Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree32Likes
  • 10 Post By weirdguy
  • 8 Post By Ineffable
  • 5 Post By tpnl
  • 2 Post By weirdguy
  • 1 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By weirdguy
  • 2 Post By Ineffable
  • 3 Post By tpnl

Thread: Recent New Blog's Posts: TPNL’s TB Design Spotlight

Recent New Blog's Posts: TPNL’s TB Design Spotlight

This topic is in response to recent Tom Bihn Blog's post titled TPNL's TB Design Spotlight.

Dozens of Likes :P to @tpnl

I was super excited that Tom Bihn did a "Cover" of tpnl's work in the forum and made a photos collection, showing tpnl's multiple transformation with a Brain Cell.
    There are a few (below), I weren't know before.

Extracted from Blog's Post; Photo by tpnl
    Name:  BCPB.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  345.4 KB
    Wow, tpnl just justify the only reason for me to get a PCBP.
    I tried to fit my Size 1 Vertical Brain Cell with my sister DLBP (Black Dyneema). No luck, the Brain Cell would fit in but not able to zip close (top), as the Brain Cell is higher.

Extracted from Blog's Post; Photo by tpnl
    Name:  CP.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  475.0 KB
    Awesome! 3 in 1. I have ever thought of CP and BC, but never CP, PCSB and BC.

I have one question, related to the posted photos.
    Are all the Brain Cell in the photos are Vertical Brain Cell Size 1?

Thanks tpnl, for your unconditional work and love in this TB Forum.
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-20-2014 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Added @tpnl name
    Solar: A45 Navy, CP Steeld, SA Black, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel: Pilot Steel 400d, UMP Steel 400d
    Olive: SC, DOP/M, COP/M

BC V S1, H M2, PCSB Nordic, TT Iberian, Risretto Cocoa/Cayenne

Buy List Wouldn't mind : Solar Like New
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

What a wonderful post @weirdguy. Thanks for taking the time to recognize another member. That's actually one of my favorite things about this community is the love and respect between everyone - something missing from society at large
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Thank-you very much for your praise @weirdguy! I am glad you enjoyed the Blog post and I too do love the interaction of everyone in the TB forum.

I could not put it any better @Ineffable – the people in this forum encourage you to want to do more and participate. I really like the Forum Rule and Guidelines about No trolls (elves, hobbits and Ents are OK) – it really encapsulates the Forum member’s ethos and way of thinking of things. It always brings a smile to my face to see one member helping a new one or answer a question to make another member’s life easier. The creative ideas of everyone are fantastic and the knowledge of the earlier members is amazing.

To answer your question @weirdguy – yes the Brain Cell Size 1 fits perfectly in the Tri-Star/Western Flyer PCBP – this is what I originally tried. It unfortunately does not fit in the Aeronaut PCBP version (but close if you do not care to use the bottom compartment for much). FYI – the Brain Cell in my pictures is a Size 2S – wider and a bit shorter than the Size 1. I can take some pictures of the Size 1 in the PCBP if you wish. I think the Tri-Star PCBP / Brain Cell / Vertical Freudian Slip is the perfect minimalist work / casual backpack. You get the great Dyneema colors and the protection of the Brain Cell as well as add-in organization of the Freudian Slip! The Brain Cell and Freudian Slip also provide excellent structure to the PCBP.

@weirdguy - thanks for confirming that the Brain Cell Size 1 does not fit in the DLBP. I saw the question raised in another thread but did not see a definitive answer and it was a lingering question. Thanks also for testing a 15.6” laptop in a Pilot for me. It confirms that, though I like the Pilot, it is not for me and my main 15.6” laptop - until I downsize my laptop - does it make sense to base my next technology purchase on what TB bag it will fit …?

Thanks

Cheers!

Edit: The PCBP-A does not fit the Size 1 Brain Cell - you cannot close the zippers on the top - but it is close (... but no cigar).
    Last edited by tpnl; 08-20-2014 at 11:20 PM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

You're welcome, tpnl.

You are correct, Ineffable.
    I am very grateful that I know TB and its amazing crew and forum members - helping out each another.

Name:  PicsArt_21_8_2014 9_44_11 AM.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  304.2 KB
    Sorry for the Photo Quality (for certain Photos), I used PicsArt's Collage (Photo Studio for Windows 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1) to create such collection, all-in-one glance. I guess while it save, its compression was too efficient.

Unlike PCBP (I assumed) which has more rectangular shape overall, DLBP is more oval on top, and square on the bottom - perhaps, like Synapse.
    Hence, my BC (Vertical Size 1) easily slide in to my sister's DLBP but totally couldn't zip up.
    I hope my photo shade some light into it. But I don't think much anyone would carry a laptop (BC) with PCBP or DLBP, either.

@tpnl, thanks for your offer to snap some photos of BC (Vertical Size 1) with PCBP. If you wouldn't mind, I prefer to see the photo of PCBP Aeronaut + BC, as you mentioned - it would fit, shall the bottom pocket is not used or fully used. I am really curious how the BC would really fit and also how the bottom pocket could be impacted. I initially think (before your post) that PCBP-A would not able to fit the BC because its Height only 17.5" while the BC is 17.6". Yet, the PCPB-A has a bottom pocket hence the remaining height for BC should be much shorter than full 17.5". Whereby PCBP-TS has full 18" Height.

Also, since both are priced similar and also either has pro & con with only 1 exterior pocket - either on the PCBP-A bottom (it could work like a Travel Tray, though it may look awkward with empty top) or on the side PCBP-TS (It may look bulk-out, if I stored non-flat thing on the side pocket).

As my EDC is simply a Backpack (Defy Bucktown: Carrying my Laptop+Power Adapter only, once in a blue moon - a stack of files/folders, as I drive to work.) and UMP (of SA for my Home key, Power Bank, Wallet, Pen, Supplementary, Bluetooth Earset), I felt I could down-size my Backpack further to a lighter PCBP as I continuously felt my Defy Backpack is somewhat heavy when loaded.

True, Freudian Slip in your Photos are terrific. It is amazing to see how it could fit/hook so many things into it. Really great in saving space.

@tpnl, Nah... It is not worth. Who know, perhaps TB may bring a revised version of Pilot by 2015 - slightly larger to fit a Cache Size 1 with ease. Then this will be a better time to get a Pilot.
    Honestly, I haven't have the opportunity to use my Pilot yet. I am hoping, I will by next month to Taiwan - hopefully too, I wouldn't be disappointed with it. It is kinda big when I start wonder what to fill in - especially for Travel Purpose. In case I wish to swap the Pilot for a CP, I believe (since there are quite a few Steely 400d lover in the Forum) my Steel 400d Pilot wouldn't be that hard to find a new owner. Again, I stress ~ In Case, have no intention to do a swap/sale now
    Last edited by weirdguy; 08-20-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: Replaced with better Photo
    moriond and tpnl like this.

I just realise that your signature showed that you own a brown-color Aeronaut 45. Is it Coyote?
    If yes, how is it?

Unfortunately the Size 1 BC does not fit in the PCBP-A. Just like the DLBP, it cannot be closed up fully - even when pushed down into the bottom compartment. Of the 3 BC I have, the Size 4Z just fits but I would not recommend it.

As for your Aeronaut question, I have the Black/Iberian version - No coyote version.

Thanks @weirdguy for the great pictures of the DLBP and the Size 1 BC. It is unfortunate but the Size 1 definitely works with the PCBP-TS/WF (just double checked it right now) and is a good minimalize backpack carry. If you are quick, there might be a 400D version still left lingering in the factory - give them a call!

Thanks!

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    I just realise that your signature showed that you own a brown-color Aeronaut 45. Is it Coyote?
    If yes, how is it?
    I'm sorry. I actually mean to ask @Ineffable.
    That's weird, @Ineffable's quote wasn't there.

It is alright. I also found out that @Ineffable's Coyote A45 is currently on its way at the Anticipation topic.
    Be sure to post plenty of photo. Coyote is a special color. I wish someone who have a CP Coyote to post up too.

@tpnl, I just email them whether they could have a 400d Nordic or Steel.
    Honestly, I hope they don't have any of them. If not, my heart will be itching and .... I can't bear to foresee the consequence.

@weirdguy, you correctly deciphered my Coyote & Steel A45 is en route. I doubt I'll be able to resist a few test packing sessions this weekend and I'll snap some photos along the way
    tpnl and weirdguy like this.
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

@Ineffable, Alright. Looking forward for your photos.

I just read my email responded by Tom Bihn Crew regarding my inquiry of 400d Dyneema Packing Cube BackPack PCSB TS/WF. They responded that they have a few Nordic and Black Dyneema 400d available and these two colors are not listed in its Product's Option.

Sigh~, I am really not sure whether I should.

@weirdguy ... here are some words to help you decide ...

... limited run ...
    ... nordic is being retired ...
    ... stronger 400d material ...
    ... never to be seen again ...
    ... more durable when used on its own ...
    ... nordic dyneema will match your PCSB ...
    ... you can use your Brain Cells more efficently ...
    ... black dyneema will match your sister's DLBP and your Pilot ...
    ... mmmm ... 400d dyneema ... you don't need electricity or hot water for a month ... the savings can go to your purchase ...

Just kidding ...

Cheers!

@tpnl, Haha. Thanks you. Thanks you.
    Thanks you for making those double-clear to me. Lol

I still can't decide - which a Nordic or Black.
    I love to get a Nordic because it is never to be seen again but Nordic look more kiddish especially I intend to bring it to work.
    While, Black Dyneema is still somewhat acceptable and as you said, it really could match my Pilot.

Will see how later. As I couldn't justify a purchase now, especially with a $45 Shipping Fee. Near Christmas, perhaps. I will let "faith" work out.
    Shall Nordic PCSB-TS/WF still available that time, I will grab a Nordic. Else not, I may just grab the Black + wishing for a Cardinal/Iberian Key Strap.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0