Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Airports & iPad

Just saw this thread for the first time...

I flew LAX-SFO and they had no problem with my iPad. However, they finally asked me to open my backpack because they couldn't figure out what the wireless keyboard was from the x-ray image.

This is an interesting thread since I'm planning to travel to Europe later this year with my iPad. I also want to one-bag it, so I need the best way to carry my iPad and the wireless keyboard. I'm thinking of separate caches for each. Now I just have to decide on which bag...

[QUOTE=dougmon;33145]I flew LAX-SFO and they had no problem with my iPad. However, they finally asked me to open my backpack because they couldn't figure out what the wireless keyboard was from the x-ray image.[/QUOTE}

I just flew SFO-MCO and the TSA agent in Terminal 2 told me, "Is that an iPad? Next time you can just keep it in your bag." Call me paranoid; I usually take it out, anyway. I just put it in the same plastic bin as the shoes and toiletry kit.

Quote Originally Posted by dougmon View Post
    This is an interesting thread since I'm planning to travel to Europe later this year with my iPad. I also want to one-bag it, so I need the best way to carry my iPad and the wireless keyboard. I'm thinking of separate caches for each. Now I just have to decide on which bag...
    OK this is what *I* do and it may not be enough for you -- I have my iPad in a very slim case, and I actually slide it into the deepest of the front pockets on the Tri-Star or Western Flyer. It's a very snug fit, but it's right in the front and I always know where it is.

My wireless keyboard is a folding one that I can actually slip into the shorter front pocket, so the two basically stay together.

That said, if you plan on carrying a purse with your carryon, all the Cafe Bags will actually fit your iPad (yes, even the Small Cafe Bag). The SCB will make it a bit of a tight fit; MCB may give you a little more breathing room. You can even carry it in your Packing Cube Shoulder Bag. For example, even when I only travel with one bag, I usually bring out the PCSB and stash things in there that I want to use while in-flight. I'll tuck the Western Flyer in the overhead bin and just use the PCSB while I'm seated.
    Lani Teshima: A Dyneema diva with a closetful of Tom Bihn products!
    Publisher, The Travelite FAQ: Don't get saddled with baggage—free yourself & your mind by packing lightly!
    Editor, MousePlanet: Detailed park guides, daily news & stories from all over the Disney kingdom | Technical writer | Marathoner

I was asked to remove my iPad from my MCB at Marco Polo (VCE).

I've had to remove my iPad traveling through the UK - Glasgow, Edinburgh and Heathrow.
    In Japan at Nagoya Chubu & Tokoyo Narita I've had to do phone, iPad, harddrives, anything with a bunch of circuitry in it.

Plus side ... domestic travel in Japan you can bring on liquids of any size. Fair trade.
    Expat living in Japan
    iPad RistrettoAeronautSynapseLg Shop Bag • lots of little accessory pouches - straps - and other goodies!
    FlickrBlog
    Now ... what else do I "need" ...

JLE
    I was never asked to remove my iPad for screening on holiday in the US last year (SFO, JFK, LAX) and like others was occasionally told I did not need to remove it if I did happen to put it in the tray.

Outside the US it varies a lot.

In the past, I've always removed it. My most recent trip I left it in. At EWR, it was no problem, however, coming home from CPH, they handed me my bag back and asked if I'd mind removing my iPad and having my bag checked again. (amazing how much more pleasant the Danish security people are!)

In Brussels, I was asked to put the iPad through separately. But there was no line, very polite folks, I kept my shoes on and didn't get groped, so overall, pretty nice.

Never taken it out of the Super Ego in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Illinifan View Post
    IND - no
    ATL - no
    CLT - yes note: tsa agent seemed like she was having a bad day lol
    ATL - sometimes yes!
    My boss and I flew from ATL - MIA and back. She has the Motorola 10 inch tablet. In ATL, they asked her to remove her tablet, but didn't ask me to remove my Nook Color. When flying from MIA, she automatically started to put her tablet in its own bin and the agent told her she could leave it in her bag. It just depends on the agent you get. When I fly out of my smaller airport here in Augusta, they want you to take everything out sometimes and sometimes I don't even take my shoes off.

Earlier this month I flew to San Diego and left my iPad in my Aeronaut and had no problems. Omaha and San Diego were the two airports I cleared security.
    Steel/Ultraviolet Aeronaut, Steel/Solar TriStar, Black/Steel Checkpoint Flyer, Steel Packing Cube Backpack, Steel Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, Solar Travel Tray, Snake Charmer, Pouches, 3D Clear Organizer Cube, etc.

Rome airport (FCO) made us pull ALL electronics out and put them in a clear plastic bag.

Nana8, I haven't flown with my iPad2 yet. But I would say YES, the iPad is for you! ;-) I love mine - it does so much.

When I go thru any security checkpoints (airport or otherwise), I make it as easy on myself as I can and remove all my devices and set them in the bins. Phone, iPad, laptop, iPod Touch, whatever I'm carrying. And then I refuse to let myself be rushed when I'm putting myself back together on the other side.
    WhiteStar in Colorado
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LCB (Azalea/Sapphire, Turq/Wasabi), MCB (Plum/Cayenne), Swift (Cork), Co-Pilot (Iberian), Synapse (UV), Citizen Canine (Kiwi/UV), Shop Bag (UV), key straps and pouches galore!

I flew out of Seattle and Maui with my laptop and ipad. I took the laptop out but kept the ipad in the laptop sleeve of my backpack and in both occasions was not asked to remove it.

I have never been asked to remove my iPad from my bag. It is packed in a folio case and that is inside a form-fitting sleeve, with no keyboard or other accessories.

I live a little South of Edinburgh in Scotland's border hills
    Well here's a thing, I was asked to remove my iPad at Edinburgh Airport this morning... first time ever! I travel through there 2 dozen times a year, but that's the first time!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0