Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First Airline to Charge for Carry-On

It was inevitable but Spirit Airlines will soon start charging for carry-on bags. I wonder who will be next?

http://www.spiritair.com/Policiesbags.aspx#CarryOnBag
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

What's annoying is the size of acceptable "personal items"-- 16x14x12. That even rules out the Western Flyer and possibly the Checkpoint Flyer. I say possibly because I'm not sure what it's exact footprint is. Bummer...
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Anyone else notice that a carry on is more expensive than a checked bag?

I am shocked that they would now start charging for a carry on. What next? The air we breathe while in-flight? This is getting more than a bit ridiculous: it is as if airlines and consumers are in this major "war" of who can get away with what. If they had not started charging for checked bags (even one), folks would not be trying to get away with ridiculously oversized and heavy carry on bags that threaten to kill us all! There is now no reasoning with anyone it seems...

I wonder what they would do when folks travelled with large steamer trunks and hat boxes! Now, we can't even take a small carryon. I think they should start charging us for air; for the use of restrooms on flight; beverages; and we should also consider tipping flight attendants on our way out for excellent service. (hope folks get my sarcasm)

Last year, collectively, the airlines made $2 billion in revenue on bag fees.

Ryanair is considering charging to use the restroom.

Most airlines do charge for beverages.

Many charge if you want "preferred" seating such as emergency rows or aisle seats.

Some charge for pillows and blankets.

Almost all charge for food.

Carry-on fees were inevitable. I'm just worried what is next? Standing room only section?
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Volunteer Moderator
    Maybe this is why Buffet bought rail...

Volunteer Moderator
    i hope other airlines don't adopt this practice.

i much prefer the policy requiring roll aboards to be gate checked (and bags like the aeronaut, tri-star and western flyer being allowed onboard and stored in the overhead bins). i've seen a few airlines that operate regional jets adopt that policy.

consider this...

a 21" roll-aboard from company x has a capacity of approximately 2660 cubic inches. this roll-aboard weighs 11.4 lb.

the aeronaut from tom bihn has a capacity of 2700 cubic inches. it weighs only 2.71 lb.

spirit airways operates, among other jets, an airbus a319 that seats 144 passengers.

if every passenger packed the aforementioned roll-aboard, the luggage alone (without the contents) would weigh 1641.6 lb.

if instead, every passenger packed the aeronaut (with the same contents), the luggage would contribute only 390.24 lb.

choosing to pack in the roll-aboards increases the gross weight of the airplane by 1251.36 lb!

that extra weight results in added fuel costs, which ultimately are absorbed by the consumer in the form of increased ticket prices (or baggage fees) or a compromise in the service provided.

the problem isn't carry-on's. the problem is in the type of carry-on's.

if they want to charge a fee to displace the added fuel costs, a better criteria must be adopted to determine who should bear that burden. don't put the burden on those of us who choose lighter weight bags like the aeronaut. put it on those who are bringing more weight onboard.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    What's annoying is the size of acceptable "personal items"-- 16x14x12. That even rules out the Western Flyer and possibly the Checkpoint Flyer. I say possibly because I'm not sure what it's exact footprint is. Bummer...
    Well, I can kind of see that. Granted I don't have a lot of experience, just a recent trip from the east coast to west coast. But, it seemed like a lot of people's personal items were as large as their carry-on. My impression is that the personal item is supposed to be something that carry's all of the things you want close access to before, during and after the flight. The carry-on being small luggage that fits in the cabin overhead bins or under a seat if necessary. The Co-Pilot seems to fit the personal item size criteria perfectly. It's as if Tom Bihn knew this was coming!

What disturbs, but doesn't surprise me, is that Spirit airlines will be charging for both checked baggage and/or a carry-on item of luggage. On one hand I shake my head wondering if they expect us to travel with no luggage. On the other hand it just seems as if they're raising their fares, but dividing it all out so that you can see exactly what you're paying for.

The sort of sad thing is that it looks like their checked bag fee will be cheaper than their carryon fee (which the aeronaut totally fits into at least if you decide to pay the higher fee). It looks as though first they tried to discourage so much bag checking, then changed their minds and realized they weren't ready for all of the carry-ons.

Ultimately I agree with Maverick, that folks who are carrying a small, lightweight bag, should not be charged the same as the folks carrying large, bulky, heavy bags. If everyone had a small, light-weight, space-economizing bag, there'd be a lot fewer issues with getting everything on the plane.

Hopefully other airlines won't pick this up, at least not to this degree. I won't be surprised if they do though.

maverick, in terms of weight, does it make a difference to the plane whether the luggage is in the passenger compartment or the cargo hold?

As Tzporah pointed out, they are charging more for carry-on than checked. This is an incentive to check all bags—they want to reduce the time to load and unload the cabin. The time cost shifts to the passengers, who will have to wait in the terminal for their bags to show up.

Really annoying. If you show up with, say, a Brain Bag or even a Smart Alec, and they have a bag sizer, you may have to check it at the gate. $45!

This is a revenue raiser. It goes well beyond nickel-and-diming.

Maverick: yes, you make excellent points, but there are a few problems.
    1. Many can not carry anything at all on their shoulders: age, illness, disability of various kinds. So folks do need to use roll aboards.
    2. My frustration with us passengers has also been our lack of consideration. These past two months I did more travel than typical: I made six US domestic trips in feb/march during the snowstorms here. And in most of them, most passengers put their coats and laptop bags on the top bins although they were explicitly requested to put them under the seat in front of them. Many who board early (by paying extra) tended to hog the bin space with their luggage and other assorted items.

I actually asked my fellow passenger if they would mind taking off their winter coat so I could put my western flyer up there, and stow my smart alec in front of me. They actually refused; and the flight attendant said they could not do anything about it. Cos both my bags were not too full, I ended up placing both near my feet. It is this kind of lack of consideration and inability on the part of airlines to enforce "civility" (which should not have to be enforced in the first place) that causes a lot of problems too.

I know that in a few years time, I might not be able to carry things on my back and shoulders as I age; and while I agree that we all need to travel lighter, and with less crazy stuff, there has to be some reasonableness about all this....which is what I miss.

Thanks

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanedit View Post
    maverick, in terms of weight, does it make a difference to the plane whether the luggage is in the passenger compartment or the cargo hold?

As Tzporah pointed out, they are charging more for carry-on than checked. This is an incentive to check all bags—they want to reduce the time to load and unload the cabin. The time cost shifts to the passengers, who will have to wait in the terminal for their bags to show up.

Really annoying. If you show up with, say, a Brain Bag or even a Smart Alec, and they have a bag sizer, you may have to check it at the gate. $45!

This is a revenue raiser. It goes well beyond nickel-and-diming.
    hi gmanedit,

i don't understand it.

i don't know whether the distribution of the weight is a factor. i don't think that's what's driving their policy here.

there is a cost of coordination on the ground for checked bags (getting them from the plane to the baggage carrousel, running the carrousel, managing lost baggage claims, etc.) that you don't have with carry-on's. i don't know how this compares with the cost of the time to get people onboard with more carry-on luggage.

Volunteer Moderator
    hi shiva,

indeed, there are certainly situations where one must use a roll aboard rather than something carried on the shoulder or in the hand. but even if those who can carry their load were to opt for bags like the aeronaut, that would certainly help the situation.

as far as lack of common courtesy, it is a sad reflection of how self centered we are as a society. let us hope that by making an effort at an individual level, that our example can influence others and over time reverse this tendency.

tom, darcy,

what do you think about producing a light weight luggage cart add-on for bags like the aeronaut? perhaps we can leverage materials that are strong and light weight, like carbon fiber, titanium and aluminum?

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
    Maverick: yes, you make excellent points, but there are a few problems.
    1. Many can not carry anything at all on their shoulders: age, illness, disability of various kinds. So folks do need to use roll aboards.
    2. My frustration with us passengers has also been our lack of consideration. These past two months I did more travel than typical: I made six US domestic trips in feb/march during the snowstorms here. And in most of them, most passengers put their coats and laptop bags on the top bins although they were explicitly requested to put them under the seat in front of them. Many who board early (by paying extra) tended to hog the bin space with their luggage and other assorted items.

I actually asked my fellow passenger if they would mind taking off their winter coat so I could put my western flyer up there, and stow my smart alec in front of me. They actually refused; and the flight attendant said they could not do anything about it. Cos both my bags were not too full, I ended up placing both near my feet. It is this kind of lack of consideration and inability on the part of airlines to enforce "civility" (which should not have to be enforced in the first place) that causes a lot of problems too.

I know that in a few years time, I might not be able to carry things on my back and shoulders as I age; and while I agree that we all need to travel lighter, and with less crazy stuff, there has to be some reasonableness about all this....which is what I miss.

Thanks

Volunteer Moderator
    Pretty soon they are just going to charge per pound/kg of passenger+luggage...

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I like JetBlue's response to Spirit.

We're going to wait and see if other airlines adopt this policy or something similar - if that's the direction that things are moving, we'll adapt, and hopefully that will help you adapt. We appreciate all of the news/info/tips you all are posting!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I am all for carry-on size enforcement. I am also all for clearly stated carry-on policies. Give us hard numbers, please. I like the idea of sizing bins and I think it should be mandatory that all passengers place their carry-on in a sizing bin and that it be required to enter and exit fully without any squishing, stuffing, or prying. If someone didn't plan properly why should anyone else be inconvenienced? Poorly planned carry-ons shouldn't be allowed to pass the check point.

I purchased an Aeronaut (I got the compression straps by the way -yay! tnx TB!), in part to make my packing easy. My bag is the max size, how I arrange contents is my own device but I know with confidence that my luggage passes carry-on muster (barring the loading of lead bars. ;P) I make it a point to plan my travel, and hopefully plan it well. Why should I be stuck because someone wants to act like it's their private jet and we all should be grateful to be allowed access? The size is so much, over that it should be TSA enforced that the bag won't even be allowed to pass the security check. Let the inconsiderate or ill-prepared carry their own bag back to the ticket counter and check it. I bet that will only happen once and they will have gotten the message. Flights will be missed as a result, but the message will get out.

I am also for FAA mandated carry-on privileges. Passengers should have a lawful privilege to take a reasonable (measurements mandated by the aircraft type flown) carry-on during travel. I do like the idea of a personal item too, but that should also be mandated as to size. If your luggage doesn't cut it, buy new luggage or check it in. Flying is not a right. Like driving, it is a privilege.

As to rudeness, I have seen that in both passengers and in crew. People get testy: long waits, overcrowded bins, giant wheeled juggernauts being raised overhead by straining limbs, flailing about like some mindless rogue asteroid. I find the crew is usually nicest in the morning (but I have seen exceptions.) I suspect because they are well rested and fresh. They haven't been beat down yet.

I prefer to get to the airport early, and I like to be boarded early. Being the last to deplane doesn't bother me. No need to get to a luggage carousel. I generally have my connections planned out (with redundancies) so I can take my time but get where I am going in a timely manner.

I would like to see an airline club started called Sane Air that charters its own planes. To join, one must own proper carry-on luggage, pass a psychological, and take a course on travel etiquette. What a nice flight that would be! Their motto: 'Rude people suck. We don't.' :P
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0