Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Field Trips (our blog)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Field Trips (our blog)

Hey everyone,

I am very excited to announce our new blog: Field Trips

(The story behind that name: we always thought of field trips as the best part of school: away from the routine, away from the expected, you’re somewhere new to you, out in the world, learning. And, of course, we’re grown-ups now, but we get that same excitedly nervous feeling when we’re about to go on a trip, or visit the factories of folks that make the materials we use, or summit a new peak.)

Field Trips is a little different than our previous blog. It focuses on three main categories:

Design
    Posts on the design process, about new designs, materials, our company, our factory, and anything and everything related to bags.

Community
    Guest essays, photographic essays and interviews with members of these forums, people who have our bags, people who don't have our bags. (This is where you come in! Want to contribute by submitting your idea for an essay or photo essay, or volunteer to be interviewed? We hope so. Send an email to editorial@tombihn.com)

Journeys
    All about travel, whether by air, train, car, or foot.

It's kind of like a TOM BIHN magazine. And we really hope you like it!

What you won't see as much on Field Trips are detailed/timely updates as to what is in stock or what isn't. We'll continue to focus on sharing that information through the Forums via threads such as Hannah's Backorder Updates/Back In Stock. (As long as we're talking about this: any other information you'd like to see us share via the Forums?)
    Last edited by Darcy; 11-20-2014 at 09:37 AM.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

First call for specific contributions! We thought it'd be fun to do a post of photos of various people's bookshelves. If you're up for it:

1) Take a close-up photo of your bookshelf. Something like this....

Name:  books.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  145.4 KB

(doesn't need to be all of your books; pick your top 10, or take a random snapshot of one of your shelves)

2) Email it to feedback@tombihn.com along with how you'd like to be identified/credited.

3) Fine print: we'll avoid showing books/bookshelves that probably wouldn't be wise to, uhh, discuss at the family Thanksgiving table. Depending on the volume of submissions, we may not be able to feature everyone's photos. And if that's the case, never fear! Our goal is to have lots of group contribution posts like this and your submissions will surely be featured another time. Deadline for submissions is next Wednesday the 26th at 5pm PST.
    Last edited by Darcy; 11-19-2014 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Due to popular demand, we have extended the deadline to Wednesday the 26th.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

No bookshelf anymore....all ebooks. I'll try to figure out how to take a picture....
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I have more bookshelves and books than I'd care to admit......I'll be sending a picture shortly. BTW I love the look of the new blog!

The blog is really pretty! What a great title ... in my job, when someone leaves the office to do whatever it is they do, they say they're "in the field." Love it.

Factory Song!!

The blog looks so good! The clean lines, the font choices, and the photos spanning the full width of the page are all gorgeous, and totally in line with what I see as the present (and possibly even future) Tom Bihn design aesthetic.

Now let's talk about the song "Factory Noise": I'll be listening to it on repeat all day! At once, I'm both on the factory floor and on a train, wheels chugging, toward some unknown yet exciting destination. But I'm enjoying the ride as much as if not more than the thought of arriving at whatever that destination may be. If you haven't heard the song yet, give it a listen. Daniel L.K. Caldwell is an incredibly talented composer.

And @Darcy, I would totally buy an mp3 of it if TB is selling!

Edit: Daniel L.K. Caldwell has created a playlist of his Tom Bihn compositions, and it's free to download. Yay!

blackbird
    Last edited by blackbird; 11-20-2014 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Corrected the name of the song.

Love the new look and feel!! Just read Tom's essay on design.... I LOVE "A Pattern Language", it's on my nightstand right now! (In preparation for that house re-do we're forever planning...) Looking forward to poring over the rest of the blog when I get a chance!!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    No bookshelf anymore....all ebooks. I'll try to figure out how to take a picture....
    How about taking a screen capture from your iPad Mini using the Amazon Kindle app?

moriond
    Darcy and Hawaii like this.

I LOVE the new blog too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay! I am so glad you guys like the new blog. When you work on something like this for a while and stare at it a lot, it's easy to start getting critical and wonder if it's not as great as you thought it was at first. I'm glad to be able to see it through your eyes!

And thanks, blackbird, for posting the link to Daniel's full TOM BIHN playlist.

I've already received a number of bookshelf photos -- thanks, everyone, they're great. Keep 'em coming. I can tell already that's going to be a great post. And part of the intention behind the new blog is for it to be authored by all of us, just like these Forums. If anyone has ideas for collaborative posts like the upcoming bookshelf post, or any other ideas/feedback, feel free to share.

I vote for Badger or Janine to write up a blog post about the Chicago meet up! I'm both excited and little scared for it!

I thought we agreed that what happens in Chicago stays in Chicago :-)

Quote Originally Posted by nukediver View Post
    I thought we agreed that what happens in Chicago stays in Chicago :-)

If it's that kind of trip then I really am scared! This is going to be SO. MUCH. FUN!

Ok, back to the blog... @Darcy, it really is stunning. I love the concept and the content. My crush for all of you at TB is growing by the minute. I would also love to learn more about the TB folks.

Dee
    The new blog looks amazing. I want to get a bigger screen just so I can enjoy the photos more!

A photo of my bookshelf will have to wait until morning, but you'll definitely get one!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0