Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Thread: Garment Bags

Garment Bags

I'm looking for an affordable, quality folding garment bag (for suits, dress shirts, etc). I currently use an Aeronaut for my luggage and need to take some dress clothes for an extended trip. Anyone here have any insight on this? Sorry if this has been covered previously, I did a search and didn't find anything helpful.
    Last edited by leviathan; 10-03-2010 at 05:40 PM.
    http://www.playthisrecord.com

My Tom Bihn arsenal
    Bags: Steel/Solar Aeronaut w/ Absolute Strap | Black/Steel Brain Bag | Black/Cardinal Tri-Star | Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec
    Accessories: Camera I-O, Tripod Quiver, Brain Cell, Snake Charmer, Vertical Freudian Slip, Vertical iPad Cache, RFID Blocking Passport Pouch, Kit, Travel Tray, various Organizer Cubes & Pouches

Battle Lake Outdoors makes a very solid one.
    --------------------------------

There is a nice video of Maverick packing a suit in an Aeronaut using a Eagle Creek Garment Sleeve. I personally use a regular cloth garment bag and pack it in my Aeronaut wrapped around my packing cubes. A little steam after unpacking and the dress clothes look fine.

Nice video! I do have a question for Maverick, tho: why did you turn the packing cube inside out before putting your dress shoes inside?
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Nana8 View Post
    Nice video! I do have a question for Maverick, tho: why did you turn the packing cube inside out before putting your dress shoes inside?
    hi nana8!

you might carry clothes and other items in your packing cube (on the inside), and you might not want the bottom of your shoes going where your clothes and those other things go.

or, you can call it one of my quirks.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    hi nana8!

you might carry clothes and other items in your packing cube (on the inside), and you might not want the bottom of your shoes going where your clothes and those other things go.

or, you can call it one of my quirks.
    Hi, maverick!

Lol! It is a great "quirk" that makes perfect sense! Thank you so much for satisfying my curiosity!
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

Does anyone know if the Eagle Creek Garment Sleeve would fit in a Tri-Star?

I know for other web-sites that the Eagle Creek PackIt! 18 bundler will fit in either the Aeronaut or the Tri-Star, but I do not know about the Garment Sleeve / Tri-Star combination.

Thanks,

-- The Mountain Man
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

If you're going purely by dimensions, I wouldn't count on it:

Eagle Creek Garment Sleeve..... 21 x 13 x 2"
    Tom Bihn Tri-Star................... 19 x 13 x 8"

A little short, I'd think.

Good to know.

Thanks.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

I don't travel for business too often, but wanted a decent garment bag. I bought a Victorinox Werk 2 Garment bag on Ebay for ~$100. I wrote a review of it on Epinions if you're interested in more details.

http://www.epinions.com/review/Victo...t_287609228932

I've traveled with it a number of times now and still like it. It folds to be pretty compact, keeps clothes reasonably nice, and looks good. No one on this forum would mistake it for a Tom Bihn bag, but it certainly does the job.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0