Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Quote Originally Posted by misterN View Post
    I just got a bunch of shaving supplies today based on the testimonials in this thread. Going to try it out when I get home from work (I started trying to build up lather with a badger brush during lunch, I didn't get super far though...)

Using the Proraso Shaving Soap and a Merkur 180 safety razor.
    Watch that you don't have too much water in the brush. I made that mistake moving up from a bristle one. Try shaking it till you've shaken most of the water out then start making the lather. If it's too dry then just dip the brush in the water a little before carrying on lathering. Youll soon judge how much you need, but to start with it's easier to add than subtract. Also a new brush will take a week or two to really break in and soften up.

Good luck though, it's worth the effort. Keep the styptic pencil/alum handy for your first few attempts and stick to with the grain (downwards mostly) for the first couple of weeks unless you like pain and blood;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Watch that you don't have too much water in the brush. I made that mistake moving up from a bristle one. Try shaking it till you've shaken most of the water out then start making the lather. If it's too dry then just dip the brush in the water a little before carrying on lathering. Youll soon judge how much you need, but to start with it's easier to add than subtract. Also a new brush will take a week or two to really break in and soften up.

Good luck though, it's worth the effort. Keep the styptic pencil/alum handy for your first few attempts and stick to with the grain (downwards mostly) for the first couple of weeks unless you like pain and blood;-)
    Yea, I definitely nicked myself a few times. It was nice though, but I feel like it's going to take awhile to for my skin to adjust to using this blade. I was also going through about 5 days worth of growth. I think if I do every other day, having more maintenance shaves, I should be fine and my skin will adjust fine. I was using the Proraso shaving soap, with their before/after creme before. It'd be best doing it fresh out of the shower, as opposed to using a hot water towel to help open the pores.

Hi All... fascinating set of messages. I have a couple of favorite shaving creams... the first is from Geo F Trumper in London. I use the Coconut Oil for normal skin, and it's really nice. Available over the web from a number of US sources as well. Here in the States, I've picked up the eShave White Tea shaving cream and after-shave cream. The scent is both sublime and subtle, and the after-shave cream is really marvelous.

I have great super badger shaving brushes from Geo F Trumper and from Taylor of Old Bond Street. Both are really good, and can be ordered over the web.

No safety razor for me... I use the Art of Shaving Fusion Power Shave razor and like it alot.

Finally, for folks traveling to London, I really recommend a visit to Geo F Trumper's barber shop in Jermyn street for a luxury straight-blade shave. Hot towels, hand-whipped lather, more hot towels, cold towels, skin food, the works. It's expensive but an important part of my travel ritual when I hit London!

Finally,

I don't have a really thick beard, but I do love a luxurious wet shave. Here's my input:

I use Geo F Trumper's Coconut Oil Shaving Cream; beautiful, subtle scent & very rich lather. It's available online either from Trumper or there are a few places in the US that stock it. ALso, eShave's White Tea Shaving Cream and After-Shave Cream are wonderful. GREAT scent, and the after-shave cream really leaves my skin feeling fantastic.

I have some great super badger brushes I got from Taylor of Old Bond Street and Geo F Trumper. Both are really nice and I recommend them.

If you're in London, you have got to go to Trumper's barber shop just off Jermyn street for a shave. Hot towels, hand-whipped shaving cream, straight-blade shave, more hot towels, cold towels, skin food, aaahhh. Not to be missed; it's part of my ritual every time I'm in London!

I use an Art of Shaving Proglide Power Razor... it's really nice... and it has a headlight!

For anybody out there who's a head-shaver, I also highly recommend the HeadBlade product line. The only way to have a smooth dome w/o nicks! I shave my head more than my face, so have a lot of experience with these products.
    Last edited by Yonkdaddy; 04-13-2011 at 03:29 PM. Reason: Adding a bit of new content.

I ordered some Taylor of Old Bond Street aftershave from West Coast shaving and they instead sent me their shaving cream (which I didn't want to try for 19$) and was happy they did as they let me keep it as compensation for their error. Boy am i happy with it. Smells great and shaves superbly.

However if you aren't sure if you want to spend that much on a whole jar Shoebox shave store has 1/4 oz samplers for $3. I ordered 5 of them to check out all the scents, they will be delivered today. If you go this route I highly recommend Eton College, its new to me but has quickly become my favorite scent.

Quote Originally Posted by jcaramis View Post
    I ordered some Taylor of Old Bond Street aftershave from West Coast shaving and they instead sent me their shaving cream (which I didn't want to try for 19$) and was happy they did as they let me keep it as compensation for their error. Boy am i happy with it. Smells great and shaves superbly.
    $19!!!!! 6.90 here (about $10-11). It's half the price of Trumpers here, though 150g rather than 200g. I really like their sandalwood, but can't make up my mind between soap in it's nice turned wood bowl and the cream in a plastic tub. Both are great.

I nicked myself shaving today. Not remarkable you're thinking, not so I say! When I started this DE shaving thing I slashed my face to bits. Today a small nick, the first in ages. I must be getting the hang of it ... at last!

I use a safety razor too. For strictly carry on, there are two options:
    1. buy the blades at your destination.
    2. If you know where you are staying, mail the blades ahead of time to your hotel. They should be able to hold them for you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0