Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Yikes! 5 kg carryon limit!

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    I don't think the weight restrictions have any purpose except to encourage the checking of baggage (and the enhanced revenue for the airline that checked bags bring.) *cue rant here*
    Actually, it's about reducing injuries from excessive weights falling out of the overhead bins onto the heads of the passengers sitting below.

Audrey

Quote Originally Posted by falconea View Post
    Actually, it's about reducing injuries from excessive weights falling out of the overhead bins onto the heads of the passengers sitting below.

Audrey
    If it was the case, they would have banned all rollaboards from the cabin a long time ago.

OK, in my less snarky mood: I would guess that weight limits might have a safety basis (though why they have been largely ignored by most airlines does make me wonder...) I also appreciate that, from the point of view of flight attendants, heavy bags frequently mean that they are called upon to assist passengers in getting their bags stowed, which means greater odds of strains and sprains for them, too. One of the reasons that I started packing light was that it was becoming harder and harder for me to hoist a heavy bag well over my head on my tiptoes to get it stowed.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Thought I'd follow up.. There was an amazing sale on Lands End stuff near me, and I got a few jackets that I was in need of for the winter anyway. They do not have very large pockets but they all have some. I may get a tailor to add two large internal pockets to the one coat I anticipate taking to Hungary.

I also bought a Tri-Star which I will try out on a domestic U.S. flight this weekend. It was a real toss-up between that and the Western Flyer but in the end I decided I like being able to consolidate everything in one place. I intend to pack it lightly, and put my really important stuff in a smaller bag that will fit right into the center pocket for quick retrieval. Hopefully having one bag only will make me look streamlined enough so that no one will want to weigh it. If they do I'll make use of the coat pockets...

For the Europe trip I will just end up checking a small bag in addition to the Tri-Star. I'm not that minimalist a traveler! However I'll be comfortable knowing all my essentials are with me.

I realize this is an old thread, but I wanted to add that you can TOTALLY do this!

Your absolute easiest solution is to wear a ScottEVest... they have like 20 pockets and you can carry all of your electronics in your jacket and completely lighten up your carry-on.

Other than that, it's really important to choose a bag that by itself is very lightweight. Until such time that Tom Bihn starts selling Tri-Stars or Western Flyers in their wonderful Dyneema nylon (one can always hope!), you might find that those bags take up too much of your weight allotment to use.

My husband and I flew Virgin Atlantic a few years ago to Europe, and they have a rather strict 6Kg limit... a little more generous than yours, but we did it!

You can go read about it at my write-up here: http://www.travelite.org/?p=90

Hope you managed it get everything packed up in a carry-on!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    If you want large pockets in winter wear, try Barbour waxed cotton coats and jackets ( www.barbour.com ). Most have one or two 'poachers pockets' originally for stuffing a couple of poached rabbits or pheasants in, but nowadays great for cameras iPads or any other goodies.

Thanks for the tips!
    First of all, I LOVE those jackets. Much more stylish than some of the multi-pocketed vests I've seen. I will check them out. Turns out they have a store in my city, too. Wonderful!
    Lani, thanks, too. I have seen your post before and it has some wonderful tips. I have actually bookmarked and re-read it a few times. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
    My carry-on just needs to fit my electronics and some minimal clothes and toiletries that would allow me to not panic if for some reason my checked bag didn't make it. However since I'll be traveling a lot within-country and don't want to be weighed down with stuff, it makes sense to keep everything as lightweight as possible.

are you going to business? is the laptop essential?
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    If you want large pockets in winter wear, try Barbour waxed cotton coats and jackets ( Barbour - authentic country and lifestyle clothing fit for the outdoors ). Most have one or two 'poachers pockets' originally for stuffing a couple of poached rabbits or pheasants in, but nowadays great for cameras iPads or any other goodies.
    I have far too many Barbour jackets for my own good. They'll probably not see the light of day again until October, but I consider my Beaufort to be my go-to travel jacket in all but the coldest conditions. The poacher pocket is in the back panel and easily fits an iPad and other stuff. I tried a full size laptop in the poacher pocket once, but it definitely made my bum look fat :-)
    SusanA likes this.

Regarding the Laptop question. Get. An. iPad.

Seriously, I've had an iPad for about a year, and I am finding more and more worthy apps which really make it a legitimate device for anything but the most substantial document processing.

Yonkdaddy: i have been vacillating between a MacBook Air and an Ipad for several reasons, and I am wondering if you can help me make a decision!
    here are some questions:
    1. like most, i am a bit hesitant about the keyboard. I can manage the Iphone, but not for long. I am a "blind" qwerty typist-- don't use two fingers, and I found it really difficult to type on screen because of this. Makes me think I would be better off being a two finger typist. I know there are "keyboards" available--like the Kensington ones that are built into the IPad case. Do you have any experience with this and whether some are better than others?

2. has the lack of a usb port been a problem? maybe it will not be, but i am wondering. I do have Mobile Me access--so should be able to download and access most things.

3. the only other hesitation i have is about PRINTING capability. Does the IPAD 2 have it?

I could not tell.
    thanks
    shiva

Hey, Shiva... here you go:

I actually spent a fair bit of time practicing with the onscreen keyboard. I am almost as fast touch-typing on the soft keyboard as I am on a hard keyboard. It can be done. The biggest problem is that most of the punctuation and number keys are on separate keyboards; for example for that last semi-colon, you've gotta switch to the numeric keyboard. it's a little slower but I was definitely able to get the swing of it. And, you can also get a Bluetooth keyboard; Scosche just came up with one that actually rolls up! I actually take my iPad only to conferences these days for note-taking... it's all I really need. (Hint... if you like "mind-mapping" style of note-taking, try iThoughtsHD... it's really good).

The iPad Camera Kit comes with two adapters: One for SD cards and another for a USB connector. That USB can actually connect anything that communicates that way. I use Dropbox and Box.net as cloud-based storage areas; both have free accounts, 2Gb at Dropbox and more than that at Box.net. Almost every application that stores a document will go out and sync with those services. Same with Mobile.Me. We got one of the camera kits; we've had it for at least 6 months and I JUST got it out of the box.

The iPad supports AirPrint. It "Officially" only works with a series of compatible HP Printers. But we have one of those and it works flawlessly. Also, there are some fixes to Apple's final, crippled AirPrint implementation... google "Airprint Hactivator" and you'll find one of them. Of course if you were traveling you could just (1) email the doc to yourself and (2) pick it up at your hotel's business center and print from their PC.

I don't have a MacBook Air (wish I did), but I can tell you that I don't get my MacBook Pro 13" out more than once a week any more. And if I don't think I have to use my specialized MSProject work software on a trip, I don't bring my work laptop any more either.

hello back: thank you for taking the time to give me the best answers I have ever received for these questions! Truly appreciate it.

I have been asking the same questions for a while on other forums--and got back either "unusable high techie gobbledygook" (and i am fairly techie myself!), or worthless soft answers! So this is truly truly helpful and practical advice.

1. Good to know about the Camera kit. I use Mobile Me and Dropbox--so that takes care of that.

2. What APP do you use for Word, Powerpoint, and Excel? i know there is Iwork, but I am still more comfortable with Excel for example.

3. Will look up what you suggested for note taking---that is something I am definitely interested in.

4. Keyboards: do you have any thoughts on the Kensington or Logitech integrated keyboard versus getting an external bluetooth keyboard vs Apple's own bluetooth + dock? I know the dock only does vertical orientation. The Kensington gets good reviews, but is quite heavy. seems to defeat the purpose. I have not looked at the Logitech--it looks very sleek; it is aluminum. I only need this if I am going to do long hours of typing...

5. Battery life: how has this worked for you?

shiva

Hi... glad to be of service! Here's what I think about your other points:
    I use QuickOffice and DocsToGo for quick edits to simple Word & Excel files. I keep a copy of DocsToGo on my iPhone as well. It does come in handy sometimes. For more heavy-duty processing I have Apple's Pages & Keynote. None of this is perfect, but I have been able to do basic text processing and do some edits on a science-based powerpoint deck. I don't do much with Excel but at least with simple spreadsheets, QuickOffice works pretty well.

I have never hooked up a keyboard to my iPad. BUT I think part of the coolness of the device is how thin & light it is; I can't imagine "permanently" attaching a bulky case/keyboard combination to it (making it into a substandard MB Air). If it was me, I would explore one of the folding keyboards.

You didn't ask about cases... of course the iPad 2 has the very cool "Smart Cover"... that seems really cool. I use a Dodocase cover... kind of makes the iPad take on the Moleskine vib. I really like that one.

Battery life really is at least 10 hours. I almost never turn mine off... just put it to sleep. I pick it up first thing after I get home every night and it gets used for emails (I've got 3 different accounts on it, including my work), random web browsing, controlling my uVerse DVR, etc. I charge it every 2nd or 3rd night. The only time I've gone through a whole battery charge is on return flights from Europe... after reading, playing the iPod, watching a movie or two, and playing a game or two, it's pretty tapped. I've got a Richard Solo 9000 mAh "Mobile Charger"... it basically connects to a USB cable and will charge anything you can plug into the other end, and it will almost put a full charge on an iPad, and I carry that with me if I'm gonna be on a plane for a long time and want a full charge on the other side.

One thing... they really are about worthless in bright sunlight. While I really like my iPad better than my Kindle for book reading (I haven't bought a book on paper in at least 2 years), I keep the other device for sitting around the pool.

BTW, I've got the 64g/3g device. It's definitely worth it to go for the gusto. I have used the cell plan while traveling; it's very easy to turn it on/off at will. And the 3g device also has GPS. I have Navigon on my iPhone; it's a "universal" app and is also usable on the iPad... it is VERY cool navigating with all of that screen real estate.

Hope this all helps.

A bit more on the iPad... one of the major weaknesses of the device is that there is no internal filing system. If you are not connected to the cloud, files that you create/edit get stuck basically within a file system inside every app. BUT this problem is definitely relieved with the use of cloud services like Dropbox & Box.net. These places basically become your file folders, and of course they work very well. And just about every app that I've used that creates/edits a document (except, believe it or not, the Apple ones... Pages & Keynote) will save them to these cloud services, and some are moving toward "real-time" syncing too. So while this is something everybody needs to be aware of, I still think that the iPad is a very worthwhile Laptop alternative for what many of us do while on business or personal travel.
    Last edited by Yonkdaddy; 05-06-2011 at 10:44 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0