Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thax View Post
    Do the Ego and Super Ego use the same strips? hmmmm...
    That's a great question. Yes, the Ego and the Super Ego use the same strips. I'll add that to the Ego and Super Ego F.A.Q.

Speaking of strips, we took a company field trip to the fabric store the other day and came back with some fabrics to make strips out of that are wildly different from what we usually use. I'll post pictures soon...
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Speaking of strips, we took a company field trip to the fabric store the other day and came back with some fabrics to make strips out of that are wildly different from what we usually use. I'll post pictures soon...
    Awe, man, of course you did right after my order shipped!

Pictures of the new strips

Yellow Vinyl and....what should we call the green strip? It's a Made in Italy fabric. Psychedelic Italian?

Gold Bamboo and Crimson Bamboo.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

I like the green strap... It's er... psychedelic for lack of a better word. Question though, how does the Ego compare to the medium sized Timbuk2 messenger bag in terms of space of the main compartment?

Well, I guess this thread is no longer a 'sneak preview' since I have my Ego in hand... I love it! Thanks!

Same here...got mine yesterday-awesome bag...fun, funky, functional!

Still waiting for a picture of a Super Ego and the new ego side-by-side? Has one been posted yet?

I only have an Ego, but since I was quite torn between what to buy, I've taken a few shots of my bag in use. You can see that even with (today's) moderate amounts of contents, there is still plenty of room for more.

I've been quite happy with my Ego so far. It holds everything I need, has more than enough pockets, and looks great. It feels very sturdy and like it is made very well. The only one thing I could ask for was some sort of quick release for the strap so I can go strapless if I'm just heading to the car or something, but I'm sure that's not what most people like.

Shot 1
    Shot 2

Great pictures! Are you a Flickr member? You could post them to the TOM BIHN Flickr Group.

The Q-AM (Quick-Adjust Messenger) Strap will debut in the next few days. It's not quick release, but it is quick-adjust!

Quote Originally Posted by djca View Post
    Still waiting for a picture of a Super Ego and the new ego side-by-side? Has one been posted yet?
    I found this while doing research on the Super Ego. It's a new review that shows both the Ego, and Super Ego side by side!
    Gear Live: The Tom Bihn Ego Debuts

I hope that the forums, and the Gear Live site don't mind link backs. I don't have a picture host.

Using a: Super Ego (Black, Steel, Wasabi) with seat belt strip (Wasabi), and alternate reflective Strip. Black BrainCell, Wasabi Snake Charmer, Cork Small Organizer Pouch, and Olive green medium organizer pouch.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeL View Post
    I found this while doing research on the Super Ego. It's a new review that shows both the Ego, and Super Ego side by side!
    Thanks for the pic, MikeL! Judging from my Ego, then, I think the Super Ego could swallow me whole!

Quote Originally Posted by Just View Post
    Thanks for the pic, MikeL! Judging from my Ego, then, I think the Super Ego could swallow me whole!
    Yeah I'll definately take the Ego over a Super Ego, if you look at the updated SE photo's, they have a model shot and it looks HUGE on the guy. http://www.tombihn.com/blog/node/275 I don't think I could handle such a massive bag.

So for those of you who've had these for a while..... When you have it fully loaded, does it tip forward? I have that problem with both my ID and my Smart Alec. The Smart Alec is actually a little too big anyway so it looked like the Ego would be a better solution.

Quote Originally Posted by tessa View Post
    So for those of you who've had these for a while..... When you have it fully loaded, does it tip forward? I have that problem with both my ID and my Smart Alec. The Smart Alec is actually a little too big anyway so it looked like the Ego would be a better solution.
    Unless a bag has a boxy shape and a rigid bottom (like the Empire Builder briefcase), it will probably tip over. Messenger bags don't typically have that kind of bottom because they're designed to conform more to your body rather than stick out so that they're comfortable to wear when you're walking or riding your bike.

The Empire Builder (and the Zephyr) has been improved so that it tips over a lot less than it used to. Even still, bags like the Empire Builder can still fall over if you keep the main compartment empty and load the front pocket with heavy stuff, for example. Weighting the bottom of the bag so that it wouldn't tip over in any situation would make the bag pretty hard to carry/use.

In short: If you're looking for a bag that doesn't tip over as much, consider the Empire Builder (or the Zephyr, available soon!)

Volunteer Moderator
    I really haven't ever run into a situation where I needed the Ego to stand alone and not tip over. It's always either on me, or leaning against something, or lying flat on the ground. It might even look funny if I ever did have it standing free, since, like Darcy said, it's not really designed for that kinda purpose...

Actually, now I'm curious. Why do you need it to stand up by itself and not tip over?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0