Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Safety razor and travel

This year I decided to try shaving with a safety razor and so far I really like it. The dilemma now is how to find a way to travel with this option. If my better half checks a suitcase I guess my problems are solved but I wanted to check in here and see if anyone else had clever ideas.
    Owner of : Imago, Aeronaut, Brain Bag, Smart Alec, Synapse, Co-Pilot

According to the TSA website, safety razors are fine in carry on:

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2002/p…

but razor blades not in cartridge form are not. Hmmm...anybody have a good sense of the availability of the blades? If they are reasonably available, then just bring your razor and count on getting additional blades for it when you arrive.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

That is the most confusing text I've seen in a while.

Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors.

So safety razors are excluded but technically they are razor blades that are not in a cartridge. Why would they be excluded?

I once checked at a CVS to see if they had blades since I know Gillette makes a safety razor and I often see the soap and brushes at CVS. I wasn't able to find any so it might be very uncommon. Plus I am not sure they would fit in my Merkur shaver.

Look at the size of the blades on a cartridge razor and then look at the size of the safety razor blade.

To get the blade off of the safety razor, you have to take it apart. The blade for a safety razor is loose and easy to use.

Lastly, the blades on a cartridge razor are angled in such a way they really can't do much damage. A safety razor blade can kill a person in less than a second.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    Look at the size of the blades on a cartridge razor and then look at the size of the safety razor blade.

To get the blade off of the safety razor, you have to take it apart. The blade for a safety razor is loose and easy to use.

Lastly, the blades on a cartridge razor are angled in such a way they really can't do much damage. A safety razor blade can kill a person in less than a second.
    I agree, that is why I'm confused by the text. It's negative logic but I think what they are saying is:

1. You can't bring a razor blade (understandable)
    2. You can bring a safety razor (confusing)

If they just changed "excluding safety razors" to "including safety razors" then I'd understand.

You can bring a "safety razor," you just can't bring the blades for it.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

That ambiguity led to my trying to carry on safety razors. My experience is that if you try to carry on the blades you will lose them, and the outline of the razor will show up on every xray and every security checkpoint will verify that you don't have razors tucked away somewhere. Even in Europe. Carrying even an empty safety razor gets in the way of the simplicity of carrying on, IMHO.

For US travel buying blades once there isn't a good option, as most people who shave with safety razors go through some process to determine what blade is best for them, and they are likely to be special order items. The generally available blades are well-regarded.

If you have companions who are checking, have them carry them. You can mail them ahead to your destination. Or try the new Schick Hydro. I don't give this up easily, but it's a very good cartridge razor. It's just a bummer and there are no good solutions.

Most Wal-Marts have cheap double edged blades if you needed to pick some up--as do many pharmacies.

I've used a safety razor for several years now. I travel with it and several extra blades and I've never been questioned. I always worry that they'll take not only the blades but also the razor. They've tightened up recently, but I flew just a few months ago without a problem. If you're worried, don't want to take any chances, and don't want to use cheap blades, you could always mail a few to yourself--they're pretty light. I've received a number that way from other wet shaving enthusiasts who want to send a couple of unusual brand blades for me to try.

I recently carried a safety razor and blade (separate) on a flight and didn't raise any alarms. On the way back the blade was in the razor.

-gargoyle

I've had my carry-on searched twice because I had an empty safety razor in it (blades were in a checked bag). I now travel with a cartridge razor in the carry-on to avoid issues.

Regards,
    Brian

Volunteer Moderator

Alexis121
    Safety razor and travel:
    I've taken my first dive into DE shaving and after my first shave i was a convert. Before this revelation I was totally dispirited with shaving mainly using and the cost of a conventional cartridge razor. Over the years not realising i'd condensed the hateful chore down to as short a time as possible and tried everything from the expensive 'umpteen' blade cartridges down to the lowly single blade disposable face scrapers, all with no joy or fun. To my delight i've found that by actually throwing more time, ceremony and additional age old shaving 'peripherals' [badger brush, wool fat soap & alum block] to the issue of male grooming i'm now thoroughly enjoying it. I haven't used any other DE safety razors but i'd say the Merkur Travel Razor is an ideal starter razor. It is incredibly small in its deconstructed state but when screwed together is great for my smallish sized hands and is a good weight and well balanced. Not much pressure is required when shaving and there is enough weight in the head for it to do the work for you without giving an aggressive shave. Having just started i've had a couple of nicks [probably down to my ropey technique] but i've not had any shaving rash or redness. I do travel on a regular basis but i'm using this as my main razor which it is totally suited for and doesn't feel like a compromise in any way. I store it in the leather pouch in between shaves which means it needs to be taken apart and if anything is an advantage as it's a good reason to give it a proper clean between shaves, ensuring an excellent performance every time
    Last edited by Just; 02-23-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Fixed image

I use a Merkur Progress safety razor at the house. Very close shaves.

However... when I travel, I take along a Sensor Excel cartridge razor.

I don't know what the confusion is all about!

You can bring a safety razor but NOT the blades! Blame the TSA!

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by Climb14er View Post
    I use a Merkur Progress safety razor at the house. Very close shaves.

However... when I travel, I take along a Sensor Excel cartridge razor.

I don't know what the confusion is all about!

You can bring a safety razor but NOT the blades! Blame the TSA!
    Hardly a surprise! After all 911 was expedited by killing/threatening hosties with box cutters! Razor blades would do the job even better! Disposable/cartridge razors can be fashioned in to very effective weapons, but it takes time and effort to achieve (a common prison weapon I believe).

After a lot of trial and error, I use Wilkinson Sword triple blade disposables with a badger brush from Arran Accessories and a very old fashioned block soap from my local chemist.

Oddly I don't generally see much benefit in multiple blade razors as, in the main, they clog very easily, and the more blades you have, the worse it gets. On the other hand, most single or even twin blade razors are just rubbish, and rip your face to shreds. The Wilkinson Sword 3 blade extreme, however, is a really good compromise. They have, relatively, good quality blades and clear reasonably easily. Plus they are made by Wilkinson Sword - the name on the world's finest blades! I have three of their swords in my collection (two 1896 infantry pattern, both made before 1901 and an exceptionally fine Royal Navy officer's sword which has seen parade duty in my hand).

The only real downside to these razors is that they are expensive as they really only do one shave before they start to dull.

I recently started using the Schick Hydro 5.

When I first saw it I thought it was a gimmick but someone sent me a free one to try. I was hooked. Great close shave and I get about 50% more shaves than any other blade razor I've used. And I have a heavy beard.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0