Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Website upgraded

Website upgraded

The new look is nice! And I like and appreciate the new filter on the Acessories section!

Yeah, I sense the design changes this morning when I did daily routine "All" TB Product.

The design is cleaner. Overall, I like it.
    A45 Navy/Solar, Pilot Steel 400d/Steel, PCSB Nordic, UMP Steel 400d
    BC VerticalSize1, HorizontalM2
    TTIberian+Solar, SC Olive, YSS Tall/Clear/Solar
    DOP Medium/Olive, COP Small/Olive, PP Navy/Solar

Buy List Wouldn't mind Like New: Solar CP, Ristretto
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

The new look is very clean. Definitely an improvement. A couple of minor niggles I've noticed, though:
    1. The filter on the Accessories page doesn't want to do anything in Safari on my iPad running iOS7 - tapping it does nothing, I'm guessing it should display a dropdown menu.
    2. On the Travel bags page and possibly elsewhere, the bag volume is displayed as e.g. VOLUME: Volume: 45 liters (2700 cu in.) . I'm guessing this isn't intentional and it makes the bag details run onto an extra line which disrupts the look slightly.
    3. The spacing on the bag details summaries isn't consistent - on the Travel bags page, compare the Smart Alec and Brain Bag with the Large Cafe Bag between them and the volume information is much lower on the page on the backpacks.
    Last edited by PaulT00; 11-02-2014 at 04:39 AM.
    A45 crm/stl TS nvy/sol A30 aub/was BB nvyP/stlP S19 nor/stl P nor/sol CP blk/stl; SE was CQPC ibrn, sol Ri aub/stl 3DCC crd TSS4 was K crd TT sol,nor,blk CC crd/stl PCBP sol PP nvy QK for,coy,aub + lotsa cubes!

Running iOS 8.1 on my iPads, the drop down menu doesn't work either. On my PC, the menu activates once I mouse over it, I'm guessing this is why it doesn't work on iOS, much like how mousing over color swatches on a PC will display a tag, but will not on iOS.
    Also, other minor things I've observed:
    1.Selecting Key& Tool Straps from the drop down menu, the only item that appears is the Utility Strap.
    2. Packing Cubes and 3D Cubes are appearing when you select Pouches.
    3. Not all the types of 3D Cubes appear when you select Packing Cubes.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Glad you guys like it! And thanks for pointing out the bugs. We're still tweaking with this update, so stay tuned...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I don't see the Aeronaut 30 on the "All" page

Another small gotcha - on the travel bags page (and possibly elsewhere but I haven't checked) a number of bags don't display their volume. Particular offenders are e.g. the A30, the NFTD, the DLBP...
    A45 crm/stl TS nvy/sol A30 aub/was BB nvyP/stlP S19 nor/stl P nor/sol CP blk/stl; SE was CQPC ibrn, sol Ri aub/stl 3DCC crd TSS4 was K crd TT sol,nor,blk CC crd/stl PCBP sol PP nvy QK for,coy,aub + lotsa cubes!

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    iOS folks -- try the menus again. Should work now!
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Menus working on iOS!

Volunteer Moderator
    Darcy,

Is there a reason that the Standard Shoulder Strap never shows up under any search categories for straps, but only under Parts? I know this strap typically gets included as the default ("free") strap option for bags like the Pilot. Here's a quote excerpted from one of my recent post discussions about straps (written before the Accessories web page reorganization, but it's still true you can't locate this strap by selecting the Strap filter option):

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    (BTW I think it is very strange that I can't find the Standard Strap when I choose the Shoulder Straps link underneath the "more" link options besides the accessories link at the top of the web page for products. I have to "know" that in addition to the entries for the Absolute Strap, Simple Shoulder Strap, and Q-AM Shoulder Strap on that page that there is a different Standard Shoulder Strap that I can find under the Parts page.)

moriond
    HTH
    jaon likes this.

I really love the fonts on the TB site. They are so clean and elegant and very Frank Lloyd Wright/Craftsmen (I live in a Prairie Style house).

Is it just me, or would anyone else like to see like items near each other? For example, in travel bags, groupings by type of bags. Duffle style, A45, A30, NFTD; briefcase travel bags like TS and WF; messenger bags; backpacks, ordered by volume. Then the same for non-bag stuff, cubes together, pouches together, stuff sacks, caches, etc. Maybe that's getting too picky (but I do like organization). Plus, I already know where things are on a page (e.g. the side effect is at the bottom of the "All" page) so I can easily navigate to things I'm looking for.
    moriond likes this.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    I really love the fonts on the TB site. They are so clean and elegant and very Frank Lloyd Wright/Craftsmen (I live in a Prairie Style house).

Is it just me, or would anyone else like to see like items near each other? For example, in travel bags, groupings by type of bags. Duffle style, A45, A30, NFTD; briefcase travel bags like TS and WF; messenger bags; backpacks, ordered by volume. Then the same for non-bag stuff, cubes together, pouches together, stuff sacks, caches, etc. Maybe that's getting too picky (but I do like organization). Plus, I already know where things are on a page (e.g. the side effect is at the bottom of the "All" page) so I can easily navigate to things I'm looking for.
    I think this kind of organization by similar items would be useful. For accessories like packing cubes and travel stuff sacks, I think it would be really useful to have at least a table that organizes these options by volume and gives dimensions. Also, list of accessory combinations that work well together (as in the Going marsupial! thread would also be useful. One of the common questions we get are where other commonly used packing cubes (like the ones from Eagle Creek) fit in, in comparison with the TB ones, and it would be useful to either know this or to possibly have a visual line-up (like the ones for the Travel Stuff Sack pictures), showing these items lined up in order. (This is probably an easier way to convey how much bigger an accessory like the Clear Quarter Packing Cube at 2.7 liters is compared to a 3D Organizer Cube at 1 liter). Also, while I love the clean font types, the current web pages are still a hybrid, with the volume information left off the products.

moriond

Another little bug-ette: On the new Daylight Briefcase page, the link which should popup the Colors subwindow gives me a nearly blank window with the sad error message indicating that:

The requested URL /mm5/pop/colors.html was not found on this server.
    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Another small point regarding the Colors subwindow is that if one is on an iDevice - certainly on an iPhone - then trying to use it is an exercise in frustration as scrolling or resizing the page seems to cause the subwindow to move within the resized page to maintain its offset - wherever you stretch the page to or from, it's impossible to scroll so that the Colors subwindow is properly visible. On my iPad which I've just tried, on iOS 7, scrolling just moves the underlying page while the subwindow stays still, showing the first 4 rows of colour swatches... annoying!

Volunteer Moderator
    @PaulT00. The pop up windows not working correctly for iOS devices has always been true, and not just for color samples, but also for packing cube size pop ups. See @icebeng's question and my following reply post., and you can also read the posts around those in that thread. The pop ups are all designed to be viewed on a desktop web browser. On any iOS device, I copy the address for the pop up and then paste it into the address bar. In that format the pop up window always ignores the pixel dimension arguments of the pop up and uses full screen.

HTH.moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Darcy, Is there a reason, other than the fact that it is back ordered, for not including the Cadet in any of the product pages for Briefcases and Messenger Bags, or even on the link to alll items? Should I not be pointing people to the Cadet product page? I saw on Twitter not long ago that you were planning to put the Cadet back for orders soon. However, in the current web page design, it's nearly impossible find its entry, while there are more items that do show up that look as though they are genuinely out, like the Egp.

moriond

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0