Volunteer Moderator

with clear quarter packing cube holding liquids going through security at IAD

as usual, my clear quarter packing cube held the liquids i brought onboard.

going through security at IAD (dulles international airport), the clear quarter packing cube got a second look by a security officer as it came through the x-ray machine. he picked it up, looked at it, showed it to another security officer questioning (i imagine) whether this is an acceptable method for sending liquids through the security screening, then sent it along. he didn't say anything to me, and i felt it best not to ask any questions.

this is the first time the bag has attracted attention this way. i always use it to bring my toiletries (which includes liquids) onboard.

Super Moderator
    Really, anything they can see through and wave their divining rods over ("good liquid ... good liquid ... good liquid ... evil liquid ... good liquid") should be enough. But that's in a sensible, courteous world, rather than the world of the TSA, which is often neither.

On casual observation, it seems the TSA doesn't get so bent out of shape if it isn't a regulation 1-qt Ziploc bag; I suppose as long as it's clear, and run through by itself (and the amounts are legit), you are passable. But I still use Ziplocs since I'm afraid of meeting the one "Barney Fife" who'll decide to make an example out of me.

Same here.
    I don't like disposable stuff, but ziplocks is all I use, the cheap store brands.

To make matter worse plastic bottle manufacturers do not list the size of their bottles, I like to use my own brand of things.

I though of buying the (expensive) mini version of a brand name product and refilling it all the time with my products, but some are really tiny.

I bought small empty bottles from the local pharmacy that had no size on them. I knew they were less than 100ml, so that was ok. Took them home, worked out that their capacity was about 75ml, and made up some pretend labels for each of the products I needed to take (with my own fake brand name and logo etc) and their capacity clearly labelled on each. Doesn't hurt that I'm a graphic designer so can make them look pretty respectable.

You can use plain coloured paper as I did, and put clear packaging tape over the top to stick them on, or use Avery type adhesive labels that are suitable for getting wet.

No-one questioned my bottles, and over the course of our trip, we went through many checks.

Travelwkid
    http://www.enjoyingtravelwithkids.blogspot.com