What new smaller backpack?

[q]mrae

I love the new colors. I hope they're available on my next purchase- probably not another imago though. I'm waiting to see what the new smaller backpack looks like.[/q]

Darcy, could you please tell me more about the backpack mrae is talking about?

That's so exiting!
    Last edited by backpack; 01-22-2007 at 11:19 AM.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    I think it's one of the most exciting new designs that Tom is working on, especially for those of us who want a backpack even smaller than the Smart Alec.

The design is loosely based on a backpack Tom designed and sewed himself in 1972 that used to hang on the wall in our Seattle store. Customers who came into the store always asked if they could buy it, even before they knew it was a vintage piece.

It may or may not have a built-in padded laptop pocket (like the Buzz has) that will fit laptops up to 13". If it doesn't have a built-in laptop area, it will be able to accept the smaller sizes of Soft Cell. Thoughts?

It will have shoulder straps that are designed to fit women in particular, but also are very comfortable for men.

Color possibilities: Kelly, Navy, Crimson, Plum, Cocoa, Steel, Olive, and Black.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    It may or may not have a built-in padded laptop pocket (like the Buzz has) that will fit laptops up to 13". If it doesn't have a built-in laptop area, it will be able to accept the smaller sizes of Soft Cell. Thoughts?

Please no built-in padded laptop pocket. I don't carry my laptop around that often and like to be able to choose how the space in my bag is allocated. Laptop pockets tend to either take up space or divide it in inconvenient ways.

I've never handled the Buzz, though, so I don't know how that sort of compartment interacts when there isn't a computer in it.

Are there pictures of this legendary vintage backpack?

Please no built-in padded laptop pocket. I don't carry my laptop around that often and like to be able to choose how the space in my bag is allocated. Laptop pockets tend to either take up space or divide it in inconvenient ways.
    Agreed. Those of us who don't necessarily carry a laptop don't need all the padding taking up space, and the soft cell is an elegant solution for those who do.

Quote Originally Posted by eristick View Post
    Agreed. Those of us who don't necessarily carry a laptop don't need all the padding taking up space, and the soft cell is an elegant solution for those who do.
    I completely agree with the statements above.

I have a both a Soft Cell and a Monolith to transport my laptop in a secure manner in and out of my Brain Bag.

The smaller backpack would be my everyday shlepping apparatus.

Plum, Steel and Black Hmmm I may even get 3, 4 if you make a Sapphire.

I can't wait!

This is my next purchase from Tom Bihn. I love my imago but I'd like a small backpack as well. Will it have contrasting colors? I love the new imago blue with contrasting red. Plum or Steel would be nice as well.

And please no built in notebook compartment. I have one with a compartment and that limits my use of it. Plus the one on your backpack won't work for many notebook owners- including me. Let those who want to use it mainly for their computer get a soft cell and the rest of us can use it for everything.

Is there any approximate date?

Volunteer Moderator
    Another vote for no built-in laptop compartment!

Do you have an information as to what size the new bag will be? Will it be between the smart alec and the buzz in size?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0