Is one bag travel truly possible in today's airlines?

All airlines now prevent you from carrying even a small battle of water, let alone necessities such as perfumes, shaving foam, tooth paste, shaving razor, etc, in cabin baggage. Gone are the days when you didn't necessarily need to check-in anything and not worry about waiting to pick your luggage or have it lost!

Of course one bag travel is possible. Lots of people do it.

You can bring any liquids/gels/sprays in containers smaller than 3.4oz/100ml. Many products are even being manufactured that size. I use shaving oil or shaving sheets, a small tube of toothpaste or tooth powder, and disposable razors which are allowed.

http://www.minimus.biz specializes in selling products sized for carry on.

You can bring water on board as long as it is bought AFTER security.

I haven't checked a bag in years and don't plan to in the near future.

Except for traveling between the Canada and the U.S., you shouldn't have a problem carrying on non-wheeled luggage. A friend of mine traveled into the U.S. a few days ago with his, ahem, Air Boss. He packed it heavily and the airline forced him to check it both from Canada and on his connecting flight in Seattle. But then the Air Boss is known to bulge if packed with too much stuff.

No problem with the Tri-Star.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by fbrown627 View Post
    A friend of mine traveled into the U.S. a few days ago with his, ahem, Air Boss. He packed it heavily and the airline forced him to check it both from Canada and on his connecting flight in Seattle. But then the Air Boss is known to bulge if packed with too much stuff.

No problem with the Tri-Star.
    I think the Aeronaut may be prone to it as well, according to the warning on the website. But then again, what's traveling light if you are still going to over stuff your bag?!!

If ever the Aeronaut (or similar 40l+ capacity bag) comes with a inbuilt laptop storage, I will be the first to buy one. Right now, I am just waiting for the new products to launch and then make a purchase decision.

The Aeronaut is not prone to bulging. The Air Boss is. And with an inbuilt laptop storage compartment, you're just adding weight to the bag.

The key, in my mind, is learning how to pack. I've been traveling for years and it seems that the stuff I take is less and less, and I find lighter or smaller versions of the things I need to take.

While I'm totally unorganized in my real life, when it comes to travel, I'm very organized.

One other thing, my friend who came to the U.S. from Canada, wore his Tilley vest on the plane. He loaded it with everything he wanted for the flight and didn't want to check: cellphone, ipod, Palm, camera equipment, medicine, and a few other things that would normally go in his carry on. He said it went through security without a second look.

So, while no luggage is allowed to be carried on, there are no rules about taking your stuff "on you." Hello Scottevest? Or is Tom thinking of making a carry bag that converts into a coat? Or vice-versa.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Quote Originally Posted by bagman View Post
    All airlines now prevent you from carrying even a small battle of water...
    Wait a minute... are you no longer allowed to buy water after the security gate and then take that on board?

I haven't flown lately, but that would be a downer as I frequently sip water on a plane to keep from coughing due to the dry air.

And yes, after using my Aeronaut and packing it on return trips with too much junk or free samples from conferences, I agree it does not looked overstuffed or bulging. Mind you, it is heavy.... think of it as resistance training.

Technically, you are allowed to buy water after security to bring on a plane. At least in the U.S. (I suggest you keep your receipt even though you shouldn't have been able to bring it through security so where else would you get it.) The other alternative is to bring your own empty bottle and fill it up at a water fountain.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0