Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By kinghorne
  • 1 Post By Rocks
  • 6 Post By kinghorne

Thread: It's official .... my first order of TB stuff heading down under.

It's official .... my first order of TB stuff heading down under.

I only recently discovered Tom Bihn bags, .... I didn't know they even existed, although I do live in Australia, so that's probably why.

I placed my first order for the medium café bag in Olive Green/Steel. I agonised over several colours and perused the forum for pictures of the various colour combinations. I liked the Black/Olive as well, but I thought why not add a little bit of colour. I was tempted to go the Burnt Orange/Navy, but just couldn't bring myself to commit. If Navy was available I would have seriously considered that as well. Due to one of the items being on backorder (packing cubes for NF) I still have time to get the Burnt Orange/Navy before it ships ... hmmmmm.

My second purchase was the Night Flight in Black/Wasabi with the 2 x packing cubes. Once again I nearly went with Coyote/Steel, but thought maybe the darker colour would hide any marks over the coming years. Plus at any airport I think its a good thing to blend in .. .

I noticed quite a few people thought the NFTB is too small, but my wife and I pack very light whenever we travel. I usually use a 15 litre size carry on bag for trips away of one week to two weeks and wash as we go. We went to UK and Italy last year for 6 weeks and only took a 25 litre bag each as carry on ..... We actually posted home a couple of clothing items we weren't wearing. I'm hoping this is the bag for me ... it's a long way to send it back if it's not.

I initially came across TB bags by accident, in fact I don't remember how. I instantly liked the Ristretto bags. I thought they'd be ideal for carrying my sketching/watercolour stuff, but when I sent a photo of what I carry to Hanah at HO for advice, she recommended the café bag. I resisted as I really wanted the Ristretto. but her experience and common sense eventually won me over.

Anyway ... I have had a wonderful time reading all your posts and enjoyed your enthusiasm for colour and bags. Never in my wildest dreams did I expect to find such passionate people who love bags. Obviously I need to get out more.

Thank you all for inspiring me to take my initial step in becoming a TB'er. I can see us buying an A30 each before our next overseas trip, but we still have time to savour the café bag and night flight first.

Happy travels

Martin
    Last edited by kinghorne; 08-19-2014 at 03:04 AM.

Welcome, Martin. Yes, we are a bit goofy over bags and other travel stuff on this forum. BTW, is your cafe bag steel exterior, olive interior or the other way around? I have a steel (exterior)/olive(interior) CB patiently awaiting use when late fall/winter arrives. Like you, I prefer to blend in when traveling (it's a delusion, isn't it?), so I ordered this bag. My oh my, the color combo is just gorgeous. When the flap is open and exposing the olive, the steel cordera takes on an aqua tinge. So beautiful!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Hi monkeylady, ...... café bag is Olive exterior and Steel interior. It should look great.

Is there something wrong with the way this thread is displaying? I think it is supposed to have 3 posts (4 when mine is added) but I only see 2. The first one appears to be @monkeylady's, and she's welcoming Martin. It looks very odd, as if the original post is being hidden or suppressed.

Martin, I want to know more about your first order! Did you just get a Cafe Bag or were there accessories? Did you agonize over the purchase or just pull the trigger and hope for the best? Are you already placing your second order before the first arrives? (That happens a lot around here.)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Janine, .... I edited some spelling mistakes on my original post. It must have been while is was pending approval when you came in to read. I can see it okay now.

To answer your question ... I ordered a café bag with clear pouch (will use it as a name and contact number if lost display) and extra key straps.

An update .... I have just cancelled the Night Flight, A-Strap and Packing Cubes from my order.... I just felt uneasy about the cost when I have a bag that currently does the job okay. I want to hear more feedback before going ahead and getting a NF. I'm still getting the Café Bag and the extras though.

Does this bout of buyers remorse exclude me from being a genuine TB-er?

Martin
    Tri-Star: Cardinal/Steel, Tri-Star: Aubergine/Steel, MCB: Olive/Steel, Ristretto 11": Olive/Cayenne, Swift (L): Aubergine/Wasabi

Quote Originally Posted by kinghorne View Post
    Does this bout of buyers remorse exclude me from being a genuine TB-er?

Martin
    Not at all! Some bags don't work for some people. If I had to pay Australian shipping rates, I'd think twice too.
    Ilkyway likes this.

To answer your question ... I ordered a café bag with clear pouch (will use it as a name and contact number if lost display) and extra key straps.
    What a GREAT idea. My luggage tag just broke - I never thought of using a clear OP for such a purpose. A bit pricey for the function, but I expect it would last longer than the cheap plastic number I bought last summer. (Adding a mini clear OP to my wishlist as we speak...)

An update .... I have just cancelled the Night Flight, A-Strap and Packing Cubes from my order.... I just felt uneasy about the cost when I have a bag that currently does the job okay. I want to hear more feedback before going ahead and getting a NF. I'm still getting the Café Bag and the extras though.
    I can understand the hesitation, but I, personally, am so glad I went ahead and ordered the Night Flight. While I had bags that sufficed, this bag is built to organize and built to last. (Those other bags have already been donated or sold.) I'll be taking mine on its inaugural trip tomorrow (by car) and I know it'll hold all the clothes I need for a three-day getaway, plus I'll use a side pocket to hold things I might want to access en route (small water bottle and snacks, for example). And I love that when I take it on its first plane ride next month, I won't have to contend for overhead space and I'll be able to access all the bag's contents during the flight if needed. I plan to post reviews/packing lists after my trips to help shed some light for people who might be on the fence about this bag.

In the mean time, I hope you enjoy your cafe bag! I have my first MCB on its way to me (fingers crossed it will arrive tomorrow) and I'm already not sure about the plum color... I so badly want to order another slew of cafe bags in various colors and sizes, but the cost certainly adds up so quickly that I'm trying to exercise restraint. Also, I didn't end up LOVING my first TB bag (a Synapse 19) and felt some guilt when it sat in my closet for months, but now it's gone to a new home... remorse cured
    much love for parapack

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    Not at all! Some bags don't work for some people. If I had to pay Australian shipping rates, I'd think twice too.
    Thanks Rocks, ... yes, $65 UPS freight to Australia .... Can't afford to make a mistake when ordering. That's the cost of another Café Bag ....If I have to send it back because the NF wouldn't work for me then that's another café bag down the gurgler to return it to TB. I might have to move to the U.S whilst I'm buying TB stuff ...
    Tri-Star: Cardinal/Steel, Tri-Star: Aubergine/Steel, MCB: Olive/Steel, Ristretto 11": Olive/Cayenne, Swift (L): Aubergine/Wasabi

Well, ... my first TB purchase arrived today ... talk about quick, I only ordered it on the 19th ... I think they sent it on the 20th and today is the 25th, .. not bad considering we are a very long way from Seattle.

Anyway .... As mentioned above, I bought the Olive/Steel MCB. This is to carry my sketching/watercolour stuff when I go on sketch crawls. I have it packed and everything fits in comfortably. I probably could have gone with the LCB, but the MCB will do fine. I still have some packing tweaking to do.

I've also bought a pre-used Ristretto 11, in Olive/Cayenne .... It's the older style, but I just love the Olive/Cayenne colour combination. I should have that in my hot little mitts very soon. I will probably convert this into a sketch bag as well and leave it permanently in my car, so I always have everything with me. Nothing worse than seeing a sketching opportunity only to realise that I've left my stuff at home. My sketch journal will fit into the MacBook Air slot.

Now I'm on the lookout for a Tri-Star .... No hurry, ... I'll bide my time. I also want to buy a Swift for my wife as her knitting/embroidery bag ... as a surprise.

Anyway ... Just thought I'd update the thread ... Happy, happy, happy .....

Name:  DSC_0239.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  58.9 KBName:  DSC_0242.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  112.5 KB
    Last edited by kinghorne; 08-25-2014 at 05:19 AM.

Another order making it's way down under! I'm another newbie to TB and am now developing an unhealthy addiction (or maybe its a healthy addiction!) after taking delivery of the most stunning aubergine/wasabi A30, PCBP and large packing cube (for me) and a black/wasabi S25 (for my son) this week. Husband is now very envious of our new bags and is lusting after an A45 or a Tristar for himself. A perfect excuse to add a few more things to the order and add to my collection. The inaugural trip for the A30 isn't until Christmas when we fly to Hobart for a few days.... until then, I'm just going to have to dream!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0