Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Cool Eyeglasses Case?

I bought my first pair of glasses today! Step 1 is wearing them. Step 2 is figuring out how not to destroy them. Does anyone have any recommendations for good travel cases for eyeglasses? Ideally, I'd like a hard case, that wont bend or flex and break my new face gear.
    http://www.playthisrecord.com

My Tom Bihn arsenal
    Bags: Steel/Solar Aeronaut w/ Absolute Strap | Black/Steel Brain Bag | Black/Cardinal Tri-Star | Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec
    Accessories: Camera I-O, Tripod Quiver, Brain Cell, Snake Charmer, Vertical Freudian Slip, Vertical iPad Cache, RFID Blocking Passport Pouch, Kit, Travel Tray, various Organizer Cubes & Pouches

I have a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses that came with a very light weight but hard sided case. I searched around on amazon.com and found a case that looks almost exactly the same as the maui jim case. i don't think that the case will last forever, but it will likely serve you well enough. check out this link: Amazon.com: Flying Fisherman Zipper Shell Sunglass Case, Belt Loop and Clip (Black): Sports & Outdoors
    Last edited by 123veo; 06-26-2011 at 09:15 PM. Reason: links are driving me crazy

Last edited by 123veo; 06-26-2011 at 09:14 PM. Reason: inserting link properly

It's probably not as glamorous as having a uber-brand or even Tom Bihn design, but you could probably find a very functional and protective case at a CVS Pharmacy, Walgreen's or other similar establishment. Also, don't discount your local grocery store or even convenience stores, either. Sometimes very good deals and products can be found in not-so-obvious sources. Just keep your eyes open (pun).

You can also check out local sporting goods/outdoor stores - Dicks, Scheels, REI, etc. They often have hard(er) shell glasses cases which are generally fairly inexpensive.

Oakley has a wide variety of hardshell cases that are pretty bomb-proof and will fit other kinds of glasses (and my Garmin 705 bike computer). You can check them out online at the Oakley website.
    YonkDaddy!
    Black/Iberian Aeronaut, Steel/Wasabi Synapse25, Black/UV Synapse19, Black/Steel Western Flyer, Black Checkpoint Flyer, Steel/Wasabi Side Effect, Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Travel Tray, numerous packing cubes, organizer pouches

Just wanted to say thank you to all that replied. I ordered two of the above for the wife and I, as they seem well made and sturdy. Hopefully I can get some pictures once they arrive and I get a little use out of them.
    http://www.playthisrecord.com

My Tom Bihn arsenal
    Bags: Steel/Solar Aeronaut w/ Absolute Strap | Black/Steel Brain Bag | Black/Cardinal Tri-Star | Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec
    Accessories: Camera I-O, Tripod Quiver, Brain Cell, Snake Charmer, Vertical Freudian Slip, Vertical iPad Cache, RFID Blocking Passport Pouch, Kit, Travel Tray, various Organizer Cubes & Pouches

Good choice. Several years ago I purchase one of those at an Eddie Bauer outlet store. I did not know the manufacturer as it as store branded. It held up to everything I could throw at at. Sadly, I forgot to remove it from my car when I got a new one a few years back. Nice to know they are still around and where I get get one!

Quote Originally Posted by Yonkdaddy View Post
    Oakley has a wide variety of hardshell cases that are pretty bomb-proof and will fit other kinds of glasses (and my Garmin 705 bike computer). You can check them out online at the Oakley website.
    Second this recommendation! I have never done wrong Oakley.

My humongous glasses (big frames) fit well in a Small Clear Pouch, I traveled with them that way, I just need to make sure they are held inside the Clear Quarter Packing Cube between two cushioned Small Pouches (holding fabric type of items).

I even carried them inside the same Small Clear Cordura Pouch behind a Medium Padded Pouch and a cushioned Small Pouches (holding fabric type of items) when I could not fit the Clear Quarter Packing Cube in my Large Cafe Bag because it was full to the brim with stuff in Tom Bihn Pouches.

Somebody from the Crew might chime in and say: " we don't recommend that, please use a Padded Pouch"

I don't like the small square ones, make me look like a squirrel!

Of course this design really look good on others but not me.
    Last edited by backpack; 10-18-2011 at 02:25 PM.

I was just wondering about the same thing since I've started wearing contacts again. Normally, I don't need glasses cases since they're always on my face, but I would love to find a holder that will protect my glasses and hold the contact lens case and a small bottle of eye drops. Even better if it would also hold a pair of sunglasses (Ray-Bans.)
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

If you prefer a soft case, my wife uses a really nice Berkley ($5 I think) one from Walmart in the fishing section by the polarized sunglasses. They have decent $5 sunglasses on the shelf (not the hanging ones), same brand as the hanging but for $5, awesome for vacation trips! The shelf ones usually go quick so keep checking back at different store locations.
    Last edited by thorn; 10-28-2011 at 08:45 AM.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    I keep either my Ray-Bans Wayfarers or my air-titanium ordinary glasses (whichever arn't actualy on my face) in my FOT pouch in one of my Ristrettos. Unfortunately money can't buy this little Ultraseude beauty, but that's no excuse not to start a campaign for a small Ultraseude pouch without the FOT emblem! D'Arcy, prepare to repel boarders (well, field enquiries anyway -sorry ;D)!

I use my FOT bag for small camera gear, but that sounds like an excellent use! Maybe I can switch camera gear to the Independence Day bag and use FOT for my glasses/wayfarers. Or I might get a padded pouch. Like I need an excuse to get more pouches!
    I love my Aeronaut, Tri-Star, Western Flyer, Cadet 15 Brain Cell, Imago, Medium Cafe Bag (daily bag), Swift, Side Effect and accessories (snake charmer, packing cubes, stuff sacks, pouches, lights, keystraps, etc.) Eagerly awaiting trays and Canine Citizens! Picture to come soon.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0