Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maverick

Thread: fun facts - capacity / weight of a roll aboard vs. a bag you carry

Volunteer Moderator

fun facts - capacity / weight of a roll aboard vs. a bag you carry

hi folks!

i know the discussion of roll aboard bags comes up periodically, so i thought i'd share this.

it's interesting to see the capacity and weight of two bags that have the same dimensions - one being a roll aboard and the other a non-rolling bag that you carry.

consider the tom bihn aeronaut that many of us know and love -

dimensions: 22" x 14" x 9"
    weight: 2.71lb
    capacity: 45 liters

now, consider this high quality roll aboard bag from another manufacturer.

dimensions: 22" x 14" x 9" (same as the aeronaut)
    weight: 7.5lb (almost 3 times that of the aeronaut)
    capacity: 35.7 liters (almost 80% of the capacity of the aeronaut)

so, this rolling bag weighs more than the aeronaut and holds less than the aeronaut. well, maybe the overall weight will be the same as the aeronaut - but made up of more "bag" weight and less "stuff in the bag" weight than the aeronaut.

wow!

now, if you go with the roll aboard alternative (provided you want to not check anything in), you'll need a (larger) second bag to hold what the roll aboard won't hold but that the aeronaut will in the same footprint.

what's more - while the aeronaut and the roll aboard in this example are the same size (sized to be allowed as carry on luggage on most flights) - something to keep in mind is that when these bags exceed the carry on sizing limits on some smaller jets, the aeronaut is more likely to be overlooked compared to a rolling suitcase with the same dimensions because it appears smaller when it's on your back.

unless your back or shoulders just can't handle carrying a bag, the aeronaut's the way to go!

just something to consider when you are trying to decide between a bag you roll and one you carry...
    snowbot likes this.
    -m

Post Cart

Which is why I use a foldup cart for my Aeronaut. Better stability with 3 inch wheels and slips behind the Copilot's back pocket to fit underneath the seat if need be.
    In most domestic flights it will fit in the overheads attached to the Aeronaut.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Darn gosh it Maverick, that is some seriously good info. The aeronaut just keeps coming up on top

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    Which is why I use a foldup cart for my Aeronaut. Better stability with 3 inch wheels and slips behind the Copilot's back pocket to fit underneath the seat if need be.
    In most domestic flights it will fit in the overheads attached to the Aeronaut.
    What fold up cart do you use?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dclawyer View Post
    What fold up cart do you use?
    I suspect that BPritchard is using one of the carts he linked to in the Please develop a rolling bag thread. Incidentally, if it is the Personal Porter Luggage Cart
    $39.85 Item #LC327 from Magellan, that item appears to be in stock once again. (Shiva's October post mentioned it was no longer available). You might check out the other links in that thread.

moriond

That's the one. Just got back from a trip to Gatlingburg that started last Sat. It worked OK.
    However, still not a procedure I want to fool with at this stage in my life.
    So, after Thanksgiving is over, the Aeronaut will go on EBay.

The bag is great, but is too heavy to carry even with the Absolute strap or backpack straps. This was experienced in the the trip to Seattle last June.

I though a cart would be the answer for me.

Alas, in my younger days, there would be no problem.

So I will be researching a roller carry-on that has some substance to it and not cheaply made.

This is my first trip with the Co-Pilot. Worked out great! Carried my Netbook and Kindle plus other needful things in the various nooks and crannies.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    So I will be researching a roller carry-on that has some substance to it and not cheaply made.
    For trips where I have no choice but to be lugging around a lot of weight (read: books with glossy pages), I use a Briggs & Riley rolling carry-on. Excellent, solidly made, lifetime warranty. Pricey, though. Got mine on sale (last one in the store) for almost $100 off and it still hurt the wallet. Zero complaints otherwise.

I've owned all sorts of bags including rolling ones from Briggs & Riley and Tumi. If I were to buy a rolling bag today I would buy a Costco store brand bag - Kirkland. I think they are of good quality reasonably priced.

I have been using patagonia lightweight travel duffel for my last 2 european trips (winter time, 6 days and 10 days).

Dimensions: 36 L (2196 cu in) 17" x 12" x 10.5"
    Weight: 14.3 oz.

I just wish the shoulder straps are more padded. The duffel weighed 14 lbs for the 10 day trip and straps really dug into my shoulders.

Thumbs up New Rollabout

Found a Delsey Flexlite horizon on sale - 1/2 price at JC Penney.

Dimensions are 22x9x14. Expandle area on top, which if used and not over-stuffed, will fit in most major US carriers overheads.

Of course, with the handle hardware, etc, is heavier than Aeronaut. But still light enough to lift into the overheads.

Seems to be well made. Handles, etc are attached by phillips screws, not cheap rivets. Definitely not a Wally World knock off.

In my younger days I would have stayed with the Aeronaut. Especially with the options of Absolute strap or backpack straps. I have recommened the Aeronaut to others, especially for trips when they only want a carry-on for regional airlines.

As I mentioned previously, I needed a roll-about since the Aeronaut, with my stuff, was too heavy and the cart was too much of a hassle.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0