Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By sturbridge
  • 1 Post By luvdabags
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By Badger
  • 4 Post By tpnl

Thread: Is it just my imagination or does the Pilot now have some non-backordered selections?

Is it just my imagination or does the Pilot now have some non-backordered selections?

I swear I decided on a Pilot a couple of weeks ago, but everything at the time was backordered to the end of November. I went to longingly look at the page again last night, and there are a bunch of selections available now. Was that just my imagination? Tom Bihn, what are you doing to my wallet? First new Side Effect selections (coyote/steel on order), now this?????

I really wanted to hold out for a coyote/steel Pilot, but the reality is all the rest of my luggage, and all of my Tom Bihn bags are black or black dyneema, so the Black/Iberian Pilot really would be a better choice. And could be used in a pinch for a work bag. Even though my coyote Side Effect will be lonely without a companion.
    Last edited by sturbridge; 10-10-2014 at 04:01 AM.
    Abby likes this.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian , PU in coyote/steel (this bag is not just for parents), SE in black/iberian and coyote/steel, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz in black and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag which would be a slightly larger Night Flight or a slightly smaller Skookum duffle.

how about a coyote co-pilot to go with the pilot and the SE and be the bridge between them?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sturbridge View Post
    I swear I decided on a Pilot a couple of weeks ago, but everything at the time was backordered to the end of November. I went to longingly look at the page again last night, and there are a bunch of selections available now. Was that just my imagination? Tom Bihn, what are you doing to my wallet? First new Side Effect selections (coyote/steel on order), now this?????

I really wanted to hold out for a coyote/steel Pilot, but the reality is all the rest of my luggage, and all of my Tom Bihn bags are black or black dyneema, so the Black/Iberian Pilot really would be a better choice. And could be used in a pinch for a work bag. Even though my coyote Side Effect will be lonely without a companion.
    @sturbridge The first of the Pilots to show up off backlist (Steel/UV) appeared at the same time as you posted your thread on the new Side Effect color combinations. Here's one of my posts (#6) in that thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    @sturbridge Do yourself a favor and get both Black Dyneema/Iberian and Coyote/Steel Side Effects.

On another topic, even though there are no new Pilot colors that I saw (an Aubergine option would be nice, hint, hint!), the Steel/UV Pilot is showing up as available now (no longer on Back Order).
    Black/Iberian and Navy/UV have since shown up on the available options, but no new colors (like Coyote or Aubergine) have made an appearance in this batch, as color combinations for the Pilot have rolled off the back order list. The last "new" color for the outside of the Pilot was Forest/Steel during the July 8, 2014 production run:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    The news many of us have been waiting for…. The Pilot is once again in stock and ready to ship! Colors: Black/Wasabi, Steel/Ultraviolet, Forest/Steel, and Navy/Solar.
    Black/Iberian should be pretty nice. I've seen that combination in the earlier Cadet releases.

HTH moriond

So I'm NOT crazy (this time, and that's always relative anyways being a Bihnion ).
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian , PU in coyote/steel (this bag is not just for parents), SE in black/iberian and coyote/steel, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz in black and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag which would be a slightly larger Night Flight or a slightly smaller Skookum duffle.

Black/Iberian should be pretty nice. I've seen that combination in the earlier Cadet releases.
    The Black/Iberian Pilot looks amazing if I do say so myself. Now that I finally have a laptop that fits in there, I'm really excited to use it regularly as a work bag. I'm stoked about all the compartments.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tpnl likes this.

My Pilot in Black / Iberian just shipped yesterday together with a French Blue DLBP to go in my growing Black/Iberian and Nordic PCBP/PCSB collection! I think TB should invest in drones that deliver quicker! But, I cannot complain - TB is over a month ahead of their estimated late November availability - WOW, thanks TB crew!

@Badger - your Black/Iberian Pilot is a thing of beauty. Thanks for showing it to me when we had a chance to meet! That is what inspired me to get one. It hopefully will fit my big laptop (based on @isablur and @weirdguy's videos and pictures - thanks guys!). If not, I am just going to have to replace my 3 year old laptop with a new smaller one - priorities, you know ...

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 10-10-2014 at 11:36 AM.
    SA (Black/Black/Iberian)-SOON!, Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post

@Badger - your Black/Iberian Pilot is a thing of beauty. Thanks for showing it to me when we had a chance to meet! That is what inspired me to get one.
    Anything I can do, my friend. Anything I can do. 😊

I'm *this close* to ordering a Pilot Black/Iberian tonight! But one question: is getting an absolute shoulder strap for this overkill? i.e., if you intend to use this as a day-to-day, laptop/messenger bag with a few electronics thrown in?

Honestly, maybe the one item I'm not a fan of with TB is the standard strap. Had one years ago on the now discontinued ID bag and it just felt flimsy to me. (Bigger fan probably of the cross body straps on the Timbuktu Messenger Bags. They feel at least more robust).

I am doing an overnight right now with a pilot. I have a MBA11 in a cache, iPad mini, chargers in a small pouch, packing cube with shirt, socks and underwear, cube for toiletries and other small knick knacks.

The standard strap was perfectly serviceable. Unless you are carrying a really heavy laptop I would pass.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffmac View Post
    I am doing an overnight right now with a pilot. I have a MBA11 in a cache, iPad mini, chargers in a small pouch, packing cube with shirt, socks and underwear, cube for toiletries and other small knick knacks.

The standard strap was perfectly serviceable. Unless you are carrying a really heavy laptop I would pass.
    I actually agree with this, but if @djknyc ordered an ID bag back in 2004, that strap is not the standard strap we are talking about. I have an ID bag from that year, and I immediately replaced that strap with an Absolute Strap as soon as it was possible. I'll quote an excerpt from my reply to @adalangdon in her Blog post on the Id thread from last month:

@adalangdon, I meant to comment on that blog post review of the ID bag. I have a similar model bag (in Black/Steel/Crimson -- so the color is on the inside instead of on the flap). However, I waited until they moved the Airline ticket pocket to the other side of the flap, as suggested by Siv in this post before I bought the bag.

<snip…>

What surprised me most about the blog post is that all the accessories are really recent (as the poster noted), and the original strap is still being used. I switched out to an Absolute Strap back in 2007, when they first offered "Cheater D Rings"', as shown in @eristick's Adapter thread. You'll see in the link in my post in this thread that we were both (mildly) griping about the ID Bag strap at the start of the design thread for the carryon bag that became the Aeronaut.

Just my thoughts YMMV.

moriond
    I regret to say that while you used to be able to order a pair of the old "Adapters" (aka "Cheater D Rings" for the ID bag) from the Parts page, they sold the last pair of these at the end of July 2014, and a very recent query to Customer Support brought the reply that they were not planning to restock this item. The picture of the 1.5" Cheater D rings still shows up in photo options for Parts, but they're no longer available for purchase in the drop down menu. If you want to see what these looked like, there's a picture in my post in the Making other bags better with TB-sourced hardware thread, which also shows pictures of the "Cheater D ring" versions they were selling most recently (before selling out).

I will say that I used to routinely choose the Absolute strap over the Standard Shoulder Strap for every bag I ordered up through the recent Pilot. Here's a picture of this strap with snaphooks from Parts, which I think does not include the fact that the shoulder pad is now curved:
    Name:  TB0560_26b.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  25.9 KB

(BTW I think it is very strange that I can't find the Standard Strap when I choose the Shoulder Straps link underneath the "more" link options besides the accessories link at the top of the web page for products. I have to "know" that in addition to the entries for the Absolute Strap, Simple Shoulder Strap, and Q-AM Shoulder Strap on that page that there is a different Standard Shoulder Strap that I can find under the Parts page.)

The one thing that does slightly annoy me about using the current standard strap with the Pilot is that the shoulder pad slides too easily along the strap. I'll quote from a recent post @weirdguy made about traveling with the Pilot on a trip to Taiway:
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    Also, from this trip, I start to learn to love the Absolute Shoulder strap and very dislike the Standard Strap. The Pad of the Standard Strap love to displace itself, annoyingly.
    Before, I only use the Absolute Strap in non-Cross-Body mode as the non-slippery material caught on my shirts and I wouldn't able to easily swing to front or back. Then from this trip, I learn that I could swing effortlessly by switching the side of the non-slippery material upside down. Hence, with the material on top rather than normally on the bottom where it face/rest on your shoulder, I could use the Strap as like any kind strap, plus the Absolute Strap is more kind to my shoulder with its springy feature.
    So while the Absolute Strap can seem like overkill for the Pilot, you could try it. Some people use a variant of a smaller OpTech camera strap for the Co-Pilot. I'll quote from a wish list post and reply by @taminca:
    Quote Originally Posted by Espresso View Post
    It would be great if there was a narrower absolute strap option with plastic swivel hooks for smaller bags.
    Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Might this be what you are looking for? The OPTECH mini SOS strap, a smaller version of TB's Absolute Strap for smaller bags. I bought mine on Amazon. The product link is Amazon.com: OP/TECH USA Mini S.O.S. Strap - Black: Camera & Photo
    FYI, OPTECH specially designs the Absolute Shoulder straps for Tom Bihn, but there are some differences in the end connectors that are used. If you haven't had an Absolute Strap you might want to get one for general bag use. And on smaller messenger style bags like the (also now retired) Imago, I prefer to use the Quick-Adjust Messenger Strap.

@jeffmac, any tips for keeping the shoulder strap from sliding? Placing something between the strap and shoulder pad to keep it from slipping? (Not such an issue if your bag is heavily loaded).

moriond

I find the absolute strap on my imago to be awesome. I also use a detachable one on the NFTD.

Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

@moriond -- Helpful write up. Thanks for it! Good to know that it wasn't just me speaking blasphemy on the otherwise stellar TB stuff, that cobbling together one of the TB messenger bags with another shoulder strap is more common than I thought.

I must have completely overlooked the QA Messenger Strap: so, will these, with clips work on the Pilot? (it's closer to what I'm looking for).

Hmm.. interesting that you note that the straps from way back when -- i.e., ID bag -- are different than the current standard straps. They just appear similar. I can def. spring for the absolute strap as a versatile choice -- for future bags and such -- but comfort aside, it look pretty wide, proportionally, for something like the Pilot. Am I wrong about that?

I use an Ultrasuede Strap Wrap on the standard pilot strap and I like that arrangement a lot. I routinely overstuff my Pilots so the extra padding - which stays put because of the grippy stuff inside the wrap - is helpful.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I find the absolute strap on my imago to be awesome. I also use a detachable one on the NFTD.
    I think that whether you prefer to use the Absolute Strap or the Q-AM strap with your Imago depends on your preferred mode of accessing that bag. Both the Imago and the ID bag are horizontal messenger bags that can be carried cross-body. With the Absolute Strap, the underside of the strap is meant to form a grippy surface that prevents the bag from slipping or sliding. When I'm carrying a heavy load, that feature, and the general ability of the Absolute Strap to distribute the weight of that load across a broad area of the strap, and make you feel as though what you are carrying is much lighter is a great boon. However, with lighter horizontal messenger bags like the Imago, I like the ability to swing/slip the bag around to access the contents. I'm not using the Q-AM strap's feature to carry the bag high up on my back, which some people use (and which works for even much larger bags like the Super Ego and Ego). I'm using the fact that the broad, padded section of the Q-AM strap also does a great job of distributing weight, but the slippery nylon surface of the padded strap also makes it easy for me to shift the bag position around without having the friction of the grippy underside surface of the Absolute Strap prevent that.

I have lots of Absolute Straps (and one of my replies to a query about the Adapter even includes a mention that exactly one set of the earlier generation of Absolute Strap Snaphooks is too small to clip onto the original design Cheater D ring loops). I bought the Aubergine/Hemp/Steel Imago from someone with the Absolute Strap, but later decided that I preferred using the Q-AM strap setup that I had opted for with my 2007 Hunter/Cork/Sage Imago, and switched this over.

Some people don't find this strap works for them, and in my experience you have to adjust the Q-AM strap when you first get it to make it a comfortable fit. Also, I can't use the Q-AM strap for heavy loads. The weight of the bag and its contents determines when I switch between Q-AM strap and Absolute Strap, and in general I have the Absolute Strap on my ID bag.

Quote Originally Posted by djknyc View Post
    @moriond -- Helpful write up. Thanks for it! Good to know that it wasn't just me speaking blasphemy on the otherwise stellar TB stuff, that cobbling together one of the TB messenger bags with another shoulder strap is more common than I thought.

I must have completely overlooked the QA Messenger Strap: so, will these, with clips work on the Pilot? (it's closer to what I'm looking for).

Hmm.. interesting that you note that the straps from way back when -- i.e., ID bag -- are different than the current standard straps. They just appear similar. I can def. spring for the absolute strap as a versatile choice -- for future bags and such -- but comfort aside, it look pretty wide, proportionally, for something like the Pilot. Am I wrong about that?
    The Q-AM strap didn't debut until 2007, when they updated the design of the original Imago to have a toothed slide that would accept alternate straps, instead of sewing one strap's side directly to the bag as is the case for the Small and Medium Cafe bags. (BTW, the end of that very old linked thread to the Q-AM strap from 2007 includes a recent post by @Mausermama detailing why she converted from Absolute to Q-AM strap for the Imago and preferred that strap. It's much along the lines of preferred bag access mode that I outlined.)

@djknyc, you're correct that the Absolute Strap is probably overkill for most uses of the Pilot, unless you have a very heavy load, and I suspect the smaller OPTECH strap I linked in my quoted posts would work, too. However, it's pretty comfortable if you choose to use it on the Pilot. When I travel with the Pilot inside a Tri-Star I may shift the Absolute strap from my Tri-Star to the Pilot.

If you want to read up on strap comparisons, a good source is Kevin's Practical Hacks Shoulder Strap Comparison Review , and he later updated his review for the revised design of the Absolute Strap. I don't think he ever covered the Q-AM strap, and he never covered Messenger Bags from Tom Bihn in the same detail as travel bags like the Aeronaut, Tri-Star, and Western Flyer. If you had a similar bent because you were using your bags from Timbuk2, then you probably wouldn't have noticed the Q-AM strap.

The Q-AM strap isn't really an option for the Pilot, because the strap usually attaches via a toothed slide that keeps it aligned with the sides of the parent bag. The Pilot comes with the insert points for the strap hooks. If I connected a Q-AM strap to the same snap hook ends as shown in the embedded picture of the standard strap, the ends would swivel in those insert points.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    I use an Ultrasuede Strap Wrap on the standard pilot strap and I like that arrangement a lot. I routinely overstuff my Pilots so the extra padding - which stays put because of the grippy stuff inside the wrap - is helpful.
    I do have an Ultrasuede Strap Wrap, which I've never really found a use for, since none of my Cafe Bags, Shop Bag handles, Swift handles, etc. tend to slip down from my shoulders. (I also tried the one from Waterfield Design, which is even smaller profile, but which I also find I don't need). It seems to me that having the shoulder pad slide that easily is something that is better fixed by design, rather than by carrying an extra Strap Wrap, which I wouldn't use at all unless I had to fix a design issue in the original strap. I was thinking more of putting a small velcro patch under the strap where it meets the shoulder pad. I could always take that off and use it separately for "stationary accessory" purposes if I wanted to remove it.

moriond

Serves me right for procrastinating. I don't see the Black/Iberian combo in stock anymore . Will it be restocked anytime soon (TB staff)?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0