Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks RedBeard,
    We had considered this, however, the price is too much.
    Not sure what you mean by "dress for tea". I assume that eliminates our tourist wear of jeans.
    Been there. Done that. Can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    Thanks Darcy,

We are planning to visit around the end of June and first week of July. Shouldn't be too much rain.

Next important question, what type of raincoat do you use? My wife and I have seen some in catalogs. Should it be as long as a trench coat?

Should we wait until we arrive to shop around?

We do have waterproof windbreakers. Don't know if that is enough.
    You should be fine with your windbreakers and chances are strong that you will never need them!
    Happy owner of a medium cocoa Cafe, small plum Cafe, plum/green Utility Tote, black/purple Lux, mini cork pouch, mini kiwi pouch, mini clear pouch, small blue pouch, assorted key straps, prototype Stuff Sacks, and navy/storm/sapphire Imago!

Exclamation We can't wait!

One more week and we start our trip to Seattle and the Olympic coast - the 16th.

We are looking forward to some cooler weather.

For carry-ons, I'll be using my new Aeronaut and my wife will have her new 21" wheeled bag. She needs to use a wheeled carry-on. I have a strap that I will use to attach the Aeronaut to the extended handle.

I'll be using the Ruc-Sac and Large Cafe bag for camera and other things while touring.

I'm also taking my Swift to use when we visit Pike's Market. The Swift is my utility tote.

On the 17th, we will take a city tour by mini-bus. We wanted to get a quick overview and note any areas to go back to.

In my wife's research for the trip, we will avoid the Pioneer Square area due to drug trafficking and aggressive panhandlers.

We had hoped to visit Mount Ranier, but it appears to be snowed in.

Cool Sunny days are looking good

10 Day forecast is looking real good!!!!

Woohoo!!
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Quote Originally Posted by BPritchard View Post
    One more week and we start our trip to Seattle and the Olympic coast - the 16th.

In my wife's research for the trip, we will avoid the Pioneer Square area due to drug trafficking and aggressive panhandlers.

We had hoped to visit Mount Ranier, but it appears to be snowed in.
    Pioneer Square is safe during the daytime - if you wanted to see the Klondike Museum or the Underground Tour, I'd do it. Alas, Pioneer Square isn't the only place with drugs. There are places I don't go in Seattle, and I live here. But that's usually at night. Daytime, in a pair, if you're in places the tour books mention you should be okay. There's a new statute re aggressive panhandlers that's helping.

Mt. Rainier is open year-round; I've been there for the 4th of July and seen snow on the ground at Paradise some years. Did you go to the Park Service site at http://www.nps.gov/mora/ or somewhere else? The picnic sites are closed until June 25th, but you can get into the visitor centers. There is more than one entrance, and they don't open the same time every year. If you have limited time the best and only choice is the main entrance to Paradise.

Use the Plan Your Trip/Operating Hours page for the latest info, and click on the page's Road Status link to see the road conditions to Paradise. If you want to go to the Longmire Museum and the new Visitor's Center at Paradise, you need to check two things: Nisqually Entrance to Longmire, then Longmire to Paradise. The Park Service gives directions and travel tips on the Directions page. Print them out before you go.

If you are driving a car with a small gas tank, be very sure to gas up before you get all the way to the park! Gas in that area is expensive. I would pack snacks + water, too. The Park Service may have both, but you'll pay for the privilege (unless you want to consider eating in one of the restaurants as a part of the trip). You can always eat in the car, since the picnic tables will be off-limits.

If you've ever been to Switzerland, you will remember the alpine views once you pull in and park at Paradise! But Tahoma (the tribal name for the mountain) is too beautiful to miss if you have the time. Please don't.
    Last edited by aiethabell; 06-11-2010 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Added gas info
    Indigo Co-Pilot w' Cache, Sapphire/Olive Medium Cafe bag, Sapphire/Black and Indigo Ballistic Swifts, 50+ assorted Stuff Sacks/Pouches/Key Straps, 4 Shop Bags. 2 Absolutes, 2 Strap Wraps, a #5 Brain Cell, 3 Clear Quarter Packing Cubes , 3 Aeronaut cubes, a 3D, a Kit, a Convertible Shoulder Bag and Convertible Backpack for my Indigo/Solar Aeronaut. Last, 3 Lifefactory Bottles and my Plum Field Journal! Plus a blue (natch) FOT. All bags decked out with Tom Bihn luggage tags .

aiethabell,

Thanks for the information. The webcam's however show snow, not a meadow.
    But it is early in the season and this year's winter was harsh.

We had the same problem when we toured Oregon and went to Mt Hood.

Tomorrow is the big day!! Are you coming to the showroom opening? .
    http://www.tombihn.com
    1-800-729-9607 (US & Canada) 360-452-0115 (other countries)
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Thumbs up Great time in Seattle!!!!

Back in the Florida blast furnace.

We had incredible weather since we arrived on the 16TH. We knew that
    Seattle and the surrounding area could be cloudy and raining, but we only had two days that were rainy:
    The next day where we went on a tour.
    A day to Redmond, Snoqualmie Falls and some wineries.

Most of the time it would be cloudy in the morning, followed by a nice sunny or partly cloudy day.
    Anytime it rained, it was mainly a drizzle for a while, then stopped.

Didn't get a chance to get the Saturday store opening. We were in Bainbridge Island.

Our stay at the Red Lion at Pike and 5TH was real convenient to Pike's Market, Waterfront, Music experience, ScFi museum, and other areas.
    Our best meals were at Assiago's, Etta's, and Palimino. We also ate at the Crab Pot on the waterfront. We got the pot of crabs,clams,mussels, etc that was dumped on the the table. The pot was put on the floor to throw shells into.

We really enjoyed our cottage at Penn Cove in Coupeville on Whidbey Island (http://www.whidbey.com/penncovecottage/)
    From this locale we visited San Juan Island where we rented a car on the island rather than take our rental car over. Was easier as a passenger on the ferry. Cost was about the same as 1 passenger and 1 car.

The Olympic Lodge in Port Angeles was very good. From this location we toured the Olympic National Park.
    Went to Hoh Rain forest, Forks, and to second beach on the coast at La Push.
    One day was spent in Victoria, BC via the Victoria Express. There was pickup and return to the lodge.

The worst part of the trip was our Delta flight into LAX and transfer to Alaska Airlines. We had to hump our bags down stairs to the tarmac, get on a mini-bus to travel to the Alaska airline terminal. Then hump our bags up two more flights of stairs. If you are disabled you are SOL.
    This was a major security risk. Anyone could easily slip on the bus with a weapon or explosives.

I had a problem carrying the Aeronaut. Even using the absolute strap or backpack straps, the bag was too heavy.
    I ended up carrying it on my wife's wheeled bag which was uncomfortable to handle.
    Next time I will take my little cart. I've used it before and it folds down to fit underneath the plane seat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0