Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree12Likes
  • 12 Post By markwill

Thread: 25th Wedding Anniversary trip and Tom Bihn bags

25th Wedding Anniversary trip and Tom Bihn bags

Well, after a lot of planning and anticipation, we arrived back from our 25th wedding anniversary trip last night, our first "one bag" trip. And it was an outstanding success Numerous folks here were helpful over the last few months so I thought a brief trip report might be a way to say thank you.

As a summary, we had a flight on Iceland Air to Paris, Easyjet to Rome, car hire around Tuscany, Air France back to Paris, before the return trip on Iceland Air to Seattle. We have been to beautiful Paris numerous times (never gets old) but we've never been to Italy.

A key decision was that we'd go "one bag". After years of joking about the massive amount of luggage my wife typically takes, I initially thought it was a no-hoper for me (going with one bag would obviously be heavily compromised as a benefit if my wife was checking in). But, to my surprise, she bought into the idea earlier this year and really got into the planning aspect, including buying clothes and items that were well suited to one bad travel.

I bought an Aeronaut (only the 45 was available back then) and a Pilot. My wife later bought an Aeronaut 45.

And.... it all went AMAZINGLY well. I don't need to tell everyone here of the benefits of one bag travel, we were super pleased with all those benefits. Of particular note was that we both found the straps for "backpack mode" to make a huge difference as we walked through airports and from subway stations to hotels.

We had no problem with any of the airlines.

I have tons of little benefits in my mind but, as I say, they are well known here. One example is that my wife and I both unpacked in about 10 minutes after getting home which is VERY different to how long it's taken in the past.

In short, Tom Bihn and the concept of one bin worked fantastically for us and I can't imagine wanting to check in again.

Mark

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by markwill View Post
    Well, after a lot of planning and anticipation, we arrived back from our 25th wedding anniversary trip last night, our first "one bag" trip. And it was an outstanding success Numerous folks here were helpful over the last few months so I thought a brief trip report might be a way to say thank you.
    @markwill So glad to hear you had a great 25th anniversary trip, and thanks for reporting back. One question: I recall there was some initial concern about the Dyneema colors (you got Steel/Steel, and that color option was initially unavailable to your wife, who ordered Black/Wasabi, although later Customer Service offered her the Steel/Steel option when a bag came available, if she wanted to switch -- and she didn't). How did she ultimately feel about that Dyneema color combination compared to yours? Did she like the contrasting lining color, or would she have preferred to have steel? Just curious.

Best,

moriond

Good memory, moriond!

I didn't want to mention any negatives - because they were so minor and insignificant - but the color of my wife's Aeronaut was one of them. I have the steel and she has the black. We both didn't like how it seemed liked we were a walking ad for Tom Bihn I always kind of cringe when I see couples with matching clothes and the closeness of the black and steel colors made it look like we tried to match. We both disliked that part

My wife would have much preferred a distinct / strong color but, at the time we ordered, the only Dyneema choice was black, which was a shame and a little surprising.

By the way, I don't recall the offer to switch to Steel/Steel - though that would have made it even worse

Since you asked...

Mark

Volunteer Moderator
    Good memory, moriond!

I didn't want to mention any negatives - because they were so minor and insignificant - but the color of my wife's Aeronaut was one of them. I have the steel and she has the black. We both didn't like how it seemed liked we were a walking ad for Tom Bihn I always kind of cringe when I see couples with matching clothes and the closeness of the black and steel colors made it look like we tried to match. We both disliked that part

My wife would have much preferred a distinct / strong color but, at the time we ordered, the only Dyneema choice was black, which was a shame and a little surprising.

By the way, I don't recall the offer to switch to Steel/Steel - though that would have made it even worse

Since you asked...

Mark
    @markwill I think this was the post where you mentioned that they called back:

Thanks for all the responses - good suggestions and comments. Given the comments, my wife is a little more comfortable with the black and how that will look. Having places the order on Sunday, I did - as suggested - call Tom Bihn yesterday just in case something came up. Sure enough, I got a call back this morning saying that a steel (Dyneema) Aeronaut was available I absolutely love how they remembered my call and took the time to call me. That said - woman!! I called the wife and she said she's OK with the black over the steel. She's concerned about a "matching husband and wife" team walking through airports looking oh-so-coordinated!

I am still hoping some non-black (and, now, non-steel) Dyneema comes in before the end of August though

Dephyingra, have a great trip yourself.

Binje - "stunning new color announcement". You can't do that!! I'm all a-fluster now!!

Ilikepie - she's not having my steel Aeronaut!!! Love her and all that but, ya know - that's MY Aeronaut

I remember this came up shortly before the 4th of July weekend, because @Janine was looking for a Steel Dyneema Aeronaut, and couldn't get that color combination. I assume that she got dibs on that one after you passed on this, as I commented in this forum post reply to @Janine.

Sorry that the Dyneema and the colors being too matchy was a slight negative, but glad to hear about all the positive experiences.

moriond

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0