Another Utility Tote vs. Lux question

I would like to purchase the Utility Tote for its larger capacity but have been wondering whether the straps are not too short for shoulder carrying. On the Lux pictures,the straps are visibly "the right length to ride comfortably on the shoulder", but it is hard to tell from the Utility Tote pictures whether the straps are long enough for that purpose.

I'd appreciate very much some help on this.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    You can use the Utility Tote for shoulder carrying: that's mostly how I carry mine, and I find it to be quite comfortable.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Thanks, Darcy, for your rapid answer. That clinches it for the Utility Tote!

Volunteer Moderator
    Hi rivol,

The handle design on the Utility tote and the Lux bag is similar, and as Darcy says, you can carry the Utility tote that way on your shoulder. Just a couple of comments (now that I've tried both): the Lux is my bag of choice, for the fact that it stands up by itself; I also find the line of forces on the handles even more comfortably distributed than for the Utility tote when the bag is loaded. On the other hand, the Utility tote does have a larger capacity. Darcy, when I called in about mini pouches Amy mentioned that there might be a re-design of the Lux coming along. Any word on a time table for that?

moriond

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Darcy, when I called in about mini pouches Amy mentioned that there might be a re-design of the Lux coming along. Any word on a time table for that?
    No word on a LUX redesign, but the new knitting bag (still unnamed) will be available soon. Check your private messages.
    Current Carry: Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi rivol,

The handle design on the Utility tote and the Lux bag is similar, and as Darcy says, you can carry the Utility tote that way on your shoulder. Just a couple of comments (now that I've tried both): the Lux is my bag of choice, for the fact that it stands up by itself; I also find the line of forces on the handles even more comfortably distributed than for the Utility tote when the bag is loaded. On the other hand, the Utility tote does have a larger capacity.

moriond
    moriond,

Thank you for your comments. It seems I'll eventually have to add both bags to my already extensive collection of Tom Bihn bags, each and every one a classic that is a joy to use :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    No word on a LUX redesign, but the new knitting bag (still unnamed) will be available soon. Check your private messages.
    Knitting bag? Woohoo! I probably won't buy it because I'm always strapped for cash and I'm saving up for a backpack but still. I just picked up crochet again and it's always great to have more relevant things to dream of owning =D

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0