Vexxed: EB, ID, or Zephyr?

Good Morning, all -

Male, early 30s, seeking quality bag for work and grad school. Current occupation is high school assistant principal enrolled in doctoral program at CSU. Often seen carrying a 15.4" MacBook Pro, but almost always carrying a bomber jacket leather Circa notebook at the bare minimum.

Seeking to look professional, yet not stuffy. Bag must be equally at home among high school students, in a college classroom, and at a meeting with the superintendent.

The age old dilemma, I know. I somehow ended up here searching for the perfect satchel for my brand new MacBook Pro. I like the look and function of the Empire Builder, but I generally don't carry a lot of files with me. Like I said, at most it's my MBP and my Circa notebook (letter-sized). Starting grad school (again) I'm sure I'll have a textbook or two from time to time.

I'm currently carrying a High Sierra backpack with a sleeve for my computer, but it just doesn't feel right when you walk into the superintendent's office. I've done the messenger bag thing once before (an eBags bag), but was never really happy with the way it felt with the laptop in it.

I started out being intrigued with the EB, then the Zephyr because it's a little more compact. Of course, I'm 6'4" so I don't want to look like I'm carrying a purse, either. But then I read some great reviews of the ID and started to wonder if I should consider trying a messenger-style bag again.

As you can see, I'm incredibly confused by all of the offerings and at this price point I really don't want to be wishing I'd bought something else in 2 or 3 months.

I had the same dilemma a few months ago. I went with the Empire Builder, Absolute Strap, and Brain Cell, and I'm glad I did. It's simply the perfect bag. The Brain Cell clips in and makes it really easy to pull the laptop in and out of the bag. The bag is large enough to hold almost anything else I would want to put in it, yet it doesn't look too big. At 6'4, I think you'd love the EB. The bag is perfectly designed. I can't think of anything I would change about it.

That's what my gut keeps telling me since that's what originally drew me into the Tom Bihn site. I just don't want to rule out anything else that I would also like.

Ken
    An item to keep in mind is overall size. Yes the Zephyr is smaller than the EB and about the same size as the ID. But, both the Zephyr and EB are somewhat boxy in thier design, and that is by design since they are "briefcases". The ID has a bit less depth, but it will conform to your body if it is not filled up - very comfortable if you are on foot or public transit a lot. If this, or the two lined pockets on the outside of the ID, are not important, consider the Zephyr. The EB is nice, but it is quite a big bag. Great if you need it, but a lot of bag to carry if you do not.

Good luck!

--Ken

We love our EB's here at Marquee Wrestling Home Video. Usually we carry them pretty fully loaded - and they are a delight. On rare occasions, I do carry one to my other job (morning news guy at WGHN radio). Then I usually only carry a PB (usually the 15"), a notepad, 5 or 6 loose pages of news, and a couple of CDs. The EB is even better then! It seems feather light, and has so much room that everything is EASY access!

I can't imagine a better bag than an EB with a Brain Cell and an Absolute Strap. Highly recommended.
    Jim Hall
    Check out the dogs in need at http://www.saveoursetters.org
    Check out my blog at http://jehingr.wordpress.com/
    Check out our videos at www.marqueewrestling.com
    My TB bags: 2 - Empire Builder 1 - Checkpoint Flyer

Thanks for the feedback so far! I know if the price were a little less I'd have been all over this already. I'm not complaining - I do believe that you get what you pay for - but it will be a substantial purchase...

For some reason I keep leaning toward the ID because I don't know if I'm ready for a "briefcase" yet. The messenger style would suit me well at the high school where I work, at the college where I'm in grad school, and seems like it would fit in well at the School Board office...

But this will probably change tomorrow...

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0