Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By backpack

Thread: Ultra light backpacks

Ultra light backpacks

hello folks:
    A while ago someone had posted some information on ultra light backpacks just for casual and city use. I can't remember the name of the company that was suggested on here. Any tips would be great.
    I remember it being something like Go Lite, but not sure.

shiva

I didn't see the other thread, but here's one. I just ordered it after hearing about it on 1bag1world.com.
    http://www.rei.com/product/799600
    Ultra-Sil daypack. It's 2.4 oz and packs down into a little bundle you can attach to your luggage or toss into a small pocket.
    The opinions expressed do, in fact, represent the opinions of the government--its Congress, Supreme Court, and President--as well as the United Nations and its representatives; because, let's face it, I have that kind of power at my disposal.

Another company that makes fold up bags, backpacks and messenger bags is Chicobags:

http://www.chicobags.com
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Bagallini also makes a compact lightweight backpack that folds up into one of its pockets. Amazon carries them.
    Bags: Crimson/Black Checkpoint Flyer, Indigo Brain Bag, Indigo Synapse, Punch/Wasabi Medium Cafe Bag and Plum Side Effect- along with various organizer pouches.

Quote Originally Posted by mboytim View Post
    Bagallini also makes a compact lightweight backpack that folds up into one of its pockets. Amazon carries them.
    I have the large shopping bag in the same fabric as the foldable bacpack.

I took the large shopping bag on a trip and could not fold it down to its pocket, the fabric is called crinkle nylon because it is really stiff.
    It is not really lightweight and the handles are really uncomfortable.

I still have the bag, it is used on big grocery shopping trips to avoid using plastic bags.

My Tom Bihn Backpack/Packing Cube for Aeronaut fit into my Brain Bag, keeps 2 dress jackets (properly folded) in good shape, and folds into its lower pocket to the size of a neck pillow which can fit in the back pocket of a Large Cafe Bag and inside a Swift.
    moriond likes this.

Ultra Light Backpack? Cinch Sack

For light travel and when I don't need a great deal of organization I use a Cinch Sack, like my kids involved with Soccer use. Folds flat in my Aeronaut for travel.

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    I remember it being something like Go Lite, but not sure.
    Was it the Golite Ion? They were essentially a single compartment backpack made of Dyneema that weighed 9oz. and came in three sizes. I really like mine.

I'm pretty sure they've been discontinued.

My experience with these ultra light bags are that they tear easily. The words ultra light and quality should never be used in the same sentence.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

Quote Originally Posted by PM4HIRE View Post
    My experience with these ultra light bags are that they tear easily. The words ultra light and quality should never be used in the same sentence.
    Wow, pretty broad statement. The Golite Ion has proved to be quite durable for me and rated 4.69 / 5 (13 reviews) on Backpackinglight.com.

Go-Lite Ion is a nice bag and the exception!!! I would not trust the other cheap china made bags for international travel, if you buy one of these cheap bags better take some duck tape with you which kinda defeats the concept of going lite.

When I was traveling, I viewed my purchases of TB as a very long term investment...and it paid off.
    Last edited by PM4HIRE; 08-03-2010 at 06:02 PM.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

I have seen these recommended elsewhere - have not tried one myself:

http://www.packbarefoot.com/
    --------------------------------

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0