Dan Pink's travel tips

Dan Pink, author of A Whole New Mind, Free Agent Nation, and (most recently) The Adventures of Johnny Bunko (the first ever career guide in manga), has some excellent, 2-minute video travel tips on his website, including how to avoid catching colds on airplanes.

The avoid catching cold tip is a good one, I'd also do
    that when visiting friends in the hospital. I'm very
    familier with Pink's work.
    Tom Welch > Mesa, Arizona, USA
    Author of 101 Financial Ratios 5.0
    Travel Lite & Smart

The avoid-catching-a-cold thing won't work against colds, since they are caused by viruses not bacteria. Unfortunately, antibiotic ointment only works against bacteria. It might work against bacterially caused sinus infections, though.

Hand washing and sanitizing at the airport is important, though. Think of all those surfaces your hands come into contact with there. And he's dead right about tray tables. I swipe mine with a bit of paper towel loaded with my hand sanitizer, but I may look out for those disposable antiseptic wipes he uses.
    Last edited by flitcraft; 03-18-2009 at 11:30 PM.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flitcraft View Post
    The avoid-catching-a-cold thing won't work against colds, since they are caused by viruses not bacteria. Unfortunately, antibiotic ointment only works against bacteria. It might work against bacterially caused sinus infections, though.

Hand washing and sanitizing at the airport is important, though. Think of all those surfaces your hands come into contact with there. And he's dead right about tray tables. I swipe mine with a bit of paper towel loaded with my hand sanitizer, but I may look out for those disposable antiseptic wipes he uses.
    actually it is entirely possible that the viral protection comes not from the antibiotic but the goo its in. when you are on a plane with dry conditioned recirculated air there is a ton of viruses and no moisture. So your secretions which help prevent viruses from entering epithelial cells might be replaced by the goo. I assume the goo is petroleum jelly. It would be an interesting study. a third of the plane no protection, a third bacitracin goo, a third goo.

Thumbs up Pink Link

The Pink Link is useful, and entertaining. Thanks for posting it LexM. I am new to Pink's site. I've enjoyed it.
    Bags: Super Ego (Black/indigo w/cork seatbelt); Aeronaut (Crimson/Steel); 2 Medium Cafe Bags (Navy/Cayenne, Linen/Olive), w/an Ultrasuede Shoulder Strap Wrap; Large Cafe Bag (Cocoa/Wasabi) w/Absolute Strap; Imago (sadly lost to hazmat); a Brain Cell w/ another Strap Wrap; and a Shop Bag (Steel). Accessories: Bunches and bunches.
    Wanted: Zephyr or Empire Builder.
    " ...all [that] you have to depend on is yourself and your luggage." - The Luggage Salesman (Joe Versus the Volcano)