Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Volunteer Moderator
    interestingly, i was able to make it to india (through the security checkpoints at IAD and FRA) with the blade in my double edge safety razor.

the folks running security at ATQ on my return saw it and asked me to dispose of it.

i was surprisingly pleased that i was able to shave while i was there (albeit i only shaved once during my week long trip). IAD security has asked me to either check my bag or toss the blade in the past.

and it wasn't a big deal that it got tossed on the return. if i had remembered, i would actually have tossed it before returning to make the process of going through security easier.

surprisingly, they didn't object to my nail clippers either way - which, mind you, have a pokey nail file that slides out.

my friend traveling with me was traveling with a neti pot and salt for preparing a saline solution (getting over a cold). IAD security was concerned about the salt and tested it to see if it was an explosive.

mjb
    I've stopped bringing my safety razor and anything else "borderline" (multi-tools, small knives, etc) for that matter. The rules are applied so inconsistently, and you'll never win an argument with a TSA screener anyway.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    You guys have inspired me! I have been using disposable razors (Wilkinson Sword Extreme 3 blade) for eight or ten years, but have been increasingly concerned by the profligacy of throwing them in landfill (they're not allowed in our recycling here). So yesterday, I was in the chemist collecting some drugs when I stopped to buy a block of my favourite shaving soap, and saw a Wilkinson Sword 'classic' razor with 5 blades for just 4.29. So I'll be giving it a go. Granted the cheap plastic, is pretty rubbish, but throwing it away and upgrading to a decent model, will be no worse than throwing away a disposable, and it lets my try it without investing a fortune. My wife is planning to check a bag on my next flight to Spain on Saturday, so I can take a supply of blades and leave them there so I'll only need to carry the empty razor each time. My remaining disposables can be used for other short trips where carrying blades could be problematic. The other benefit is cost. The razor with five blades (10 edges of course)cost about the same as a pack of eight disposables, but five more blades are only 99p! ($1.50)

mjb
    I switched to a safety razor because of the cost savings and nicer shave, but after bad experiences with Wilkinson and other European drug-store blades (after having to leave my blades at the TSA checkpoint), I now use disposable razors for travel and keep the safety razor at home.

That said, I shave maybe once every 4 or 5 days when I travel. (I work for rock and roll bands -- being too well-groomed is deemed suspicious activity.)

When you're ready to spend a little money, I highly recommend the Merkur razors. Most of my friends use the Futur, I have a Classic.

Blades for safety razors are dirt cheap, whether you're buying them in India or eBay.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Quote Originally Posted by mjb View Post
    I switched to a safety razor because of the cost savings and nicer shave, but after bad experiences with Wilkinson and other European drug-store blades (after having to leave my blades at the TSA checkpoint), I now use disposable razors for travel and keep the safety razor at home.

That said, I shave maybe once every 4 or 5 days when I travel. (I work for rock and roll bands -- being too well-groomed is deemed suspicious activity.)

When you're ready to spend a little money, I highly recommend the Merkur razors. Most of my friends use the Futur, I have a Classic.
    Very nice looking kit. Expensive, but would pay for itself very quickly. I could be heading that way shortly. I only shave a couple of times a week, when I have meetings to attend. The rest of the time I just grow a beard. Where I live, if I don't go out I see no one but the postman and he shaves even less often than I do! Do you like their blades too? Mixed reviews on their site.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mjb View Post
    +1 on the merkur razors. i've tried two, and like the 23C. used with the merkur blades, it provides a very gentle shave.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    +1 on the merkur razors. i've tried two, and like the 23C. used with the merkur blades, it provides a very gentle shave.
    With the Maverick seal of approval, its a done deal!

I'll be using my new safety razor for the first time in a few hours so we'll see whether I'll be a Merkur devote as well as my TB obsession shortly.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    With the Maverick seal of approval, its a done deal!

I'll be using my new safety razor for the first time in a few hours so we'll see whether I'll be a Merkur devote as well as my TB obsession shortly.
    fair warning - i went and purchased double edge safety razor blades at a drug store when i lost mine to a security check point at toronto's YYZ airport. it resulted in a very unpleasant experience. it's not the blade; it's not the razor. it's the right combination of blade and razor that makes for a good shave.

and different people like different combinations. what's right for me may not be right for you.

also, be gentle. you want to reduce the hair growth, not take it away. let the weight of the razor move it down your face - you don't need to apply force. i would suggest shaving twice, washing your face and applying shaving cream in between the two shaves.

here's my routine -

shower. this softens the beard growth.

wash my shaving scuttle in hot water. this heats an otherwise cold piece of pottery.

then fill the bottom and top of the scuttle with hot water.

then place my shaving brush in the hot water that is in the top part of the shaving scuttle.

while the brush is soaking, wet a wash cloth in hot water and place on your face. this opens up your pours and feels very relaxing.

empty the top part of the scuttle of water and shake off excess water from the brush (but don't leave the brush dry).

place your favorite shaving soap in the top part of your shaving scuttle and prepare it with your shaving brush. build up a nice lather. i use kiss my face fragrance free moisture shave.

apply a hot cloth to your face again or just wet your face before applying the cream you've prepared.

now use the brush to apply the lather to your face. you'll get a lot more lather on your face than was in the shaving scuttle.

give yourself a minute before you start to shave. this is all to prepare your skin.

shave with the growth of hair, not against it. use one side of the razor blade, then the other, then wash before repeating. don't shave a part of your skin that is dry or that you have shaved. remember the idea is to reduce the beard, not remove it.

once you finish, wash your face with warm water and lather it again with the brush.

shave again.

once you finish, wash out your brush and shaving scuttle. now wash your face with cooler water. this will close the pours.

some people use an after shave. i apply a face cream after drying my face.

happy shaving! let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by maverick; 03-04-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    -m

Wilco!

Thanks for that Mav. I've been a wet shaver for years, but I've just been wet my face, lather up, shave off, jump in the shower! I'll try to take more care/time and see how it goes!

Then, maybe I'll try oil pulling next?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Crip View Post
    Then, maybe I'll try oil pulling next?
    wow! i forgot that was still out there...

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    wow! i forgot that was still out there...
    Oh yes, its out there! Does it work?

Okay, I've decided to get a safety razor and go back to the real way of shaving. However, not one store in my are carries safety razors.

Any suggestions for a online store that has good prices and is reliable?

I have an old board brush but the bristles and going in all directions. And mug soap. Thinking of getting a good razor (possibly Merkur) and a good brush.

Thanks.

BTW, if you want to see some great videos on shaving, start here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59#p/u/0/xjhIy9rgWQU

And a good website is:

http://www.shaving101.com/
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

eBay is your friend when it comes to buying safety razors and blades, also checkout "West Coast Shaving" for supplies at http://www.westcoastshaving.com/
    Last edited by PM4HIRE; 03-05-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Well, I tried it and was very pleased with the results!

I followed Mav's directions as far as I could (I don't have a shaving scuttle) and got a very good close and comfortable shave. i did manage a small cut, but that was just because I went over a part healed nick from a previous shave. The main benefit was the lack of clogging with bristles. All disposable types I've used clog up too easily, then they drag, then they cut you up! None of this this morning. So now I'm in Spain and I went to try and buy a razor and blades here. I can get Gillette blades quite easily, but at a price 5.60 ($4.50) for five, compared to 99p ($1.50) at home. However, no razors, and I didn't bring mine. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled, as I now don't want to go bak to my disposables and I'm here for 12 days and need to shave.

Eric

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0