Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Comparison Chart

Comparison Chart

Any chance we could see a spreadsheet / chart showing
    Tom Bihn bag, Dimensions, Weight , Cost all on one screen?

My first bag (Aeronaut) is on its way but I feel the 'need for speed' to compare bags for my next purchase(s).

Please accept my apologies and direct me to it if I've missed such a chart and this format already exists online. Thanks

There isn't all on one page except for the laptop fit guides, but every bag has stats listed off to the right that show the dimensions. A comparion guide would be really cool though. What I do is compare the bags in different tabs on my web browser, and use the volume info to compare the bags. A feature calculator maybe? You enter in a form what your looking for (fits __ laptop, backpack or messenger, __ volume) and it will show you the bags that meet that critera?

Thanks. I'll play the web browser game.

I'm trying to find a light weight bag for our Scandinavian trip to use as a 'personal item' companion to my Aeronaut carry on.

Doesn't need to carry a laptop but needs to be lightweight and hard to pick pocket.

I'm looking at the Imago and the Med. Cafe. I like the Absolute strap for the Imago and that I can get it in same fabric as my Aeronaut - so that is my current temptation. It might be a bit large so I'm concerned that my stuff will slosh around.

Here's what I want to fit in.

Pentax 8 x 43 binoculars (without the case)
    Bose noise cancelling headphones (without the case)
    and iPod. These fit in a Sea to Summit ultrasil .7 oz dry sack
    Camcorder - I'm looking at the Canon HV-20 due out soon
    paperback, moleskine, med.'s,
    and of course Larabars.

Since I want to pack things in the ultra thin bags, I wonder if the Imago and Cafe have enough structure or are thick enough to offer some surrounding cushion.

I'd appreciate any thoughts since mine are a bit jumbled. smiles to all.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    That's a good idea! We'll be working on it...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I own both those bags, although my imago is the old model so I can't use the new straps. I'm not quite sure how large those binoculars are either.

If it was me I'd go with the Imago. Since your on a trip, you never know what extra stuff you might pick up on the way, plus it has alot of pockets to store your stuff and it will be easier to find your stuff. The cafe bags are great for quick trips someplace, but if you overstuff it your gonna have to pull everything out just to get something that floated to the bottom.

I think someone here mentioned using an imago as a big purse, maybe somone can give better advice about that.

Concerning pickpocketing, I've never used one of my bags in a crowd, but for the Imago, you can always pull the ipod or whatever you have in those side pockets and stick it in the main compartment for saftey. Plus that new Quick adjust strap looks like you could wear the bag close to your body, making it easier to deal with crowds.

As far as padding, the Imago is thick, but not padded except for the side pockets (and I think those are padded just to keep stuff from getting scratched). It's better than it being on it's own, but no amount of padding will make it 100% safe unless it's in a hard shell.

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I like the reminder about the waist strap. Heck with all the yummy foods and my secret Rick Steve's money belt, why not add another layer to my thickening waistline!?!

I already figured that I'd leave the side zip pockets empty in potentially crowded pick pocket places. Although I do wonder how/if I could keep a mousetrap set in those pockets. tee-hee.

Thanks - good to "hear" from someone with both the Imago and Med. Cafe.

Volunteer Moderator
    I also agree with the Imago recommendation. It will fit all the stuff you listed better than a Medium Cafe (with the Medium Cafe I think you would have bulge). If you are concerned about sloshing, you could always slip a lightweight jacket in there or something =) But as far as hard to pickpocket, it's kinda tough to say. Well, you could always wear it in front of you???

Funny, you wanted a lightweight/thin bag that was also padded/with structure... a bit impossible, no? =P

Thanks for the second on the Imago nomination.

Ok, no prob that there is no padding - you are so right - there will be other things to pack to create my own soft/light weight padding.

Tons of thanks to Darcy and Tom for creating and fostering this forum. It is wonderful to have such a sharing, caring customer base of support for us newbies and oldies (opps, strike that) seasoned TB fans. (how's that for pc?)

Volunteer Moderator
    A couple of other suggestions for using the Imago: the ones made of Ballistic nylon will offer more support for the binoculars and Bose headphones. (You're probably thinking about this anyway, since these have the fabrics that match the Aeronaut). As an additional pickpocket deterrant you could slip some of these items into Organizer Pouches and clip them onto the small rings (two on either end of the inside front of the main pocket; one just above the right outside pocket beneath the flap). Take a look at the Interior 2 view of the Imago. The key chain on the left is hanging off a lanyard attached to the left inside main pocket. There's a second outer pocket ring on the right, just to the left of the earphones. A third ring is located on the inside right side of the main pocket.

As a guideline, the large organizer pouch about matches the front of the Imago. It's outer sides span the right and left seams and the top edge sits about at the seam where the straps connect on the older Imago (I have the same one that Just has in Cordura). You can judge relative sizes accordingly from the Small/Medium/Large view. That probably means medium pouches to fit binoculars or the Bose headphones. The small pouch would fit an iPod, and is also available in a Cork version.

Great suggestion about the organizer pouches. You just talked me into more purchases. smile

Hey, wait a minute are you on the TB sales staff?? just kidding. more smiles. I appreciate the brainstorming.

The organizer pouches really keep you from having a lot of stuff all squished at the bottom, I <3 them.
    As for the pickpocket (PP) thing I found keeping your bag in front of you to be the best way regardless of the bag. Some of the things I heard while in Italy about pickpocket skill was amazing. I took to using one of my Chrome bags with super loud thick velcro (I know, I hate it) that would make it impossible to open without alerting anyone for many miles. It also had 2 snap buckles in addition to the velcro.
    Being aware of your surroundings and attentive is something PP's tend to sense too, they will go on to easier prey. Travel safe =).

thax

Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah, it's almost impossible to get pickpocketed with a Chrome bag...

I <3 the organizer pouches too, but want more little D-rings to hang them from!!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) ScottS's Avatar

Weights/Volume/Dimension Spreadsheet

Hey there! We have finished up a draft version of our Weights/Volume/Dimension Spreadsheet! Please look it over and respond with any feedback that you have regarding the layout or content. I will be working on finishing up a final draft within the next couple of weeks, so I would be happy to incorporate any feedback that I get into the final version. I hope you enjoy it! Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Scott Schweiger
    TOM BIHN Shipping Department
    Original Designs Made in USA Since 1972
    www.tombihn.com

U.S. 1-800-729-9607 / Other countries: 206-652-4123
    4750A Ohio Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98134 USA
    Siquid mantica non capit, domi relinquendum est.

Sorry, cant download or view on my ipad...

Great suggestion about the organizer pouches. You just talked me into more purchases. smile

Hey, wait a minute are you on the TB sales staff?? just kidding. more smiles. I appreciate the brainstorming.
    I agree with using Imago. I also have both and the Imago organizes much better, IMO, than the MCB.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0