanitizer all over it. I'm kind of thinking about carrying some disposable alcohol wipes for this upcoming trip though.

* by which I mean my belongings; in the context of this particular discussion, perhaps there might be some confusion.
    Jenne likes this.

Isn't that kind of wasteful?

I'd recommend a trash bag instead. Stick your carry-on inside, with the opening facing you. That way you can easily go in and take items out.... and should anyone get sick in the seat in front of you, your bag is protected!
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post

I'd recommend a trash bag instead. Stick your carry-on inside, with the opening facing you. That way you can easily go in and take items out.... and should anyone get sick in the seat in front of you, your bag is protected!
    or you can lend .. er... give them the trash bag :-)
    List under construction ....

Quote Originally Posted by Lani View Post
    Isn't that kind of wasteful?
    I'm talking about a couple of sheets of Bounty-like towels. No more wasteful than a garbage bag which if it's sitting on the floor you probably don't want to pack in your carry-on and reuse.

BTW, it was the CEO of Frontier Airlines, not Spirit who was on Undercover Boss.
    Lani likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

BTW, it was the CEO of Frontier Airlines, not Spirit who was on Undercover Boss.
    Secret shame television show.. I could watch that FOREVER.
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

I was amazed at how much rubbish people left behind on a recent trip. I looked into the seats as I exited the plane and the mess was incredible.

I guess I'm a bit odd - I don't generate much mess anyway but I put any rubbish into the empty bag from the blanket (long haul flight) and leave my seat otherwise rubbish free. Partly because I don't think staff should have to clean up a scene of devastation and partly to make sure I've not left anything behind.

As far as luggage cleanliness goes .. wheeled bags are the worst ... (if you're squeamish stop reading now) ... I checked into a very nice hotel and spent ages looking for the smell - yep it was the wheels of my spinner. Let's just say that some folks in that town don't clean up after their pooch....

I spent about 15 minutes in the shower with the bag and hand shower cleaning the wheels ... I was extra careful after that.

Given that the wheeled carry-ons tend to go in the overhead .. from that experience the underseat is going to be a better bet.
    List under construction ....

Wow, I came home thinking I might have a reply or two only to find twelve. I've been thinking about using my rain cover, backwards, over the back of my pack. I can easily wash the rain cover. I too wipe down the tray table, I wash my counters and table at home so that seems reasonable to me. Dorayme, I love it, "squicked out", may I quote you? Daisy, I may never again use the overhead bins either. Thanks everyone, it seems I may not be completly alone in this one.
    Take care,
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 12-05-2011 at 04:12 PM.
    SE in olive, plum S19, SE, pouches and Field Journal. uv S19, Shop Bag, Yarn Sack and organizer Pouches. Synapse25 in steel/uv. Medium Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, SE, Swift & Kit in black. Absolute Strap, steel Kit and small dyneema Pouch, wrist straps, kiwi Swift, Citizen Canine & Kit. Abergine Tri Star, Kit and SE. Wasibi & uv Organizer Cube Pouches, July 4th pouch, December 2011 & 2012 Mystery Gift, 2013 parapack mystery gift and last but not least I'm proud FOT.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    but does anyone think sliding their bag under an airline seat is just, well, gross?
    Not until I read this thread... The seatback pocket sounds worse, though.
    Aeronaut (crimson) with Absolute Strap, Synapse (navy), Smart Alec (black/steel/solar), Shop Bag (solar), cache for MBP, cache for iPad2, and numerous pouches and key straps.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0