Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By thorn
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By ilikepie

Thread: wheres the tom bihn blog?

wheres the tom bihn blog?

Is there no more blog anymore? Just went to look at the recent updates and it took me to another page that didn't have anything I could quickly read and did not appear to be chronological, or at least it didn't provide any chronological information. It was bad enough when they changed it the first time and limited it to only a few entries making it difficult to find anything older that wouldn't fit on the vertical scrollbar page, but now, it's just confusing and not a blog format anymore. I can't scan each entry for something I might like to read more about. Titles just don't do that. I feel like the new format just tries to waste my time.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    Is there no more blog anymore? Just went to look at the recent updates and it took me to another page that didn't have anything I could quickly read and did not appear to be chronological, or at least it didn't provide any chronological information. It was bad enough when they changed it the first time and limited it to only a few entries making it difficult to find anything older that wouldn't fit on the vertical scrollbar page, but now, it's just confusing and not a blog format anymore. I can't scan each entry for something I might like to read more about. Titles just don't do that. I feel like the new format just tries to waste my time.
    @thorn, If you subscribe to the newsletter via email, you can choose the link to "View this email in browser" and then choose "Past issues" for a list of blog post links by date. Currently, this is what the list of links looks like for me using this method.

If you select the menu option for "Archive and Search" to reach this page you can select the month by selecting it in the drop down menu for "Filter by Month", or you can type in search terms into the search field and then press "Return". However, the results are not presented as a simple list.

I have requests/suggestions in under the Admin section of the forums (moderators only) for some quick, text based options to search and navigate the blog pages, and also to make the re-designed web pages accessible to people who use screen readers (due to visual impairment, dyslexia, or motion impairment). These primarily use text based searches and navigation. Their support folks have been working at incorporating this into their re-design, but it may have slowed them down a bit, because full support/compliance with web browser accessibility standards requires some extra consideration.

I've also suggested that maintaining a text-based format, similar to what is available in the email distribution and RSS feeds, as a quick method of accessing and browsing, particularly from mobile devices, might be of general interest. You might want to provide your feedback if you feel this is a good idea.

HTH

moriond

Thanks moriond, but if it's going to be a hassle, then I'll just quit reading it once a month or whenever I check it out normally. Products and websites should make my life easier, not more cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    . . . Products and websites should make my life easier, not more cumbersome.
    Whereas with the old format you could just scroll down, now you have to keep making decisions: Is this something I want to click over to, sight unseen, and then have to click back to continue, only to face that decision again?
    spamjam and haraya like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0