Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By adalangdon
  • 1 Post By moriond

Thread: Blog post on the Id

Blog post on the Id

FYI for those who are seeking an Id but like myself, don't check the TB blog very often. I'd previously assumed it was coming back *for sure*.

"Note: the ID messenger bag isnít currently available for order because our Seattle factory is totally busy making other bags right now. It might be available for order in the future, but if itís not, thatíll be because we choose to replace it with one of the new messenger bag/briefcase designs Tom is working on."

And I'm guessing the same can be said about the Super Ego as well?
    ISO: Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine SCB, Kiwi LS, Ultrasuede LS, Pink Swift, Ego seat-belt buckle stripe, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

I'm more intrigued by the "that’ll be because we choose to replace it with one of the new messenger bag/briefcase designs Tom is working on." part.
    There's a pretty big fan base for the retired Imago as well, so it's good to know that they're testing out horizontal messengers.
    I'm wondering if the new design is an update or a totally new one.

As I'm typing, I realized I'm making the assumption that briefcase = horizontal, are there vertical briefcases out there?
    It's possible the messenger/briefcase could be a vertical design, but I'm hoping it's horizontal.

Quote Originally Posted by icebeng View Post
    I'm more intrigued by the "that’ll be because we choose to replace it with one of the new messenger bag/briefcase designs Tom is working on." part.
    There's a pretty big fan base for the retired Imago as well, so it's good to know that they're testing out horizontal messengers.
    I'm wondering if the new design is an update or a totally new one.

As I'm typing, I realized I'm making the assumption that briefcase = horizontal, are there vertical briefcases out there?
    It's possible the messenger/briefcase could be a vertical design, but I'm hoping it's horizontal.
    I think it should be horizontal... it's just a matter of when it's coming out. My bets are on Fall 2015. It will probably have the sleeker aesthetic that's typical of their newer offerings. JM2C.

I'm a little sad that it's only a matter of time before some of these older models will be retired. No doubt the replacements will offer more features for the same use profile, but bags like the Ego/Super Ego, Id, Brain Bag, and even the Imago have a nerdy, geeky 90s-early 2000 aesthetic that makes me sentimental. I'm surprised and grateful that the BB has stayed around for so long, and looks set to be around a while longer!
    ISO: Turquoise/Cayenne MCB, Pine SCB, Kiwi LS, Ultrasuede LS, Pink Swift, Ego seat-belt buckle stripe, anything in Sage, Hemp, Crimson ballistic & Indigo ballistic

Volunteer Moderator
    @adalangdon, I meant to comment on that blog post review of the ID bag. I have a similar model bag (in Black/Steel/Crimson -- so the color is on the inside instead of on the flap). However, I waited until they moved the Airline ticket pocket to the other side of the flap, as suggested by Siv in this post before I bought the bag. You can still find this bag on eBay, including older models like these (without water bottle pocket) as, for example, this August 22, 2014 eBay auction that closed for $69.95 with free expedited shipping (US only). (the description isn't very good, but that's a crimson interior in the pictures).

What surprised me most about the blog post is that all the accessories are really recent (as the poster noted), and the original strap is still being used. I switched out to an Absolute Strap back in 2007, when they first offered "Cheater D Rings"', as shown in @eristick's Adapter thread. You'll see in the link in my post in this thread that we were both (mildly) griping about the ID Bag strap at the start of the design thread for the carryon bag that became the Aeronaut.

Just my thoughts YMMV. Oh, and today's Apple announcement of new larger sized iPhones probably means redesigning things with larger pockets for the iPhone (same thing for whatever replaces the Imago).

moriond

Re: the bigger iphone, I find that as it is, some iphone sized pockets barely fit mine, especially as I use an Otterbox case. I wonder if a customizable pocket could be designed, possible with snaps or drawstrings that size the opening down as needed.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0