Question A few strappy questions

So I just got my Aeronaut. I didn't order it with a strap since I already have an Absolute Shoulder Strap which I ordered together with my Brain Cell back in July 2006. I don't have the strap with me right now, but I'm assuming I can use it for the Aeronaut since it also has D-rings.

Now, my Super Ego was purchased on November 2006. It came with the 2" wide standard shoulder strap. If I want to use my Super Ego with the new Q-AM strap which is 1.5" wide, what else do I need? (Or do I need to buy another Tom Bihn bag to use it with? My wallet might disagree)

It must have been mentioned somewhere in the forums before but what was the reason you moved from 2" to 1.5" wide straps for the new Super Ego?

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djca View Post
    So I just got my Aeronaut. I didn't order it with a strap since I already have an Absolute Shoulder Strap which I ordered together with my Brain Cell back in July 2006. I don't have the strap with me right now, but I'm assuming I can use it for the Aeronaut since it also has D-rings.
    Yes, you can use your Absolute Shoulder Strap on the Aeronaut.

Now, my Super Ego was purchased on November 2006. It came with the 2" wide standard shoulder strap. If I want to use my Super Ego with the new Q-AM strap which is 1.5" wide, what else do I need? (Or do I need to buy another Tom Bihn bag to use it with? My wallet might disagree)
    Unfortunately, we haven't come up with an adapter that would allow you to use a Q-AM strap on a bag with #2 webbing. You can order an adapter that will allow you to use your Absolute Strap on your Super Ego, though.[/QUOTE]

It must have been mentioned somewhere in the forums before but what was the reason you moved from 2" to 1.5" wide straps for the new Super Ego?
    With a 1-1/2" toothed shoulder strap slide, one can choose between using the Standard, Absolute, or Q-AM shoulder straps, because all of those straps use 1-1/2" webbing.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thumbs up

I finally got to try the 1.5" Q-AM strap with my Super Ego that has a 2" slide earlier today. The strap doesn't seem to be in great danger of easily sliding out of the toothed slide.

I finally got to try the 1.5" Q-AM strap with my Super Ego that has a 2" slide earlier today. The strap doesn't seem to be in great danger of easily sliding out of the toothed slide.
    It does seem like it would be really difficult for the 1.5" strap to slip out of the 2" buckle because the 2" buckle has super grippy teeth: but we still won't recommend using a 1.5" strap with a 2" buckle bag because it's just not as perfect as we would like it to be.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    It does seem like it would be really difficult for the 1.5" strap to slip out of the 2" buckle because the 2" buckle has super grippy teeth: but we still won't recommend using a 1.5" strap with a 2" buckle bag because it's just not as perfect as we would like it to be.
    Well, there are 2 options to make it perfect:

1.) 2" buckle to 1.5" buckle adapter
    2.) Made-to-order 2" Q-AM straps for us with older Super Egos

Which is more likely to happen?

Which is more likely to happen?
    Sadly, neither. There's no elegant adapter solution for 2" bags, and we can't make a 2" webbing Q-AM strap because the Q-AM parts wouldn't work with a 2" webbing.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Sadly, neither. There's no elegant adapter solution for 2" bags, and we can't make a 2" webbing Q-AM strap because the Q-AM parts wouldn't work with a 2" webbing.
    I guess a kludgy solution would be to stitch a short strip of 2" strap on each end. But how to make so it does not look kludgy? Well that would be Tom's problem.

OK, I've just thought of another possible solution --- less kludgy this time.

Since both the Absolute Shoulder Strap and the Q-AM strap are 1-1/2" wide, and there is an available 2"-slide-to-D-ring adapter that can be used to attach the 1-1/2" Absolute Shoulder Strap to the Super Ego... then the same "removable metal hardware" that comes with the Absolute Shoulder Strap can be used with the Q-AM strap, so it can then be used with the webbing-to-d-ring adapter that would be attached to the Super Ego.

What do you think?

CEO
    Upper left hand corner of the U.S. map (lower 48 states)
    Still seems pretty kludgy to me, but yes it should work.

Darcy, how much does the 2"-webbing-to-D-ring adapter for the Super Ego cost? What about the metal hardware that comes with the Absolute Shoulder Strap?

Darcy, how much does the 2"-webbing-to-D-ring adapter for the Super Ego cost? What about the metal hardware that comes with the Absolute Shoulder Strap?
    PM me your address and we'll send you the parts: you can tell us how kludgy it really is!

OK, I've just thought of another possible solution --- less kludgy this time.

Since both the Absolute Shoulder Strap and the Q-AM strap are 1-1/2" wide, and there is an available 2"-slide-to-D-ring adapter that can be used to attach the 1-1/2" Absolute Shoulder Strap to the Super Ego... then the same "removable metal hardware" that comes with the Absolute Shoulder Strap can be used with the Q-AM strap, so it can then be used with the webbing-to-d-ring adapter that would be attached to the Super Ego.

What do you think?
    OK, so now I'm confused. There's a 2"-slide-to-D-ring adaptor? Is that separately available - the Absolute strap fits my Super Ego after a fashion if I double-back the strap through the buckles, but if there's a better solution I'd go for it.

And just *how* does the Absolute strap work - some kind of anti-gravity device sewn into the pad? It really does make a fully-loaded Super Ego seem half the weight....

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by timd View Post
    And just *how* does the Absolute strap work - some kind of anti-gravity device sewn into the pad? It really does make a fully-loaded Super Ego seem half the weight....
    Great, isn't it? I think it's the way the pad manages to distribute the load so that the forces don't all come at one point against your shoulder.

OK, so now I'm confused. There's a 2"-slide-to-D-ring adaptor? Is that separately available - the Absolute strap fits my Super Ego after a fashion if I double-back the strap through the buckles, but if there's a better solution I'd go for it.
    I ordered one of these for my (classic style) ID bag. See this thread for a picture and description of how it works. You take off the old strap and attach the D-ring adapter. Then you can clip the regular absolute strap to the D ring. Costs $5 for the pair of D-ring adapters, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Great, isn't it? I think it's the way the pad manages to distribute the load so that the forces don't all come at one point against your shoulder.

I ordered one of these for my (classic style) ID bag. See this thread for a picture and description of how it works. You take off the old strap and attach the D-ring adapter. Then you can clip the regular absolute strap to the D ring. Costs $5 for the pair of D-ring adapters, I think.
    Ah, dammit - if I'd known about these a week ago I'd have ordered them with the strap. Are they available online (I'm in the UK, so have to order off the site)...?

Ah, dammit - if I'd known about these a week ago I'd have ordered them with the strap. Are they available online (I'm in the UK, so have to order off the site)...?
    You can't order them through the site, but you can call us to order one. We can ship it to you via Air Mail for less than $5.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0