Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Just,

They do like upselling and I find that annoying. (I've just been to an optometrist for new glasses and had some difficulty actually getting the $59 basic glasses rather than the "second pair free" super thin, all bells and whistles for $700+. Most annoying! I just wanted cheap reading glasses to see if I would actually use reading glasses.)

I find the Seanik conditioning enough for me and haven't bothered to purchase any conditioner.

The "un-oiliness" as you call it is a remarkable effect. I eventually decided that it was more that there's no residue in my hair to attract and hold dirt.

And yes, a little tiny round bar in a matching round tin is exciting, compared to two huge bottles of shampoo and conditioner. My first bar has lasted me 6 months so far and has travelled around the world with me for 3 months.

Audrey

Super Moderator
    Audrey:

re: "(I've just been to an optometrist for new glasses and had some difficulty actually getting the $59 basic glasses rather than the "second pair free" super thin, all bells and whistles for $700+. Most annoying! I just wanted cheap reading glasses to see if I would actually use reading glasses.)" -- Check out zennioptical.com

I get compliments (not all of which are sarcastic!) about my glasses (http://zennioptical.com/cart/product...e=1#largeimage) all the time, and I have a bad habit of blurting out "20 bucks online!"

True story: to get my prescription, I went to one of those "two pairs for $89!" type places; it ended up costing me more for the usual reasons (the come-on price is only for glasses made out of sandpaper and arsenic), but I thought "eh, at least now I'll have an extra two pairs of glasses, one of which I'll get tinted for shooting / driving / etc." The truth? The ones from the store not only are flimsy (nose bridge broke quickly), but despite being based on the same prescription (done at that store!), are clearly optically inferior to the ones from Zenni which cost around 1/5 of their price. Not sure whether it's the fault of machinery, humans, or what.

Zenni has *very* mixed reviews -- which doesn't surprise me, it's an online business with high volume, selling a product that people may take as part of their identity, at very low prices -- but my own sole experience with them was spot-on. Service was friendly and quick (and when I called to ask a question, I felt treated well and politely, which is rare for any business at all, sadly).

Sadly, they do not pay me to make such plugs, but I like to tout what I like

timothy

I LOVE Lush shampoo bars! Not only the shampoo is of great quality but it'll last at least a couple of months taking very little room in a suitcase. It's a no-brainer...
    In our household: Black/Steel Aeronaut (with 2 large packing cubes and Absolute shoulder strap), Forest/Steel Aeronaut (1 large and 2 small packing cubes), Olive/Wasabi medium Cafe Bag, Linen/Olive Medium Cafe Bag, Cocoa/Cocoa/Wasabi Imago, Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Hemp Little Swift, Solar Shop Bag, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Black/Steel/Solar Smart Alec, Horizontal and Vertical Freudian Slips, TB Wallet, Hemp Little Swift, FOT pouch, Black/Olive ID

Super Moderator
    Heh, the new clear toiletries case sure looks like an improvement on the hated-by-me plastic baggie. I'm semi-clairvoyant! A medium-medium!

Super Moderator
    Just learned from unclutterer.com that Muji now has an online presence for mail-order -- cool! They have lots of neat stuff.

http://www.muji.us/store/

Another vote here for lush solid shampoo/conditioner. And one is enough for several months.

The little tins are useful but unless the bar is completely dry before you put them back in, it'll stick to the bottom and be almost impossible to pry out without damage.

What I found to fix that is a strip about 2" wide and 6" long, perhaps less, of flexible but strong plastic. You could cut up a ziploc bag, but I used the outer wrapper of a packet of biscuits which is all I had on hand. Place that underneath the bar with the ends hanging out and you can lift it out easily. To close the lid, just fold the tabs under the (slightly curved) lid. Presto!

When using the shampoo while travelling, I use the lid of the tin as a soap dish, and when packing away I make sure it's packed upside down. That way if it sticks it's stuck to the lid and can still be used. In fact, my local Lush shop recommended leaving it stuck to the lid and just using it that way.

Audrey

I have not used the Lush bars, but I can recommend Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Bar soap for all travel needs. I have used it for soap, shampoo, shaving, and hand laundry. Since it's a castile soap it even works as a toothpaste, although the taste is not something I recommend. Still, if you are looking for an all-in-one, TSA friendly solution it's worth a try.

Super Moderator
    RedBeard: I buy Dr. Bronners for most purposes. For shaving, though, I decided that for me (sensitive skin) it's better than nothing, but far inferior to a tiny tube of shave oil. And the toothpaste function ... well, even with the peppermint variety, I was spitting out soap flavor for quite a while after

Hmm, for shave oil, for any trip of a week or perhaps even two, I'd like to find the tiny sample bottles that I once had with some cologne in it. Or maybe one of those *per* week, up until one month, at which point, I'd take the whole (still small) bottle. Perhaps I'll visit a perfume store at a mall to seek some of those containers ...

timothy

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    RedBeard: I buy Dr. Bronners for most purposes. For shaving, though, I decided that for me (sensitive skin) it's better than nothing, but far inferior to a tiny tube of shave oil. And the toothpaste function ... well, even with the peppermint variety, I was spitting out soap flavor for quite a while after

Hmm, for shave oil, for any trip of a week or perhaps even two, I'd like to find the tiny sample bottles that I once had with some cologne in it. Or maybe one of those *per* week, up until one month, at which point, I'd take the whole (still small) bottle. Perhaps I'll visit a perfume store at a mall to seek some of those containers ...

timothy
    Maybe this will work...
    Sephora, the cosmetics store, is always giving samples of their products. For a recent hospital stay, I visited my local store and asked them for some sample bottles. They were more than accomodating and the size of the bottles is generous enough to hold at least 3 days of product with a bit left over - maybe another day's worth.

Otherwise, our local Container Store
    http://www.containerstore.com/

has many flat containers to choose from as well as round, oval, etc. If you can't find anything in the travel section, go to the kitchen section! I have solved many a container issue by going to a different department. In person is best but have included the link for you to get an idea.

Hope this helps.
    Nana8
    Ego in Black, Steel, Wasabi, Empire Builder in Black, Black, Sapphire (Husband), 2 Brain Cells (Black), 2 Medium Cafe Bags - 1 in Black, Wasabi & 1 in Navy, Cayenne, 2 Large Cafe bags w/Absolute Straps - 1 in Linen, Olive and 1 in Cocoa, Wasabi, Guardian Dual Function Light & Lots of pouches!

Super Moderator
    Hey! I didn't realize there was a Container Store in Bellevue -- dangerous knowledge. When I've lived near other locations, I've found myself in there far too often, just wandering ... addictive ideas in there.

timothy

In person it is always better, she said, plotting to get to Tom Bihn store and all sorts of other cool stores in Seattle.
    Last edited by backpack; 05-07-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Super Moderator
    I have never been in a Sephora store, but I think there's one right near the Lush store in / near downtown Seattle, so I might force myself into those two "aromatic" places in the same day, for travel shampoo and sample bottles.

timothy

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I have never been in a Sephora store, but I think there's one right near the Lush store in / near downtown Seattle, so I might force myself into those two "aromatic" places in the same day, for travel shampoo and sample bottles.
    Hmm, not sure if I can picture you in a Sephora store, timothy. I think you should photograph and live-blog the experience.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Hmm, not sure if I can picture you in a Sephora store, timothy. I think you should photograph and live-blog the experience.
    I wholeheartedly agree.

Also, backpack, you and I are in the same boat. Planning a trip to the TB Mecca later this year, hopefully.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0