Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Sensitive skin on me; I have had very bad experiences with most true disposables, and mostly better ones with any of the reloadable (cartridge-enclosed) blade varieties.

The best disposables I've found are the Gillettes that CostCo has carried for a few years (though I've only had to buy them a few -- CostCo has big packs ). The few times I've decided to try a conspicuously cheaper look-alike variety, I have paid in nicks. Not quite *death* by a thousand cuts, but I'd rather keep my toilet paper for its intended use.

However, most important (for travel purposes, esp) has been a switch to shaving oil. Tiny container lasts forever (months), and I like the smell. I have not yet tried using plain olive oil, though it *might* work just fine. If I get into shaving as a hobby one day, I *might* be tempted to drag along the equipment while traveling, but I'm not sure I'd want to give up the weight / space savings. For me, a few of the better disposables and shave oil takes up maybe 2 ounces, and little room.

timothy

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Well, I got back to the UK on Thursday evening and at about 10 p.m. I ordered a Merkur Futur plus a supply of blades from www.mankind.co.uk with there 'standard' postage service (which was free). In the morning I got an email saying it had been dispatched and the following morning to that it arrived. Excellent service, worthy of mention on this site I think!

I used the razor with a Merkur blade just set to no.1 (yes I know I'm a coward!), and with a little care got an excellent shave taking off three days growth.

I've been watching a few youtube videos on the subject and I think a better shaving brush, some experimentation with creams/soaps and a shaving bowl/scuttle might be in order. Any recommendations folks? I'd be particularly keen to learn more about Mav's scuttle or even see a picture.

A question. How many shaves might one expect from a blade? I know its not a science, but what do people find? My 3 blade wilkinson's sword disposables used to last one shave at most! Sometimes, if I had a few day's growth, it would be blunt and useless before I was finished ... and this was the best I could find.

mep
    How many shaves from one blade is a hard question to answer. It depends on your beard and the sensitivity of your skin, but I think that most people get 3 to 7 shaves on one blade in a DE razor. I change my blade every Monday, which for me is 5-6 shaves because I often don't shave on Friday or Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    How many shaves from one blade is a hard question to answer. It depends on your beard and the sensitivity of your skin, but I think that most people get 3 to 7 shaves on one blade in a DE razor. I change my blade every Monday, which for me is 5-6 shaves because I often don't shave on Friday or Saturday.
    Thanks mep. When my disposable gets blunt, I know it because it starts to rip my face to bits. I'm kind of nervous of these DE blades because they are very sharp and scarily exposed, so I feel like if I get it wrong I might just cut off something vital! I generally only shave when I have a client meeting or something important. That means between say 2 and 5 times a week. However, at the moment I can't wait to shave!

Oh and a styptic pencil. I've never used one before, but I'm seriously impressed. The only downside is that when I used it on my top lip and it dripped in to my mouth - not nice! Anyone any thoughts on styptic pencil vs alum block?

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Anyone any thoughts on styptic pencil vs alum block?
    I use both, I have an old style plain block of alum that works really well. Seems overall that the alum block stings a bit less on the nicks than the pencil does.

Other good sources of info are badgerandblade.com

Other places i've had good luck with product wise is classicshaving.com and leesrazors.com

And I want to +1 the West Coast Shaving recommendation, they shipped me the wrong item and got the correct one out to me a few days later and let me keep the wrong product as a "free sample" great people.

Quote Originally Posted by jcaramis View Post
    I use both, I have an old style plain block of alum that works really well. Seems overall that the alum block stings a bit less on the nicks than the pencil does.

Other good sources of info are badgerandblade.com

Other places i've had good luck with product wise is classicshaving.com and leesrazors.com

And I want to +1 the West Coast Shaving recommendation, they shipped me the wrong item and got the correct one out to me a few days later and let me keep the wrong product as a "free sample" great people.
    Thanks for that. I've found a couple of really good places here in the UK, www.mankind.co.uk in particular. I'll order an alum block with my next order - I've got an urge for a decent badger brush. I have three brushes, but they are all bristle, and not really very nice. I fancy a decent silvertip!
    Last edited by Fat Crip; 03-26-2011 at 06:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mep View Post
    I usually get about 2 weeks on a DE blade, shaving every alternate day and not on weekends. I've found that I can get an additional 1-3 shaves if I flip the blade around halfway through it's life.

-gargoyle

Thanks Gargoyle.

So it seems a better shave, with blades costing less than half the price, that last five times as long! The cost of a 30 razor will be repaid in weeks!

However, I just bought a shaving scuttle. It arrive today and works brilliantly ... I had to stop myself performing a 4th pass with lovely warm lather! So that's another 35 to 'recover'.
    Last edited by Fat Crip; 03-28-2011 at 02:58 PM.

Thumbs up

I've been using a DE razor for years, and here is my go to kit:

Merkur Futur Razor - great weight and balance
    Moss Scuttle - the original retro scuttle and -- IMHO opinion -- the very best
    Shavemac Brush - had a few brushes, this was the best
    Feather Blades - very sharp, but perfect and smooth
    Tobac Shaving Soap - just great lather and scent. That said, I'm really enjoying a new shave soap from Em's Place, Bay Rum. After years of Tobac, Em's Bay Rum may well become my default.

I can't imagine going back to a cartridge razor. BTW, I usually get 5-7 shaves per blade (two passes each shave).
    Last edited by bnett; 03-29-2011 at 05:27 PM.

Oh dear, no wonder I've not bought another bag for over a month! I just ordered two more different Merkur razors, two brush stands, a wooden soap dish, some shaving cream and an alum block. This on top of a new Kent badger brush, an excellent scuttle (how did I live without it?) and a Merkur Futur razor last month. All I need now is another brush for my other house ... oh and and another scuttle, and another alum block and, and, and ........

This i as addictive as bags and shoes! At least my wife won't think I'm turning gay for buying razors ... I hope!

If you use a plastic safety razor and have sensitive skin like me, then use shaving oil instead of shaving cream.
    http://www.amazon.com/SHAVE-SECRET-S.../dp/B0023XF60Q
    Works great and leaves your skin smooth. You could also try olive oil, may almost be the same thing. I bought some at a local store but I can't remember which one at the moment, either grocery store or the local megamart. Pretty sure it was near the top shelf and hard to find.

At home, I started using Proraso Shaving Cream. It's from Italy and a small nickel size will lather beautifully with a badger brush and give you enough for two "coats." It's now my favorite shaving cream/soap.

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavin.../dp/B000RI8BZQ

On the road, I stick with Somerset's Shaving Oil Heavy Beard formula:

http://www.somersets.com/orderform.php

Order 10 GBP pounds worth of oil and they offer free shipping worldwide. I stock up as the stuff lasts forever.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

[QUOTE=Frank II;24576]At home, I started using Proraso Shaving Cream. It's from Italy and a small nickel size will lather beautifully with a badger brush and give you enough for two "coats." It's now my favorite shaving cream/soap.

http://www.amazon.com/Proraso-Shavin.../dp/B000RI8BZQ

I use Proraso too...love the stuff.

FYI, you can buy it from Bath & Body works stores too.

-gargoyle

I just got a bunch of shaving supplies today based on the testimonials in this thread. Going to try it out when I get home from work (I started trying to build up lather with a badger brush during lunch, I didn't get super far though...)

Using the Proraso Shaving Soap and a Merkur 180 safety razor.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0